How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
Bad News from Alexander Sulzer.
After a Hit in Training camp he got checked and a Tumor on the cervical spine was found. Media tell its innocuous, but he needed surgury and is out indeterminatly. If it would not have been discovered he could have been paralized.

Get well soon.

Schock-Diagnose für Sulzer | Eishockey - kicker

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bad News from Alexander Sulzer.
After a Hit in Training camp he got checked and a Tumor on the cervical spine was found. Media tell its innocuous, but he needed surgury and is out indeterminatly. If it would not have been discovered he could have been paralized.

Get well soon.

Schock-Diagnose für Sulzer | Eishockey - kicker

Damn, that’s an odd bit of luck to find out about such a potentially damaging issue.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This was an awesome pod with Chris Butler.

And the story of what Andrew Peters did for him for Christmas when he was first called up to the Sabres was pretty cool.

Why he would go out to dinner with Vanek all the time was pretty funny, too.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/former-sabres-captain-mike-ramsey-enjoying-life-away-from-hockey/

BUFFALO – Former Sabres captain Mike Ramsey usually offers the same answer when someone asks him what he’s up to these days.
“I tell people I’m writing a book, because everybody wants to know what I’m doing,” Ramsey said during Saturday’s Sabres Fan Fest at KeyBank Center, an event that celebrated the team’s 50th anniversary season. “‘What do you do with your time? I’m writing a book.’ And it stops them right away.”
So, what’s Ramsey’s book about?
“Anything you want it to be,” he joked.
Of course, Ramsey, perhaps the greatest defensive defenseman in Sabres history, isn’t writing a book. He just likes to be left alone.

Don't be looking for Ramsey to return to coaching soon.
“Thirty-one years of hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, I checked out.”

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Kane speaks out. He has a point that hockey needs to self-promote better but racism is the last excuse for not doing well and bad behavior. If there were real racism, he wouldn't be allowed to play at all. Just win Evander, that's the best cure for racism. Glad his divisiveness is gone.

https://www.tsn.ca/sharks-evander-kane-time-to-notice-racism-in-hockey-1.1357435

I don't think that "just win" is the cure for racism anywhere or at any level in society or in sports. Kane's the African American and he's the one who has experienced the comments that he cites in the article - and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I don't think it's a coincidence that despite societal demographics, there's a disproportionately low percentage of African Americans in hockey. I fully support the comments as I read them in the referenced piece.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Kane speaks out. He has a point that hockey needs to self-promote better but racism is the last excuse for not doing well and bad behavior. If there were real racism, he wouldn't be allowed to play at all. Just win Evander, that's the best cure for racism. Glad his divisiveness is gone.

https://www.tsn.ca/sharks-evander-kane-time-to-notice-racism-in-hockey-1.1357435
I'm sorry but this post is total BS, what exactly would you say is "real racism" remember when the habs beat boston a few years back and all those boston fans were calling subban The "N word" and an "Ape" i guess that's not racist because slavery is over and we no longer have segregation right?

Reactions: Dex

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/former-sabres-captain-mike-ramsey-enjoying-life-away-from-hockey/

Don't be looking for Ramsey to return to coaching soon.
“Thirty-one years of hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, I checked out.”

Looking forward to hopefully getting a chance to meet him on Feb. 22, 2020. The Miracle on Ice team will be in Vegas to celebrate the 40th anniversary! They are supposed to have some events for season ticket holders!! He is by far my favorite Sabre of all time!!

Reactions: Buffaloed

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Member 308457

What's the definition of real racism?

Can't get into it. It's against the hf rules.

4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Can't get into it. It's against the hf rules.

4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

What in the narrowly defined scope of Kane's hockey related career wasn't real racism and why wasnt it?

Member 308457

What in the narrowly defined scope of Kane's hockey related career wasn't real racism and why wasnt it?

What is this convoluted question you ask. Could the answer be Byfuglien tossing his track suit into a cold tub? Byfuglien is black... Kane was just despised for some reason. Maybe he acted like an entitled punk while he was with the Jets. But it looks like he has matured once being traded twice although he does seem to have continuing behavior problems. I wish him well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Punished ROR

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Dale Hawerchuk is sick. Get well soon Dale! I once saw him score a goal by flipping the puck from behind the net and retrieve it out in front and score. First and last time I ever saw that one.

https://www.tsn.ca/fighting-stomach-cancer-dale-hawerchuk-wants-to-live-to-tell-the-story-1.1384658

Horrible news. I hope he can pull through.

Hawerchuck is one of my favorite Sabres of all time. He's often overlooked in part because he was only here for four full seasons and part of a 5th, but he led the team in scoring 3 times in that span. Great passer - one of the best.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
6'5 Zadorov monster hit on a 5'11 guy.

Legal hit? Yes.
Was the impact magnified by the reach the Panther made to poke the puck out and the tenuous balance he had at that point? Yes.
Was it necessary? At home, leading by a goal, ~13:30 remaining in the 3rd, with little likelihood of conceding a breakaway or odd man rush... Probably not.
Do I want hits like that out of hockey? No.
Would I be happy / proud as an Avs fan for that play? Not really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad