How about the job Holtby has done since replacing Grubauer?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
yeah I recall Holtby was labeled overated and Caps fans supported the Grubs move.

That's true. Holtby played his worst hockey ever during the middle 50% of the regular season. He was (uncharacteristically) a total headcase, constantly out of position, and just not seeing the puck. It was wild. He simply wasn't himself.

The Grubauer move was warranted.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Holtby has been very good.

He made some amazing saves.

He also had some luck from the posts.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
He was great against Pittsburgh. If he plays good instead of great, the Caps lose the series.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The Columbus series was close. Washington needed that extra 1 or 2 saves and Holtby was able to provide that while Grubauer wasn’t.

Reactions: JenniferH

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Could've been a sweep, considering how Holtby got them four consecutive wins.

Sweep is kind of irrelevant. It was still a tight series for the most part and like I said, they just needed a goalie to come in and make the easy saves, and Holtby was able to make those saves in close games. Holtby’s a veteran so it shouldn’t come as a surprise he came back and settled things down where as Grubauer’s inexperience was on full display.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sweep is kind of irrelevant. It was still a tight series for the most part and like I said, they just needed a goalie to come in and make the easy saves, and Holtby was able to make those saves in close games. Holtby’s a veteran so it shouldn’t come as a surprise he came back and settled things down where as Grubauer’s inexperience was on full display.

Yeah, so that's how they won four consecutive games. Had Holtby started in Games 1 and 2, he could've sweeped them. "could have".

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
yeah I recall Holtby was labeled overated and Caps fans supported the Grubs move.
Not all Caps fans. I don't care for Grubauer as a goalie. I was pissed when he started the playoffs. Thank god Holtby came to the rescue. Grubauercwas awful in those 2 playoff games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No this isn't a jinx thread. We wrote him off too quickly. I think he gets bashed way too much. Holtby is a top five goalie.

Thoughts?
When did everybody write him off? Just because of the bad regular season he had? I think he deserved the benefit of the doubt, unless it was repeated again next year. I think it's safe to say he's still a top five goalie, unless he has another brutal year again next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad