Houston to Des Moines ?? Or Sioux Falls, SD? UPD: Iowa Wild approved

MinWild1

May 25, 2012
Wasn't the Ducks AHL team briefly in Iowa? Didn't that fail?

Yes, the Iowa Chops, but I think the AHL will finally succeed this time in Des Moines, because of the affiliation with the Wild. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing quite a few hockey fans in Iowa are Wild fans.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Wasn't the Ducks AHL team briefly in Iowa? Didn't that fail?

I'd phrase it differently. There was an AHL team in Des Moines for three years. The first two years it was an affiliate of the Dallas Stars (and was named the Iowa Stars), but not owned by the stars. Then the Stars bought a franchise of their own and put it in Cedar Park (outside Austin), leaving the Des Moines team there, but without an affiliation. So, the owners affiliated with Anaheim for the next season and renamed the team the Iowa Chops.

Then the owners failed financially -- though not necessarily directly related to the failure of the franchise on its own... the franchise was yanked from them when the owners put the team up as collateral for a debt, which is against AHL rules.

So, there was a Ducks-affiliated team in Des Moines, that failed, it wasn't a Ducks-OWNED NHL team. This case has a Wild-OWNED NHL team in Des Moines, so the Wild will be both supplying the players _and_ running the business operations -- which wasn't the case with the I-Stars/Chops.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I'd phrase it differently. There was an AHL team in Des Moines for three years. The first two years it was an affiliate of the Dallas Stars (and was named the Iowa Stars), but not owned by the stars. Then the Stars bought a franchise of their own and put it in Cedar Park (outside Austin), leaving the Des Moines team there, but without an affiliation. So, the owners affiliated with Anaheim for the next season and renamed the team the Iowa Chops.

Then the owners failed financially -- though not necessarily directly related to the failure of the franchise on its own... the franchise was yanked from them when the owners put the team up as collateral for a debt, which is against AHL rules.

So, there was a Ducks-affiliated team in Des Moines, that failed, it wasn't a Ducks-OWNED NHL team. This case has a Wild-OWNED NHL team in Des Moines, so the Wild will be both supplying the players _and_ running the business operations -- which wasn't the case with the I-Stars/Chops.

Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.

I am pretty sure that it was before. The talk was maybe 31 teams IIRC.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Percentage of capacity, more than anything, contributes to season ticket sales. That means getting money sooner, that means being ahead of bills instead of behind, perhaps it means money gaining interest as well.

Here's the thing: is that $25 to $30 a season ticket price?

Your description sounds like it's right in the wheel well of the Portland Winterhawks. I'd guess the average price sold is around $25 (including season seats), averaged almost 7,000 this season, beer's at $9. Problem is, how much of a cut does the NBA hosts get?

I see what you are saying about the percent capacity.

Yep there is hardly a discount at all for season tickets, the amount I quoted was ST prices.

BlueAero

Apr 19, 2013
Houston, TX
The highest level of ice hockey being played in Houston next season will be high school. Unless Les Alexander decides he wants to run that out of town, too.

Boy ain't that the truth! Man, I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I'm an Aeros fan since their rebirth 19 years ago and I'll always be an Aeros fan. Les Alexander is the man who killed hockey in Houston. Disgraceful....his greed knows no bounds. I hope OKC destroys the Rockets in 4 straight blowouts.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org

I was avoiding going into that particular confusing detail -- the T-Stars played in Cedar Park with a "conditional" membership for the first season, that condition being that they agree to purchase a _real_ franchise ASAP. And guess what? They did so during the playoffs of that first season, purchasing the Chops:

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/art...s-purchase-of-franchise-by-hicks-cedar-park-l

Cedar Park, TX – The Texas Stars, in conjunction with the American Hockey League and Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, announced Tuesday that the American Hockey League Board of Governors has unanimously approved the purchase of the Iowa Chops inactive franchise by Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, owners of the Texas Stars.

“On behalf of the Hicks family, we are proud to officially become a member of the American Hockey Leagueâ€, said Executive Vice President of Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, Mack Hicks. “We have a great base of hockey fans here in Central Texas and this purchase reaffirms our commitment to the sport and to the Austin area. The Texas Stars are just one element in our continuing efforts to bring the highest quality entertainment to the Cedar Park Center.â€
The purchase brings the Texas Stars to full membership in the AHL and satisfies the conditions of the limited membership granted to Hicks Cedar Park for the 2009-10 season.

So yes, Dallas bought and moved a franchise to Cedar Park -- so I'm right... but yes, that was a year after the T-Stars started playing, so you're right too.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Houston Business Journal article on the Aeros move. Surprising to read Tulsa, Ok. and Wichita, Ks. were also considered as possible locations, before chosing Des Moines. Never saw anything where either one of those cities could land the Aeros, but Tulsa has an impressive facility at BOK Center, and Wichita has always supported their teams, so why not. First I've heard they were in discussions to build a NEW facility in Sugar Land, Tx. Maybe that's where the future Aeros will end up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2013/04/houston-aeros-had-other-options-in.html

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Boy ain't that the truth! Man, I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. I'm an Aeros fan since their rebirth 19 years ago and I'll always be an Aeros fan. Les Alexander is the man who killed hockey in Houston. Disgraceful....his greed knows no bounds. I hope OKC destroys the Rockets in 4 straight blowouts.

What will it take to get a team back in Houston? Has Alexander ruined it for future potential suitors? Is there another facility besides the Toyota Center that a team can play in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad