How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's getting older so it's natural his pts start to sink, and it looks like they are. But amazingly, no matter how slow he is or fans making fun of his boring approach, he still somehow gets pts. He's also good on faceoffs.

In isolation I dont think he's been a bad player at all. It's just his contract being $11M eats up so much cap space, and his style of play doesn't flow well with the other core players who are all faster.

If JT cant park himself close to net to bang in close range goals because opposing players are blocking shots or he's getting pushed out, he's pretty much invisible.
The issue is hes 33 not 38...

He got carried to a 65 pt year this year in the reg and had 2 pts in 7 games in the playoffs when his winger sucked and he couldnt generate anything himself

Look at Stamkos, Giroux, Kopitar, Backstrom, getzlaf, bergeron, Pavalski etc in their ages 33 seasons and then see how they played next 2-3 years

Tavares looks like he is a 38/39 year old just trying to get through 1 more year of NHL hockey. He has looked like this for 1.5years now

His decline has been rapid

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
I think they try him on the wing next year to see what they'll have after this contract. I don't think he's cooked like some of the overreactors here but they'll want a stronger option at 2C to win in the next 4 years.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Id also happily try him at wing. And I'd be thrilled for him to re-up at a discount after this contract.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Id also happily try him at wing. And I'd be thrilled for him to re-up at a discount after this contract.

The skating is gone of course, but his hands have also died. He is always treating the puck like a hot potato, killing plays (and the PP) in the offensive zone as a result.

If he wants to take the Spezza route of 1 year 1 mil (which won't happen obviously), then maybe. Otherwise, I wish him the best.

Reactions: klmdg and TMLife17

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wing seems like the place for him. Take the draw, move over. He can still work and grind, but he can't carry the play, puck or finish like the used to

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
This is the best JT solution:

He won’t waive. He’s not marner worried about his next contract. He just wants to stay in Toronto and keep life stable for his family.

So here’s what you do: Matt Murray him. Tell him to take the year off. Let him “recover”. Put him on LTiR, use his salary cap space to add players, then bring him back for the playoffs ala Mark Stone. It’s doable if he agrees to it. It’s time to make Auston captain anyways.

Reactions: klmdg and TMLife17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He won’t waive. He’s not marner worried about his next contract. He just wants to stay in Toronto and keep life stable for his family.

So here’s what you do: Matt Murray him. Tell him to take the year off. Let him “recover”. Put him on LTiR, use his salary cap space to add players, then bring him back for the playoffs ala Mark Stone. It’s doable if he agrees to it. It’s time to make Auston captain anyways.
good solution except we leave him on ltir for the playoffs as well

Last edited:

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

That’s really the only option besides playing the year out. Because even if he waives or asks for a trade we can’t part with the assets that will be required to move him. Not sure why we can’t LtIR him, everyone else is doing it. Make some shit up we have supposed infinite resources.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I know the LTIR strategy teams do, but does the player at least have to be injured? Does the league look into it?

If Edmonton suddenly said McDavid is going on LTIR tomorrow, is it that easy to do?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I know the LTIR strategy teams do, but does the player at least have to be injured? Does the league look into it?

If Edmonton suddenly said McDavid is going on LTIR tomorrow, is it that easy to do?
If the player says “my back hurts” there is no doctor who can discredit that. The key is that the player has to play ball. If he refuses, you can’t do anything about it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I feel he has 1 year left. That’s how I’m feeling about him. At this point he is basically the 3rd year Marleau. Only this time we aren’t giving up a 1st. Just let him play it out and walk away. I don’t have anything against him, just move on after this year.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Think this needs a clean break.

You go to him, and tell him that currently as things stand the organization doesn't think they are going to renew him, and see if there's any pathway towards moving him elsewhere.

If there isn't, you let him play out the final year of his deal - I just don't see the value in bringing him back at a reduced number for a role lower in the lineup, when you can fill those spots with younger, more effective players in free agency. That middle class of forwards is always available every July 1st.

I don't blame Tavares for much of this, but ultimately, you have to just turn the page and start cleansing the mojo here a little bit.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Tell him hes not getting an extension. Offer him around the league at 50% retained for futures. Move on. Give Matty the captaincy.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That’s really the only option besides playing the year out. Because even if he waives or asks for a trade we can’t part with the assets that will be required to move him. Not sure why we can’t LtIR him, everyone else is doing it. Make some shit up we have supposed infinite resources.

What assets?

If Tavares wants to go, it's very simple.

You find a 3rd party team that is interested in accumulating picks for retention slots this year. It probably costs a 2nd or 3rd round pick to retain $5.5m cap / $450k salary.

Whatever team he's going to, is probably willing to pay "more" than a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get Tavares for 1 year at $5.5m.

That being said, the LTIR angle is certainly an interesting one. Would give the Leafs a ridiculous amount of flexibility next year.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
It has to be a meritocracy. If a player can't keep up with the pace of play and makes your powerplay much worse then the coach has to put that player in the right spot to somewhat succeed. Third line wing with 2nd PP or no PP time. This is a lost year that you have to ride through until you recapture the Cap from a couple of players that aren't contributing to the level of their paycheque.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Come to him, ask to waive the NMC. If he says no, remind him he isn't getting re-signed and you're going to name Matthews the captain for 2024-2025.

John played well here, but he doesn't deserve any special treatment. He isn't Dave Keon or Mats Sundin. He's laid multiple eggs here in Toronto when it counted most.

I think there's a scenario he's traded for peanuts and some retention. I hope its is this summer, because it could lead to retaining Bertuzzi for literally half JT's salary.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am sure the Leafs will resign him because it's what Toronto does, but I agree with those who say that he should be left to play out the final year of his deal (since he won't waive his NMC) and then let go. What is the point of resigning him to a $4 or $5 million per year contract? At some point it's okay to just move one and take a different approach.

Reactions: seventieslord

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I am sure the Leafs will resign him because it's what Toronto does, but I agree with those who say that he should be left to play out the final year of his deal (since he won't waive his NMC) and then let go. What is the point of resigning him to a $4 or $5 million per year contract? At some point it's okay to just move one and take a different approach.

They issue with re-signing him is he's declining rapidly. I doubt he's worth 5m at the end of next season. He's barely worth it now.

I see a Spezza level decline coming from him and I don't think I'm the only one expecting it.

Reactions: seventieslord

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They issue with re-signing him is he's declining rapidly. I doubt he's worth 5m at the end of next season. He's barely worth it now.

I see a Spezza level decline coming from him and I don't think I'm the only one expecting it.
I don't know how much he will decline, but even if he doesn't I'm not sure I see the point in bringing him back in any event. It will have been 7 years. There will be lots of other ways to replace his 25 goals.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he truly wants to win here, he'll sign for under $3m. Otherwise see yah.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he truly wants to win here, he'll sign for under $3m. Otherwise see yah.
Even if he were willing to do that, what is the value of having him back? Faceoffs? Honestly, what else does he provide that is so critical that it can't be replaced by some other guy, even if it costs a bit more? I think sometimes a change is needed even if it means passing on cap savings. There is a cleansing that I think should happen here, and Tavares is part of what should be cleansed.

Reactions: ToneDog

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think you ride out the last year. Then either sign him to a big discount or let him walk. If we have to also acquire a 2C this summer it will make it really tough to fix the D and G. You have to give up premium assets to acquire a 2C. LTIR him before the deadline and use that cap space to add a really good forward at the deadline.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Even if he were willing to do that, what is the value of having him back? Faceoffs? Honestly, what else does he provide that is so critical that it can't be replaced by some other guy, even if it costs a bit more? I think sometimes a change is needed even if it means passing on cap savings. There is a cleansing that I think should happen here, and Tavares is part of what should be cleansed.
Agree with your position but at the right/discounted price I do not mind him here playing #3LW/C.

Of course if he is part of what needs to be cleansed, you move on but I don't know whether that is the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad