Houston to Des Moines ?? Or Sioux Falls, SD? UPD: Iowa Wild approved

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Saw a post on Facebook saying there'd be AHL hockey in Iowa next season, then asking if Houston would have any pro hockey at all. Anyone know an official link to info on this, or has anyone heard anything?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
http://blog.chron.com/hockeystop/2013/01/outlook-grim-for-future-of-aeros-in-houston/

Understand... a newspaper headline is designed to catch eyeballs more than essence, and as print continues to die (or evolve, hopefully), I'd expect stories like this. All they're saying is, despite it being three months before a lease normally gets renewed, it's not renewed. There's no reasons given as to why renewal may not happen.

Just recall the "where there's smoke there's fire" cliche. You still have to account for the possibility that this wasn't simply drama queen journalism.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I haven't heard a thing about where the Aeros might move. Usually, word gets around the Midwest. Iowa does border on Wisconsin, but the news doesn't flow across the border much better than the two Koreas. Maybe Des Moines or KC.

Gearhead82

Saginaw Gears 72-83
Apr 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Two other AHL teams didn't last in Des Moines why go back? From what I've heard, The USHL's Buccaneers are first in hockey fans hearts there.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
http://blog.chron.com/hockeystop/2013/01/outlook-grim-for-future-of-aeros-in-houston/

Understand... a newspaper headline is designed to catch eyeballs more than essence, and as print continues to die (or evolve, hopefully), I'd expect stories like this. All they're saying is, despite it being three months before a lease normally gets renewed, it's not renewed. There's no reasons given as to why renewal may not happen.

Just recall the "where there's smoke there's fire" cliche. You still have to account for the possibility that this wasn't simply drama queen journalism.

Considering Heather is one of the very few reporters that has access to the Aeros and the team as a whole in Houston, the likelihood that it was "drama queen journalism" is slim to none.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Two other AHL teams didn't last in Des Moines why go back? From what I've heard, The USHL's Buccaneers are first in hockey fans hearts there.

First of all, it was ONE AHL team that had its name change after an affiliation shuffle, not two teams (The I-Stars and the Chops are the same team, that is).

Second of all, the I-Stars/Chops were never the primary affiliate of the Wild, and that might bring more people to the arena than the Dallas or Anaheim prospects did.

Third, a different management team can do wonders in a market that was not well exploited by poor ownership previously.

None of this is to say that a Wild AHL team in Des Moines would be a slam dunk -- there is the real effect of the entrenched fan base for the Buccaneers, that's true -- but to dismiss it out of hand simply because the I-Stars/Chops were horridly managed is to way oversimplify the situation. I can see why such a potential shift might appeal to some in the Wild's management. Which isn't to say that I think anything is a done deal.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I know Houston has been mentioned for NHL expansion... nothing substantial just talk among fans. I think the only way they lose the AHL Aeros is if the Aeros name is used for a NHL franchise.

Des Moines I know is always mentioned as expansion for the CHL. Again just rumors, nothing substantial.

I wouldn't think the AHL will leave a market like Houston anytime soon. And if that were to happen, the CHL would be wise to move in :laugh:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I know Houston has been mentioned for NHL expansion... nothing substantial just talk among fans. I think the only way they lose the AHL Aeros is if the Aeros name is used for a NHL franchise.

Des Moines I know is always mentioned as expansion for the CHL. Again just rumors, nothing substantial.

I wouldn't think the AHL will leave a market like Houston anytime soon. And if that were to happen, the CHL would be wise to move in :laugh:

That could be the solution to the Phoenix problem long-term; Houston is the largest city without an NHL team.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
That could be the solution to the Phoenix problem long-term; Houston is the largest city without an NHL team.
Problem there is that the Rockets' lease with Toyota Center states that the only NHL team that can come in is one owned by the Rockets. So unless they suddenly get the urge to put a hockey team in there, it's not happening.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Problem there is that the Rockets' lease with Toyota Center states that the only NHL team that can come in is one owned by the Rockets. So unless they suddenly get the urge to put a hockey team in there, it's not happening.
Are we sure about that? I thought there could be a non-Rockets-owned team, but the lease terms would make it nearly impossible to make money -- so technically not the ONLY team that can come in... just the only way the team could be financially feasible.

I could be misremembering, however.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
Are we sure about that? I thought there could be a non-Rockets-owned team, but the lease terms would make it nearly impossible to make money -- so technically not the ONLY team that can come in... just the only way the team could be financially feasible.

I could be misremembering, however.
Nope, Les Alexander has exclusivity:
[...]if the NHL were to settle in Houston with the Toyota Center as its home base, [Houston Sports Authority director Janis] Schmees said Rockets owner Les Alexander would own the team — specific language was written in the Toyota Center lease saying as much. If another individual or group expressed a desire, another venue would have to be located or built.

Alexander, who has flirted with the possibility of NHL ownership on at least two occasions during the past decade, declined to comment.[...] According to Schmees, Alexander and Toyota Center are a package deal.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I hope this means that Houston will get an NHL team. Phoenix really isn't working and a team in Houston would keep the team in the south and Western Conference.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I hope this means that Houston will get an NHL team. Phoenix really isn't working and a team in Houston would keep the team in the south and Western Conference.

Beyond the scope of this forum, but has been discussed on the Business of Hockey Forum as about #4 on the list of potential US locations for expansion/relocation (after Seattle/Portland, Kansas City).

FTR, Bettman has said there are two requirements to become a "NHL city". First, to have NHL-caliber arena (IOW, 17k+ seating, luxury boxes) and second, to have fiscally-able owner (net work of probably $500m+). It doesn't hurt to have few major league team competitors in town, nor major college draws, and lots of potential corporate sponsors.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Alexander doesn't have the net worth he once had, either, to even pursue a bid, that's why Watson owns 20% of the Aeros, that the Wild aka MSE don't.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Rum......if you'll check my post in the abbotsford to utica thread you'll see what i've herad. Be sure you check the date of my post to validate the post.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Any chance that Abbotsford would move to Des Moines? Utica will have quite the up hill battle to be successful.

Interesting question,but Id think that Minnesota would have the inside track on it simply by virtue of proximity to the parent club. If you think about it des moines is somewhat in the footprint of the Wild anyway. Its a very short trip from des moines to minneapolis.
And if that did happen(calgary going there) that still leaves the wild looking for a place to put their club. Not to mention calgary's act is getting very old with the 2 and gone everywhere they are.They've burned 2 different midwestern cities with this act and i'd think anyone else would be very leery of them coming in,especially des moines who lost a team due to the idiotic crap that Baldwin pulled when the Chops were there.

WiscMNwildfan

May 31, 2012
I would like to see the Houston Aeros move to Sioux Falls, Fargo, or Bismarck rather than Des Moines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad