How Big is Jarnkrok (Literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I was never high on Jarnkrok. And was indifferent when he was traded. Just glad the team made the playoffs... too bad DRWs weren't healthier.

Good experience for the future core, none-the-less.

Jarnkrok should have been part of the future core, though.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
He still looks exactly the same as he did a few years ago. If he's added weight or muscle it's not much.

People will get over this trade soon I think. He won't tear up the league next season, and I doubt he ever does.

I agree, he probably won't ever tear up the league. But if in 2 or 3 years he turns into a 50-60 point two way center and the wings are sitting here with a 33 year old Weiss(which who knows what we'd be getting from him), a 35 year old Z, a 37 year old Datsyuk, my point is that they would probably be declining and the only possible top 6 center under 30 years old would be Sheahan. And all the possible top 6 center prospects will all be either be playing their last year of Jr., in college, or first year in Grand Rapids, AKA not ready to step into the NHL and fill the void immediately.

That's what I don't like about the Jarnkrok trade, In a few years all our top six centers will be old and on the decline, and there won't be any NHL ready prospect ready to step in, this is all of course barring any major trades or free agent signings but this is after all Ken Holland we're talking about. But if Datsyuk and Z keep playing at a high level then I guess it won't be as big of a deal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree, he probably won't ever tear up the league. But if in 2 or 3 years he turns into a 50-60 point two way center and the wings are sitting here with a 33 year old Weiss(which who knows what we'd be getting from him), a 35 year old Z, a 37 year old Datsyuk, my point is that they would probably be declining and the only possible top 6 center under 30 years old would be Sheahan. And all the possible top 6 center prospects will all be either be playing their last year of Jr., in college, or first year in Grand Rapids, AKA not ready to step into the NHL and fill the void immediately.

That's what I don't like about the Jarnkrok trade, In a few years all our top six centers will be old and on the decline, and there won't be any NHL ready prospect ready to step in, this is all of course barring any major trades or free agent signings but this is after all Ken Holland we're talking about. But if Datsyuk and Z keep playing at a high level then I guess it won't be as big of a deal.

Not sure when they will be ready.. But worth pointing out that over the last two months we've added seven center prospects between the ages of 17 and 21. So that void was at least addressed after the fact, even though I am not a fan of the trade itself at all.

Also I think Larkin could make the team in 3 years. They are really pushing AA to play center, and with his comb of physical gifts and skill that might just work out.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Not sure when they will be ready.. But worth pointing out that over the last two months we've added seven center prospects between the ages of 17 and 21. So that void was at least addressed after the fact, even though I am not a fan of the trade itself at all.

Also I think Larkin could make the team in 3 years. They are really pushing AA to play center, and with his comb of physical gifts and skill that might just work out.

Oh I know they just added a **** load of center prospects. But my point is that none of them are as NHL ready as Jarnkrok is right now. Also IMO a player will not produce consistently in the NHL until they play at least two full seasons, some players take less time, some more. But I don't expect much from players in their first couple of seasons in the NHL.

So while Larkin(and other center prospects) may be ready for the NHL in 3 years I wouldn't say he could handle top six center duties and produce. It would take a bit of time. Whereas if we had Jarnkrok still he could have been put in the lineup this year for Detroit, probably as a winger, and then moved back to center once players start to decline/injuries. Then in three years we potentially have a top six center that has adjusted and is established in the NHL ready to take over center duties on the top two lines.

But hey, maybe everything works out fine and Dats and Z play at a high level up until they're almost 40 and some of the recent centers drafted take some large steps in their development and are ready for the NHL sooner than expected and make the jump smoothly. I'm just saying having Jarnkok around as insurance would have been nice.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If Nyquist seemed taller there is no way Jarnkrok is 6 feet tall. Trying to tell on the ice can be difficult, though.

But FWIW; I'm all of 5'8'' (5'9'' on a "good day") and when I stood next to Nyquist while he was at my work he was, at the most, two inches taller than me. I work out and most days are "good days" so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's 5'11''. But the first thing I said to myself was I'm glad Nyquist is as quick as he is because if he was slow he'd probably have a much harder time in the NHL. He's definitely around 170 lbs. I wouldn't go any higher, absolutely no way he's over 180.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eyeballing someone's weight is incredibly tricky. I'll always take that with a gigantic grain of salt.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Eyeballing someone's weight is incredibly tricky. I'll always take that with a gigantic grain of salt.

What we need is one of those carnival workers to confirm.

I also feel like this thread has come to completion regarding a prospect that isn't even on the team anymore. This could be a great topic on the Predators forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA