OT: How are out of staters coping?

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
I'm a diehard Rangers fan, and it's always been Rangers or nothing growing up in the early 90's in Queens, but after moving to the Southern California region it's been tougher to go to games as often as I'd like, not being local anymore.

You try your best but work and life sometimes have other plans.

I was wondering if any of our Rangers diehards do root for other teams as well, and how that came to fruition? And how they're coping being out of state during this run? Going to games?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Lindy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When I myself moved out to San Diego I took somewhat of a liking to the Ducks, as I was in Anaheim all the time for work and went to several games. That was more just a convenience thing than real fandom, though.

I have no other hockey team I care about. No other football team. I have been an Orioles fan since moving to MD a couple decades ago, but even that was just due to them being on TV and not being able to watch the Mets. Once streaming became a real thing, I stopped paying much attention to the Orioles.

I have several teams I actively root against, but only one per sport that I root for.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
When I myself moved out to San Diego I took somewhat of a liking to the Ducks, as I was in Anaheim all the time for work and went to several games. That was more just a convenience thing than real fandom, though.

I have no other hockey team I care about. No other football team. I have been an Orioles fan since moving to MD a couple decades ago, but even that was just due to them being on TV and not being able to watch the Mets. Once streaming became a real thing, I stopped paying much attention to the Orioles.

I have several teams I actively root against, but only one per sport that I root for.
I totally get it. But how do you manage going to these games? It's tougher for an out of stater to attend these once in a lifetime sporting events? We root from afar but we want to be there and it's not always possible.

I guess you connect through social media, streaming, television?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I moved to Charlotte, North Carolina in 1998.

Had to move to Raleigh in 1999.

In 2001, I started getting into the Hurricanes run to the playoffs and the series against the Devils. So much so, I became a season ticket holder in 2001-02. Still wore Rangers stuff to the games when the Rangers were in town.

Canes went to the Finals in ‘02 and I did get caught up in it. Kept the tickets through the next two seasons. After the lockout, shared a small plan with some friends.

Even though the Canes won the Cup in ‘06, I never felt like ‘94.

Had to move back to Charlotte that summer. I tried to like both teams for a season or two, but being farther away from a “local” team resulted in me just going back to giving my complete attention to the Rangers.

It was the same with the Panthers and Giants for a while too, but I’ve actually began to despise the Panthers.

Reactions: Krams and hpNYR

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com

In 2001, I started getting into the Hurricanes run to the playoffs and the series against the Devils. So much so, I became a season ticket holder in 2001-02. Still wore Rangers stuff to the games when the Rangers were in town.

Canes went to the Finals in ‘02 and I did get caught up in it. Kept the tickets through the next two seasons. After the lockout, shared a small plan with some friends.

Had to move back to Charlotte that summer. I tried to like both teams for a season or two, but being farther away from a “local” team resulted in me just going back to giving my complete attention to the Rangers.

It was the same with the Panthers and Giants for a while too, but I’ve actually began to despise the Panthers.
Are you going to any of the games during this run?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Wouldn’t say I was ever really “caught up” in being a Canes fan but living here - and given that until relatively recently they weren’t in a division or in direct competition with the Rangers - I tended to pull for them if doing so wasn’t directly against the best interests of the Rangers.

I also - as a 13-14 or so year old kid, mind you - jumped about the Red Wings bandwagon about ‘96 or ‘97 or so, and pulled for them “in addition” to the Rangers during our dark years.

But since Lundqvist it has been all Rangers and no one else.

Reactions: NCRanger

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Are you going to any of the games during this run?
No.

I only went to one game all season and nearly killed me and my family on the 5 1/2 white knuckle crawl back from Raleigh.

NC got snow that night and the roads were a nightmare.

I did watch almost every game this season and even figured out how to watch MSG during the first round.

Reactions: hpNYR

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’ve moved around a bit. Nothing ever tops the Rangers, but I’ll usually follow the local team just for the fun of going to games and being involved. Not die hard. Die hard Rangers fan, die hard hockey fan, casual fan of whatever is locally available.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As a Finn, I'm only a real fan of my Finnish hometown team. I don't feel bad for the fact that I cheer for the Avs and the Rangers, because these teams feature players from said hometown team (Rantanen, Lehkonen, Kakko, Georgiev). Let's say they trade Kakko tomorrow, would I stop cheering for the Rangers? I guess not but I wouldn't be as involved as I'm now.

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see I'm not the only Californian in this thread. I moved here when I was young and still only root for NY teams. I do have a soft spot for the Dodgers tho. Not only are they the OG Brooklyn team (unlike the gentrifiers that play in Barclays) as a Yankees fan I can definitely relate to a team that's universally despised just for being really good. If the Yankees are out, I root for them.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I feel bad for the Coyotes. I kinda have a soft spot for them because I do see they have somewhat of a passionate fan base (although relatively small in numbers) and I want them to stick around because selfishly the rangers always are out here around my birthday so it makes a great gift to go see them live.

I did happen to take a peak at SCF tickets in Denver in the off chance that the rangers happen to be there and the prices and the, let’s just say, user-friendly.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Moved to Charlotte 3 1/2 years ago. People here are always asking me why I am I still rooting for the Rangers (and football Giants) when I have local teams to root for. I've been a Ranger fan all my life, memories back as far as 1958, season ticket holder from 1969-1976 in the old blue seats. I always say to them "never, never, never." Of course, being able to watch games through ESPN+ makes it easy. Even when they are playing the Canes, and ESPN+ blacks out MSG broadcasts, well there are ways around that. It's harder being a Mets fan as Charlotte is, believe it or not, in the local broadcast area for the Braves, Nationals, Orioles, and Reds and MLB network blacks out those games. But...there are ways around that also. The only time in my life I ever switched teams was in 1962-1963 and I stopped rooting for the SF Giants (I grew up a NY Giants fan) and became a Mets fan. In those far off, ancient days, it very difficult to follow out of market teams. I often did not find out the score of Giants games on the West Coast until the next afternoon. But give up the Rangers? Never. Never. Never.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’ve lived in 11 states, had season tickets to 5 different NHL teams and have acquired a lot of rooting interests along the way. I’ve watched some great runs (Coyotes 2012, Almighty Ducks 2003) up close and enjoyed every minute.

That said, there’s only one team I bleed for and that is the New York Rangers. First memories in 1959, STH 1994 (just in time) until 2020 while living in PA, NE, CA, MN and AZ, and stories to last a lifetime. Spent the last two weeks in Italy, Greece and Israel and have watched every game. Right now I’m flying home and if the internet holds up, I’ll watch the first period from the air and the rest of the game at O’Hare.

I still marvel that I can watch every game live no matter where in the world I am. We’ve come a long way from those mornings I had to wait for the newspaper to find out the score from the night before.

Last edited:

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I left NYC the day after the 94 parade. I remember being down at the Garden for game 7 and partying all night long. It's a night that I will never forget.

Honestly, it kind of sucks living outside of NY during the playoffs. because it's basically you on your own with the exception of going into the game day thread here and texting with friends during the game.

When the Rangers played the Kings, I would go to the one hockey pub in Houston to watch the games. Definitely a fun experience, but it was nothing like being in NY. Driving way across the city was a bit of a pain. Tons of fans of other teams. Some Rangers fans, some Kings fans. We almost came to blows a couple of times. There aren't a ton of hockey fans here although I did get some dirty looks yesterday at CostCo with my Adam Graves shirt (maybe it was the Mets cap).

Oddly enough, I recently discovered that Mike From Houston lives in my subdivision (thanks to Statboy Steven) which is crazy to think since this city is incredibly sprawled out. I hope to catch a game or two with him when we make the Finals.

Oh, and I've never rooted for another team. I'm pretty involved in fantasy hockey, so I watch a ton of games on the NHL ticket, but I never root for any specific teams. I'll catch the Rangers in Dallas just about every year and once in NY once in a while although I haven't been back recently. I've also seen the Rangers in a few other cities, but that's more of a one-off thing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The concept of rooting for another team doesn’t even make sense to me. Sports fandom is inherently illogical, but I don’t even see how it’s possible to build an affinity for a sports franchise if you’re already an adult. My love for the Rangers is firmly rooted in my childhood and is something I couldn’t shake even if I tried.

As far as games go, I watched them get smoked by the Caps opening night here in DC. Had I known Georgiev was playing, I’d have stayed home.

I used to have partial seasons at the Garden but frankly, outside of the playoff atmosphere, I prefer to watch from the comfort of my home anyway. The only issue I ever had while living in other places is time zone effects.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
The concept of rooting for another team doesn’t even make sense to me. Sports fandom is inherently illogical, but I don’t even see how it’s possible to build an affinity for a sports franchise if you’re already an adult. My love for the Rangers is firmly rooted in my childhood and is something I couldn’t shake even if I tried.

As far as games go, I watched them get smoked by the Caps opening night here in DC. Had I known Georgiev was playing, I’d have stayed home.

I used to have partial seasons at the Garden but frankly, outside of the playoff atmosphere, I prefer to watch from the comfort of my home anyway. The only issue I ever had while living in other places is time zone effects.
Are you going to any games during this run?

I left NYC the day after the 94 parade. I remember being down at the Garden for game 7 and partying all night long. It's a night that I will never forget.

Honestly, it kind of sucks living outside of NY during the playoffs. because it's basically you on your own with the exception of going into the game day thread here and texting with friends during the game.

When the Rangers played the Kings, I would go to the one hockey pub in Houston to watch the games. Definitely a fun experience, but it was nothing like being in NY. Driving way across the city was a bit of a pain. Tons of fans of other teams. Some Rangers fans, some Kings fans. We almost came to blows a couple of times. There aren't a ton of hockey fans here although I did get some dirty looks yesterday at CostCo with my Adam Graves shirt (maybe it was the Mets cap).

Oddly enough, I recently discovered that Mike From Houston lives in my subdivision (thanks to Statboy Steven) which is crazy to think since this city is incredibly sprawled out. I hope to catch a game or two with him when we make the Finals.

Oh, and I've never rooted for another team. I'm pretty involved in fantasy hockey, so I watch a ton of games on the NHL ticket, but I never root for any specific teams. I'll catch the Rangers in Dallas just about every year and once in NY once in a while although I haven't been back recently. I've also seen the Rangers in a few other cities, but that's more of a one-off thing.
Are you going to any games during these playoffs?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Definitely Rangers as my fav but also always follow Ottawa. Born and raised there and still live there half the year for now. Tend to also go to more Sens games cuz of how cheap the tickets are :laugh: Always see the Rangers when they are in town

Also go to a good amount of Isles, Devils & Panthers games but don’t have much care for the teams. More so just go to see a game

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Teams I follow

NHL: Rangers
WHL: Thunderbirds
Liiga: HC TPS
EBEL: Vienna Capitals
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
NFL: Seahawks
Rugby: Natal Sharks (South Africa)
Football: Ajax (Netherlands) & Leyton Orient (English 4th tier)

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
I was born and raised in the Bronx for 22 years, then moved to Florida. Always been a Ranger fan, even through the Isles Dynasty years. I don't flip to other teams, especially when the Panthers started their franchise down here. Of course my 2 sons that were born here in Florida are Ranger fans, I made sure of that from day 1 LOL.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Im rangers fan far and away #1.

Im from ca and sharks were my local team. I also took a liking to the lightning back in 03 when i first got center ice and was able to watch Lecavalier, st louis, and Khabibulin. Some years i watch more or less games around the league but im consistently near 75 rangers games and all playoff games. I also enjoy watching crosby and mcdavid when im not watching the rangers.

I now go to the stars rangers games when they're in town. When i lived in ca i would usually go to the games in la/anaheim and then san jose. Sucks only seeing 1 game a year

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Melbourne based Aussie fan - wife is a Canuck and she took me to my first ever game at MSG. Since then I survive on streaming, NHLTV and sundry other media to get my fix.

Thankfully there’s a local league and wife and I are members, sponsors and volunteers. If you’re ever down under come watch the Melbourne Ice.
E0AD05F6-1AE5-4C62-8D8B-5014233426C9.jpeg

Reactions: Taluss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad