How Bedard is becoming face of NHL

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Highly touted first overall going to a team not only in a major media market but one that also has a far-flung and expansive fanbase thanks to a massive Chicago diaspora essentially everywhere.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If the NHL, NFL, MLB, and NBA want maximum profits and exposure, the Hawks, Bears, Cubs,* and Bulls getting high-profile players and/or winning does wonders for the leagues' respective bottom lines. And that's seemingly still the case even for a franchise that's attracted a helluva lot of animosity as of late like the Blackhawks, to put it lightly.

* White Sox intentionally omitted not as a slight, but because their fanbase has remained much more localized for a variety of reasons, the most major factor being the team's odd insistence for extremely localized broadcasting and marketing for most of its history.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Is Bedard really thought to be a "generational talent"? Do we really expect him to be on par with a McDavid, Crosby or Gretzky?

But yeah - I highly touted #1 pick going to a major hockey market like Chicago is definitely going to sell some merch. I just think the "face of the NHL' talk is more than a little overblown.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is Bedard really thought to be a "generational talent"? Do we really expect him to be on par with a McDavid, Crosby or Gretzky?

But yeah - I highly touted #1 pick going to a major hockey market like Chicago is definitely going to sell some merch. I just think the "face of the NHL' talk is more than a little overblown.
Does Bedard have a personality that the NHL can sell? Is he comfortable giving out more than the carte blanche cliche answers of one shift at a time, dump the puck in, 110%, have jump?

At some point, I'm sure someone is going to ask him about the Beach situation. Someone better be helping him prepare to answer that, especially his own people, not just the Hawks.

NHL needs more than just the most talented player in a large market. I mean, even McDavid on the Rangers, Bruins, Hawks, Kings, doesn't change who he is.

Joe Burrow, has this cool, ice water in his veins level of confidence and it shows in his pressers. Mahomes has that Kermit voice and hair, but is comfortable talking. NFL has the advantage since they have set plays each snap and the QB can go through the sequence, pre snap reads, etc. Gives the QB more to talk about.

NHL needs something like that from Bedard. But, if that's not who he is, can't change it.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's a lot of ground to cover between being picked #1 overall and becoming the face of the NHL.

Let's see how training camp goes, and take it from there.

• Love
Reactions: frontsfan67

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
At some point, I'm sure someone is going to ask him about the Beach situation. Someone better be helping him prepare to answer that, especially his own people, not just the Hawks.

Earlier this year, some idiots tried to paint Bedard as a racist. Bedard has a superstition about his stick prior to game time (he will not allow anyone to touch it). So there is a video of mainly Indigenous kids trying to tap him or give him a high five. Bedard, who does this to everyone, held his stick out of reach, up in the air and walked past the kids, something he does before each game.

There were a couple of people on social media, and on blogs that went to the ends of the Earth to paint Bedard as a racist, who "only has time for White children." He handled it realitely well, ignoring the bait. Another time, he was giving autographs, and a women prodded her daughter to ask Bedard out on a date. He laughed, and said he was flattered but already had a gf. It was super awkward seeing it take place, and I felt sorry for Bedard.

Having said that, from all accounts, it appears he has his head on straight, and is good with the public.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Earlier this year, some idiots tried to paint Bedard as a racist. Bedard has a superstition about his stick prior to game time (he will not allow anyone to touch it). So there is a video of mainly Indigenous kids trying to tap him or give him a high five. Bedard, who does this to everyone, held his stick out of reach, up in the air and walked past the kids, something he does before each game.

At a certain level you can't afford ignoring the fans anymore even if it goes against your superstitions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Helps that hes a team first guy. IIRC after Canada won the WJ's a reporter kept asking about his historic performance and every time he deflected to how great his teammates were and it was only possible because of them etc.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

From that team, I believe Kane is the only one still playing in the NHL, let alone the Blackhawks

What do we expect Bedard to say about a situation that happened when he was 7 or 8 years old with player/staff he wouldnt know about?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From that team, I believe Kane is the only one still playing in the NHL, let alone the Blackhawks

What do we expect Bedard to say about a situation that happened when he was 7 or 8 years old with player/staff he wouldnt know about?
Bedard just needs to give a smart answer to protect his own brand.

Something that includes some of the following:
1) What happened shouldn't have happened
2) Can't put trying to win ahead of people's lives
3) I want to be part of a leadership group that creates a good team environment that players feel comfortable coming to, to talk
4) Would want to make sure he and the leadership group follows up with those who have the power to address any matter that comes up.
5) Doesn't know Bowman, Coach Q, or the players back then, so can't/won't comment on them.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Bedard just needs to give a smart answer to protect his own brand.

Something that includes some of the following:
1) What happened shouldn't have happened
2) Can't put trying to win ahead of people's lives
3) I want to be part of a leadership group that creates a good team environment that players feel comfortable coming to, to talk
4) Would want to make sure he and the leadership group follows up with those who have the power to address any matter that comes up.
5) Doesn't know Bowman, Coach Q, or the players back then, so can't/won't comment on them.
Bedard should not have to answer anyone about the Kyle Beach situation, since it predates his time with the Blackhawks organisation by 13 years. Bedard is an athlete, not a politician. Should Bedard also have to answer questions about Bobby Hull's domestic abuse, or Patrick Kane's assault on cab drivers, or rape allegations too?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Makes sense that they'd want to move on from this face.
C_bUfE0UMAAmYm0

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Like him or not, McDavid is the face of the NHL

Reactions: McFlash97

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There were a couple of people on social media, and on blogs that went to the ends of the Earth to paint Bedard as a racist, who "only has time for White children." He handled it realitely well, ignoring the bait. Another time, he was giving autographs, and a women prodded her daughter to ask Bedard out on a date. He laughed, and said he was flattered but already had a gf. It was super awkward seeing it take place, and I felt sorry for Bedard.

That was a super cringe moment, I have a young daughter and I cannot imagine ever, ever putting her up to something like that.

I can only imagine the awkward moments that a star athlete has to put up with day in, day out. Someone on the level of Gretzky, Crosby or McDavid has to have the patience of a saint.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That was a super cringe moment, I have a young daughter and I cannot imagine ever, ever putting her up to something like that.

I can only imagine the awkward moments that a star athlete has to put up with day in, day out. Someone on the level of Gretzky, Crosby or McDavid has to have the patience of a saint.
Young daughter here too, totally agree, terrible position for her to be in.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This thread is so cringe. You need to be the best in the game for starters to be the face. Secondly there is nothing Bedard has shown personality wise to be the face at this young age , lastly the McDavid has a personality of a door opinions by absolute Homer's seems to be so out of touch, you start to wonder if people watch anyone outside thier region ? Bedard is the same guy who acted like a jerk and ignored a young girl during the CHL playoff drive caught in camera. How is he going to handle the NHL fanbase ? It's too early.

McDavid is actually quite personable and pretty funny. It's a failure on the NHLs side to portray that properly. Secondly they will make the exact same goofup with Bedard. Doesn't matter if it's Chicago. You just know Chicago fans are going to do what Chicago fans do. Pretend they have the best...Lastly Bedard has a long way to go to catch McDavid in anything. You will see the gap between them when the Oilers play the Hawks this year. This is not a McDavid vs Crosby comparison where McDavids otherwordly talent basically put him on par with Crosby from the first puck drop. Just hope Bedard can keep improving the way McDavid has Goodluck.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This thread is so cringe. You need to be the best in the game for starters to be the face. Secondly there is nothing Bedard has shown personality wise to be the face at this young age , lastly the McDavid has a personality of a door opinions by absolute Homer's seems to be so out of touch, you start to wonder if people watch anyone outside thier region ? Bedard is the same guy who acted like a jerk and ignored a young girl during the CHL playoff drive caught in camera. How is he going to handle the NHL fanbase ? It's too early.
How did Bedard "act like a jerk?" Or are you just an entitled Oilers fan, who is mad the NHL didn't gift you another generational player in the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad