Proposal: How can Ott get their 2019 1st back?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Outside of a miracle, the Sens best move is to tank, trade Duchene and Stone for futures and rebuild. The only glaring problem with that is they don't have their 2019 1st round pick.

Also, before the "Avs did it" people chime in with troll comments, the Avs offseason coming off their joke of a season is 17 billion percent different than the current Sens offseason.

So assuming the Sens embrace the tank, how do they get their pick back, being a deal directly with the Avalanche or getting a third team involved getting creative?

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
Stone extended. So only in January, and that is if Ottawa isn’t at the bottom of the league. If they are, Ottawa will probably have to add.

Reactions: Nucker101

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Nothing short of overpayment. Talking best players, prospects and probably a 1st from a later season. Colorado playing with house money with that pick so I doubt they let it go.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why the Senators didn't get a guaranteed 1st from San Jose is beyond me. I think they want a 1st they'll have to give up 1 of Duchene or Stone.

Because Buffalo already had dibs on the Sharks 2019 1st if they made the playoffs (as a condition of the Kane trade). Both teams are getting a 1st from SJS---it's just a question of who's getting '19 and who's getting '20.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Nothing short of overpayment. Talking best players, prospects and probably a 1st from a later season. Colorado playing with house money with that pick so I doubt they let it go.

This. They already screwed it up. Why make it even worse by overpaying Colorado for the pick?

Reactions: exporta

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Duchene + Stone + atleast one extension. Would require a third team if the AVS don't want Duchene back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Stone extended. So only in January, and that is if Ottawa isn’t at the bottom of the league. If they are, Ottawa will probably have to add.

Can't see that.

A team without Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard is beyond garbage and will finish at the bottom, which raises the value for Ottawa by a mile.

Reactions: exporta

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado would be dumb to trade it tbh, at least for anything that Sens have to offer.

Having Makinnon- Hughes potentially down the middle going forward would be huge.... and their pick should be low enough that they can get another D prospect to add to the bunch. Colorado is in a very good spot going forward I think.

Any trade ott makes to get pick, just makes that pick gain even more value.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Given the value that ottawa has gotten in return for their players so far I would think there is no way they get the pick back. Their best hope is to try to get an unprotected pick from another team in exchange for stone or Duchene. They should probably target a bubble team like Dallas, New Jersey, Florida, etc....no offense to those teams, but I just don't see them as locks for the playoffs. Target one and pray to the lottery gods.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Even if Ottawa does finish dead last all that does is guarantee the 4th overall pick. And while Ottawa is bad I can see the 1st being in the 4-6 range after the lotto. Just like this past season when they also finished nearly in last place and only got the #4 pick. Dont get me wrong the Avs are in possession of a guaranteed top 10 pick but some of the proposals are ridiculous. Tkachuk and Chabot for their first back? Unless its Hughes that's horrific for Ottawa.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
All Dorion had to do was not draft Brady Tkachuk. If the Avs end up with a top 5 pick next year that going end up being quite a mistake.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Outside of a miracle, the Sens best move is to tank, trade Duchene and Stone for futures and rebuild. The only glaring problem with that is they don't have their 2019 1st round pick.

Also, before the "Avs did it" people chime in with troll comments, the Avs offseason coming off their joke of a season is 17 billion percent different than the current Sens offseason.

So assuming the Sens embrace the tank, how do they get their pick back, being a deal directly with the Avalanche or getting a third team involved getting creative?

it could be a top 3 pick--so it would take a miracle

they may have gotten it for Karlsson

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

They can't tank. It's that straightforward, even if it falls outside the assumed scenario. The only way they get their pick back is to de-escalate its value by going all-in on this year to insure its not a lottery pick.

As long as it represents any lottery chance of drafting Hughes, Colorado's not giving it up.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They can't tank. It's that straightforward, even if it falls outside the assumed scenario. The only way they get their pick back is to de-escalate its value by going all-in on this year to insure its not a lottery pick.

As long as it represents any lottery chance of drafting Hughes, Colorado's not giving it up.
Did you think about that? If they escalate their performance, the pick has less value and they don't need it back with the same desperation they do if it's the lottery winner. What would be crazy is if they play their asses off, finish in like the 10 spot, and then that selection wins the lottery. That's when you just fold up the franchise and do something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad