How Big is Jarnkrok (Literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Just read an interesting article:

http://nightmareonhelmstreet.com/2014-articles/sunday-musings.html

"The Legwand trade has been pretty much torn apart by everyone. The Wings gave up Eaves, what ended up being a 2nd round pick, and Calle Jarnkrok the team’s top center prospect. After the trade, Holland had said publicly that they didn’t feel Jarnkrok was going to be anything more than a bottom 6 center. Like most, I didn’t really understand this move, I felt like Jarnkrok was a really important prospect and the return for him wasn’t all that great for a player who was supposedly a great talent. Well, I did some research and think I may have figured out why the Wings don’t feel he is a top 6 center. As a Red Wing, Jarnkrok was listed at 6 feet 188 lbs. However, as a Predator, he is listed at 5 foot 11, 156 pounds. Jarnkrok was already considered small the way the Wings listed him. For him to “lose” an inch and 32 pounds, well that’s a lot. He might just be a guy who just can’t put on weight. It’s really hard to be a center if you’re small, and even harder if you aren’t all that strong. Datsyuk is small, but he is extremely strong. Helm is small, but his elite speed and strength allows him to be shifty enough, but he is a guy who always seems to be hurt. I think his size made the Wings real nervous and it probably led to the devaluation of him from a top 6 center to a bottom 6 center."

That is interesting to say the least

Edit: "I am not trying to create a "crying" thread about Jarnkrok. I am just wondering if this article is accurate. It is simply analysis of a previous event, that in all truth I was curious about just because I hope this player can do well in the NHL one day.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am a Jarnkrok fan, but I can tell you the first time they rolled into Milwaukee last year, Nyquist was still down. Both me and my buddy who grew up in the Detroit area and is also a huge Wings fan immediately said Nyquist is bigger, noticeably so. He was a little taller and absolutely thicker and we don't think of Nyquist as a big player at all. But he looked to have an inch and about 25 lbs on Calle, but that is sometimes harder to tell with the gear on.

With that said, it is over people turn the page already, we would have found something out when he signed with Brynas too I guess.

By the way a lot of was made of Nill saying Zetterberg was sub 6' and under or around 170 lbs soaking wet in his Dallas press conference. We lie about Z's weight, he put on more than he had, but I seriously doubt he is more than 180 if that given Nill leaking that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just read an interesting article:

http://nightmareonhelmstreet.com/2014-articles/sunday-musings.html

"The Legwand trade has been pretty much torn apart by everyone. The Wings gave up Eaves, what ended up being a 2nd round pick, and Calle Jarnkrok the team’s top center prospect. After the trade, Holland had said publicly that they didn’t feel Jarnkrok was going to be anything more than a bottom 6 center. Like most, I didn’t really understand this move, I felt like Jarnkrok was a really important prospect and the return for him wasn’t all that great for a player who was supposedly a great talent. Well, I did some research and think I may have figured out why the Wings don’t feel he is a top 6 center. As a Red Wing, Jarnkrok was listed at 6 feet 188 lbs. However, as a Predator, he is listed at 5 foot 11, 156 pounds. Jarnkrok was already considered small the way the Wings listed him. For him to “lose” an inch and 32 pounds, well that’s a lot. He might just be a guy who just can’t put on weight. It’s really hard to be a center if you’re small, and even harder if you aren’t all that strong. Datsyuk is small, but he is extremely strong. Helm is small, but his elite speed and strength allows him to be shifty enough, but he is a guy who always seems to be hurt. I think his size made the Wings real nervous and it probably led to the devaluation of him from a top 6 center to a bottom 6 center."

That is interesting to say the least

They posted his draft height and draft weight in that article, and on nhl.com

He's not that light, that would be assuming he's gained 0 lbs in over 3 years. Not the case.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You don't know that's what would have happened.

Yeah, however it was a realistic possibility.

We don't know that Hossa's career wouldn't have ended on a freak injury in November of 2009 or on the surgery table that summer had we signed him? It could have and we have only talked about that for 5+ years.

There was smoke since Christmas.

Though I agree more than likely they have his draft weight on accident. I don't think he was listed that small on the in house media guides I saw when he was with Milwaukee after the trade, but I think his weight did drop to 172 I want to say there. Of course most guys do lose weight over the course of a season something we don't talk about a lot. These guys weights go up and down a little throughout the year in the range of around 10 lbs.

He is absolutely sub 6' though, that part isn't a lie and while older like I said Nyquist who is no beast size wise was noticeably bigger. Still I was really impressed all year with Calle's positioning offensively and defensively, his hockey IQ jumps out a lot in person, a good player who will fit well with Lavy and has a big opportunity in Nashville. I am rooting for him for a variety of reasons including he will raise some of our other prospects values in my opinion if he takes off in terms of trade value, even if these threads will annoy me given my belief he was as good as gone.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, however it was a realistic possibility.

We don't know that Hossa's career wouldn't have ended on a freak injury in November of 2009 or on the surgery table that summer had we signed him? It could have and we have only talked about that for 5+ years.

There was smoke since Christmas.

Though I agree more than likely they have his draft weight on accident. I don't think he was listed that small on the in house media guides I saw when he was with Milwaukee after the trade, but I think his weight did drop to 172 I want to say there. Of course most guys do lose weight over the course of a season something we don't talk about a lot. These guys weights go up and down a little throughout the year in the range of around 10 lbs.

He is absolutely sub 6' though, that part isn't a lie and while older like I said Nyquist who is no beast size wise was noticeably bigger. Still I was really impressed all year with Calle's positioning offensively and defensively, his hockey IQ jumps out a lot in person, a good player who will fit well with Lavy and has a big opportunity in Nashville. I am rooting for him for a variety of reasons including he will raise some of our other prospects values in my opinion if he takes off in terms of trade value, even if these threads will annoy me given my belief he was as good as gone.

He's probably around 5'11 and 172 like you said. Maybe 175~ish.

He's most certainly not 156 lbs.

Don't think this threads going to make it too far, not a whole lot to discuss. The height and weight are clearly from his draft year and not up to date.

Edit: random, but Pulkkinen is a guy who looks shorter in person than I expected.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eliteprospects have him at 181cm and 80kg.

That's 5'11 + ½ inches and 176lbs.

With those kind of measurements, you are still kind of a thin for a hockeyplayer.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I am 6'0" 170lbs and I have played against guys about 6'6" 230lbs and they can't knock me off the puck. Balance and leg strength are huge in hockey. Weight is overrated.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am 6'0" 170lbs and I have played against guys about 6'6" 230lbs and they can't knock me off the puck. Balance and leg strength are huge in hockey. Weight is overrated.

True and in Jarnkrok's favor is he uses this concept well on defense. On offense he more often looks for holes, but you can see it developing on that side of the puck because he uses his body and leg strength defensively once he wrong sides players with his positioning. He doesn't use it offensively hardly at all to date, but its existence on the defensive side of the puck leads me to believe it is coming offensively more often down the road.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Leg strength, core strength, and balance are certainly more important and more telling than just weight, I agree. On the other hand, if a 6'6" 230lb guy can't knock a 6'0" 170lb guy off the puck, the former is not very good at hockey himself. And you won't find any of those at the NHL level ;)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He still looks exactly the same as he did a few years ago. If he's added weight or muscle it's not much.

People will get over this trade soon I think. He won't tear up the league next season, and I doubt he ever does.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
He does not weigh 156 lbs. Anyone that believes he does is just trying to justify the trade.

It was a garbage trade regardless of how Jarnkrok develops.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Järnkrok didnt look overly impressive during this last world championships but he is still young. I guess we'll found out soon enough if he can cut it in the NHL or not. DRW got other prospects on level with him so it's not the end of the world.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Weight's weight but he had 7 points in his first 12 NHL games. He'll bulk up but his skills are lightning in a bottle.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Weight's weight but he had 7 points in his first 12 NHL games. He'll bulk up but his skills are lightning in a bottle.
He also had 0 points in 10 games at the World Champs. He looked like by far the least skilled guy on his line with Nyquist and SEL player Linus Klasen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, he was good when Nashville could try him without losing because they were out of the playoff race. They had few highscoring games, but he had 39% faceoff percentage etc. flaws on his game. Maybe they should put him on a wing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, he was good when Nashville could try him without losing because they were out of the playoff race. They had few highscoring games, but he had 39% faceoff percentage etc. flaws on his game. Maybe they should put him on a wing.

It's not like the other team wasn't trying though. 7 pts in 12 games is good regardless.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

He had 9 points in 12 games. Those are great numbers any way you look at it. He outscored Daniel Cleary, and played like 45 fewer games.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
He had 9 points in 12 games. Those are great numbers any way you look at it. He outscored Daniel Cleary, and played like 45 fewer games.

But he outscored Jarnkrok by 30 in the heart and grit category. What else could you ask for from good ol' danny boy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I was never high on Jarnkrok. And was indifferent when he was traded. Just glad the team made the playoffs... too bad DRWs weren't healthier.

Good experience for the future core, none-the-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad