How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would have been fine if he was slotted in as the leafs #3 center. Time to move on.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
John Tavares @$11 mil cap hit outproduced Reaves, Kampf, Dewar, McCabe and Edmundson by 1 single point in this years playoffs. Those are 4th line players and defense first Dmen.,

View attachment 865313

When Tavares era ends Leaf Nation will look back retrospectively and conclude his signing was a BIG mistake both at cost, contribution and driving up internal Leafs salaries.
Defense wins championships...shit, not that one
Strength down the middle...shit, not that one either
Plus/minus tells the story...damn, another swing and miss

Hold on, gotta move these heavy ass goalposts.

Points, yeah yeah, that's my measure. Points.

f***ing loser

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He needs to go.
But what I think will happen is that he will sign a 3-4yrs deal at 3mil per to stay and retire as a Leafs.

Defense wins championships...shit, not that one
Strength down the middle...shit, not that one either
Plus/minus tells the story...damn, another swing and miss

Hold on, gotta move these heavy ass goalposts.

Points, yeah yeah, that's my measure. Points.

f***ing loser
You forgot faceoffs

Reactions: Gallagbi

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Tavares signing had nothing to do with what our young stars got paid (this narrative has been debunked repeatedly), but otherwise a fair take to call the signing a mistake

That's just like, uh, your opinion man.

Tavares absolutely set the bar and he was quickly passed by Matthews and Marner as better players which put them in a tough spot when Dubas had no backbone to get real RFA deals out of either of them.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think his time has come. I am ok with him staying on the Leafs, but not as captain and not at 11M. Next year is what it is, but I think he should wear an A next year and then sign with us for like 2-3M.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's just like, uh, your opinion man.

Tavares absolutely set the bar and he was quickly passed by Matthews and Marner as better players which put them in a tough spot when Dubas had no backbone to get real RFA deals out of either of them.

It’s not actually.
Matthews deal split the difference of Eichel and McDavid’s deals as everyone expected.
Marner then used Matthews as his comparable.
It goes down exactly the same if JT is never signed.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It’s not actually.
Matthews deal split the difference of Eichel and McDavid’s deals as everyone expected.
Marner then used Matthews as his comparable.
It goes down exactly the same if JT is never signed.
Matthews deal didnt split the difference

He got 13.5-14.5M on a 8 year deal

They got 10 and 12.5 on 8 year deal

Split the difference is 11.25M on 8

Matthews got 11.634 x 5

This ignores that Mcdavids ELC (2016, 2017, 2018) > Matthews Career years (2021, 2022, and 2024) and Matthews off his ELC was much closer to Eichel than Mcdavid

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
John Tavares @$11 mil cap hit outproduced Reaves, Kampf, Dewar, McCabe and Edmundson by 1 single point in this years playoffs. Those are 4th line players and defense first Dmen.,

View attachment 865313

When Tavares era ends Leaf Nation will look back retrospectively and conclude his signing was a BIG mistake both at cost, contribution and driving up internal Leafs salaries.
Some of us have been saying that since the day he signed.

I have nothing against Tavares, but that signing was a huge mistake by Dubas, and it has cost us some of the prime years of Matthews and Nylander, and others.

I'm sorry JT didn't get to win the Cup here, but I'll be glad when that contract is over.

If he wants to stay after that, it has to be as a coach or something like that.

Last edited:

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
He's getting older so it's natural his pts start to sink, and it looks like they are. But amazingly, no matter how slow he is or fans making fun of his boring approach, he still somehow gets pts. He's also good on faceoffs.

In isolation I dont think he's been a bad player at all. It's just his contract being $11M eats up so much cap space, and his style of play doesn't flow well with the other core players who are all faster.

If JT cant park himself close to net to bang in close range goals because opposing players are blocking shots or he's getting pushed out, he's pretty much invisible.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think we can just sum it up by saying the whole Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly era didn’t work out as it was designed to.
That can be summed up in just 1 word and 1 phrase.

ShanaPlan and "We can and We WIll".

This completes Shanahan 10th year, hired in 2014 and the results are 1 single playoff win. PATHETIC !!

That is due totally in part to WHO he put in charge, and his foolish stubborn notion that they can & they will pay their core 4 at the highest prices in the league consuming 1/2 their salary cap.

The record shows that NO team has ever advanced beyond the 2nd round with more than 1 player making double digit salary, and next year thanks to JT final season and Willy's new raise the Leafs will have 4 players in the top 10 highest paid players in the game.

1715003033211.png

The mess that the Tavaras signing had on Leafs Cup competitive window was it nailed it shut as now one of the least successful teams in a Salary Cap era.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
To answer the title question.

I feel like JT. Emotionless, uninspired and don't really want to be overly passionate about my team.

Islanders fan in peace. I’m far from a Tavares fan but I don’t think you can question his heart and drive and I’d bet nobody cares more about the team and fans like he does. He has the unfortunate look of someone who just came out of a lobotomy operation and people mistake the blank look as someone who doesn’t care. He does and I‘d bet no one is losing more sleep than him these days. He’s not the brightest guy as you can tell from his cliche filled interviews but he knows the game .

His problem is he’s just too slow for the game. He’s old and the game is much faster than when he started. I think it’s that simple.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Islanders fan in peace. I’m far from a Tavares fan but I don’t think you can question his heart and drive and I’d bet nobody cares more about the team and fans like he does. He has the unfortunate look of someone who just came out of a lobotomy operation and people mistake the blank look as someone who doesn’t care. He does and I‘d bet no one is losing more sleep than him these days. He’s not the brightest guy as you can tell from his cliche filled interviews but he knows the game .

His problem is he’s just too slow for the game. He’s old and the game is much faster than when he started. I think it’s that simple.
yeah he gives an effort , can't say it's anymore than the rest of the guys but what JT cares about most is getting his , team/fans/teammates come in a few levels down from the importance of him padding his stats

but if you miss him so much , pop onto TSN and you can check out his year end presser , classic Johnny , it's unbelievable how many cliches he can pack into an interview and i could only get through the first 3/4 mins , lol

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He gave us more effort this series than typically seen in the regular season and fought tooth and nail for every inch of ice in the opening games when Boston wanted to knock him out. He assisted on the Game 5 win by driving the net.

But he’s not paid to be a guy who tries. He’s paid to be a guy who does it all, dominates and drags his team to wins. Like imagine if he just gave us Mika Zibanejad level scoring center level impact.

The other thing is I find his decisions to be selfish at times. He’d rather try the low percentage shot attempt at times than distribute. Looks off guys. Makes tunnel vision plays. He’s a Cookie Monster.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If hes willing to waive, I'm sure there are teams out there willing to take him at 50% for next to nothing in return.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The problem with Tavares was he wasn't even worth it his 2nd season on the contract.
1st year he may have been worth it when adjusting for UFA tax

In 2019 he was a fringe top 15ish player but I think he was 2nd-5th highest AAV that year in the league

19-20 onwards he was never a top 25 player in the league falling as low as fringe top 100 this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad