How and why did we not sign Joseph Blandisi?

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
This is just one of 52 goals (led the league) in the OHL this year and it may be one of the dirtiest goals I've ever seen.

I know he's 20. It's not like he's lighting up the league as a 17year old, but we had this guy in camp, and we never signed him? Did no one see the talent level/potential?
I want him back in our system.
WAAAAHHHH!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This has been covered lots of times. Injuries/virus, management wanting to take the pool in a different direction, not a real great prospect, etc. Lots of different things combined really. I think he is an alright prospect and was worth a contract (I have a few posts about him), but the Avs aren't going to really regret not signing him.

It was probably between Blandisi and Henley for the last ELC (could be debated for Everberg/Rendulic as well)... And I would honestly rather have Henley. He will be a better fit down the road.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This has been covered lots of times. Injuries/virus, management wanting to take the pool in a different direction, not a real great prospect, etc. Lots of different things combined really. I think he is an alright prospect and was worth a contract (I have a few posts about him), but the Avs aren't going to really regret not signing him.

It was probably between Blandisi and Henley for the last ELC (could be debated for Everberg/Rendulic as well)... And I would honestly rather have Henley. He will be a better fit down the road.

The bold things, mostly.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
He does not have a real NHL future. At least not with the Avs. It was not much of a choice.

He could very well be the Devils current top forward prospect given the teams current lack of talent.

We have no legit right wing depth at both NHL or minor league level. With a good training camp he could bypass the minors and make our roster for next season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would put Thompson and Sislo over Blandisi in the NHL. He may get some games in the NHL simply because of that lack of depth, but he won't establish himself next year. Let him grow in the AHL for a couple years to see if you can round him out to a 3rd liner. If he is rushed, the coaching staff will sour real quickly on him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump.

Looking pretty solid with the Devils this season. Never liked this decision from day one, even though his injuries made it a tough call at the time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He has a dynamic look about him (always has), but there are some really big holes in his game that need addressed. New Jersey is starved for any skill they can get, so he is getting his chance and they are ignoring some of his flaws (smart move by NJ). Good for him and I hope he works out for them. :nod:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bump.

Looking pretty solid with the Devils this season. Never liked this decision from day one, even though his injuries made it a tough call at the time.

Yeah got to agree that was one of those over-sights by the previous regime and probably one of the reasons that they aren't here anymore. Too many mistakes.

They were giving out contracts to players like Smith, Bourke, Muers etc. and they decided Blandisi wasn't as good as those guys. That's a mistake now because obviously Blandisi is significantly better.

It's just another example of how even professional scouts don't see everything and make mistakes. It also goes to show that prospects are a dime a dozen, some highly rated juniors never pan out and others who get no attention work their way to being NHL level players.

Case and point Jamie Benn. At 2007 draft there wasn't one professional scout that would have said Jamie Benn would go on to have a better career than Zach Hamill or Angelo Esposito. Not a single one. But obviously Benn is one of the best in the league and Hamill played all of 4 games in the NHL, Espositio played 0.

Things get overlooked all the time, and if you make too many mistakes you're going to be out of a job like Rick Pracey.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Rycroft roasted him for a defensive play he made against the Avs that led to a goal against.

He looks like a decent young player, but if the Avs had signed him, I imagine things would have been a lot different. Didn't they have to sign him before his overage season? Also, can't imagine Roy would have called the guy up or been all about his game, but not sure on that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Rycroft roasted him for a defensive play he made against the Avs that led to a goal against.

And he has had a number of moments like that in the ~3 games I have watched of his in the NHL. New Jersey has to live with it right now because of their complete lack of skill, but to really establish himself, Blandisi is going to have to round out his game. I think that ability is there, it is just going to take a lot of hard coaching.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Smith and Meurs were signed before, only Bourke after the regime change. It's nice to look back in hindsight but his overage season massively helped him. There's also part of it that New Jersey is desperate for young forwards, he has much more of an opportunity there than he would have had here.

This is going to happen more as I expect the Avs to be pretty stingy with who they offer ELCs to.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bourke and Sgarbossa had just as much talent as Blandisi, and Smith's comparable. Good for him for getting some NHL games, but he's still got a lot of work to do before he's an NHL player.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think the Avs wanted to rebuild the prospect pool a bit. I have a feeling they'll let Smith and Bourke go at some point too.

I think Beaudin will end up being a real solid pick down the line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the Avs wanted to rebuild the prospect pool a bit. I have a feeling they'll let Smith and Bourke go at some point too.

I think Beaudin will end up being a real solid pick down the line.

I dunno about Bourke. Roy seems to like him a more than you'd think. Can definitely see him having a break through season next year and getting another deal; cause he's got a higher skill level than Smith/Sgar/Agz/Street, one that may translate to the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I doubt it, Dean hates him and Roy never kept him around during camp. Bourke is not more skilled than Smith. However I do expect Smith to get qualified at least for another year, it's not like forwards who can score grow on trees down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad