Trade: [HOU/MIN] Texans trade pick #23, 232 to Vikings for #42, 188, ‘25 2nd

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Value you wise I think the Vikings did pretty well here too. Only cost you 188 and next years 2nd to move up 19 spots back into the first round and you got a 7th back.

Kwesi has seemed to learned after that awful trade back with the Lions a few years ago (only exacerbated by the fact he used those picks on trending busts Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth and Brian Asomoah)

#11 and #23 will now be packaged to get up in the top 5 for Maye/Daniels/McCarthy.

I still don't think McCarthy is a Top 10 pick, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I do like his moxy though. And he's more a 1st rounder than Ponder was.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Value you wise I think the Vikings did pretty well here too. Only cost you 188 and next years 2nd to move up 19 spots back into the first round and you got a 7th back.

Kwesi has seemed to learned after that awful trade back with the Lions a few years ago (only exacerbated by the fact he used those picks on trending busts Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth and Brian Asomoah)

#11 and #23 will now be packaged to get up in the top 5 for Maye/Daniels/McCarthy.

I still don't think McCarthy is a Top 10 pick, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I do like his moxy though. And he's more a 1st rounder than Ponder was.
I don’t agree with it on McCarthy, but if he’s your guy, then he’s your guy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Minny can jump the giants and end up basically giving up 11, 42 this year and their 2nd next that’s paying a pair of seconds to move up for a QB.

Have to jump the giants at 6 to ensure you get your guy. Chargers with losing both starting WR may be inclined to drop back to 11 and get 23 to replenish their roster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Vikings willing to move their 1st next year, they should land in the 3-5 range. Draft value chart already has them in there with just 11 and 23. May not even take the 1st.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Could the Vikings package there two first and a first next year to trade into the top two?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's all coming together. I don't think they make this move unless they know they're getting into the top five, preferably the top four. They actually took a big hit on analytics draft charts that I'm sure Kwesi uses. They should also get two 3rd round comp picks next year for Cousins and Hunter, which probably eases the pain of essentially losing a 3rd round pick in terms of value.

Cardinals/Chargers make the most sense but I'm not giving up hope on the Pats at #3 just yet. That would be perfect if they can get that done.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's all coming together. I don't think they make this move unless they know they're getting into the top five, preferably the top four. They actually took a big hit on analytics draft charts that I'm sure Kwesi uses. They should also get two 3rd round comp picks next year for Cousins and Hunter, which probably eases the pain of essentially losing a 3rd round pick in terms of value.

Cardinals/Chargers make the most sense but I'm not giving up hope on the Pats at #3 just yet. That would be perfect if they can get that done.
The Vikes signing of the Houston DE should negate the Hunter comp pick.

#4 ensure that they get a QB. NYG at 6 could make a play for 4 if they value McCarthy, as he seems to be the guy that will go after Maye/Daniels.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Vikes signing of the Houston DE should negate the Hunter comp pick.

#4 ensure that they get a QB. NYG at 6 could make a play for 4 if they value McCarthy, as he seems to be the guy that will go after Maye/Daniels.

They're currently in line for one 3rd round comp pick for Cousins. They should get another one for Hunter once Risner/Osborn sign because of how the cancellations work. Of course that's assuming they make enough to qualify (which they should) and the Vikings don't sign anyone else who would also qualify.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They're currently in line for one 3rd round comp pick for Cousins. They should get another one for Hunter once Risner/Osborn sign because of how the cancellations work. Of course that's assuming they make enough to qualify (which they should) and the Vikings don't sign anyone else who would also qualify.
Yep, very early in free agency to play that comp pick game, but Minny doesn't have the cap room to sign anyone to negate the Cousins comp. pick.

Question for the draft is how AZ and LAC want to play it? If I'm AZ, I also have 2 firsts right now, so I don't need to drop back if I really value a player at 4 and don't want to even drop down to 6 with NYG and give LAC the chance to take that player.
But, they might. Have option at both WR and OT and this is a deep OT draft.

Not sure AZ would drop to 11 to also add 23.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The odds of Minnesota's 2nd rounder being even higher next year is likely. So I'm leaning towards a push.

JJ McCarthy isn't worth a first round pick but you see it every year. Desperate times.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The odds of Minnesota's 2nd rounder being even higher next year is likely. So I'm leaning towards a push.

JJ McCarthy isn't worth a first round pick but you see it every year. Desperate times.

I think he teeters on that 1st/2nd line and def don't think he's a top 10 pick. But I trust this coaching staff to develop a reached for QB than I did Leslie Frazier's with Ponder.

I don't think this is like Kenny Pickett going in the 1st just cause he's the best of a bad bunch. Or reaching for Bo Nix or Penix because all of the other QBs are gone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think McCarthy is their consolation prize and they're really trying to get to #3 and take whoever Washington doesnt.
No reason for NE to pass on QB3 in the draft. Way easier to draft WR, CB, DT, OL from round 2 onwards than find a QB. Have to take one.
Cost of trading up in the future, can be crippling. See Carolina,
SF was a good roster so they managed to absorb the hit, but passed up some good players with those extra first rounders.

I think he teeters on that 1st/2nd line and def don't think he's a top 10 pick. But I trust this coaching staff to develop a reached for QB than I did Leslie Frazier's with Ponder.

I don't think this is like Kenny Pickett going in the 1st just cause he's the best of a bad bunch. Or reaching for Bo Nix or Penix because all of the other QBs are gone.
At least with Pickett (and Mac Jones) Pitt/NE just used their own pick. And not having to use multiple other assets to take a shot at a QB.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Don't have the tweet but

Daniel Jeremiah

The STRONG expectation around the NFL right now- 4 of the first 6 picks will be QB's.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not sure I get the Ponder fears.

He was guy with noodle arm that was slotted a 2nd and even 3rd round pick that Vikes reached bad on

McCarthy is far more talented a QB and a 1st round pick draft grade he has held thru most of year with his stock rising in recent months into potential top 10

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm honestly fine with whoever they decide to take, including McCarthy. The draft is a crap shoot, especially when it comes to QBs, so the guy KOC likes is fine by me. I'm just glad they've finally changed their process and appear to be being aggressive in trying to take a step forward. I can live with the results in that case. None of these QBs would be walking into a better situation than what the Vikings can offer either so that gives me a bit more optimism.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I meant as far as my own evaluation goes (for the nothing that that is worse) he teeters on the 1st/2nd round boarder. I don't think he falls past 13th in real life.

At this point I'll be shocked if he falls out of the top ten.

He was good at Michigan and they really tried to emphasize the passing game until about the final month of the B10 season. He also got dinged up too.

If he sits for a year, isn't rushed and can bulk up it could work out. I just don't know if he is more than a backup in the NFL.

But much like the Lions did last year in the draft, take the guy you like.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Value you wise I think the Vikings did pretty well here too.

No. This was a horrific loss of value on the Jimmy Johnson chart and also on any other major valuation chart.

If the clueless Wall Street wannabe GM gives away both first round picks to move up and take JJ McCarthy, it’ll be an even bigger disaster than the Herschel Walker debacle.

That’s how bad these moves are shaping up to be.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Vikings willing to move their 1st next year, they should land in the 3-5 range. Draft value chart already has them in there with just 11 and 23. May not even take the 1st.

I don’t think that’s enough for top3

There’s 3 teams desperate for a QB solution

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think that’s enough for top3

There’s 3 teams desperate for a QB solution
If you are in position to draft a QB with your own pick, unless that kid is not someone you like, you kind of have to take the QB. Given the price tag to move back up to grab a QB, have no clue if you will be able to get back up in the future after buildling up your roster, only to tear a piece or two down plus future draft picks to get a QB.

Thus, no reason for any of Chi, Was, NE to pass on the top 3 unless they really don't like the kid(s). Or by some reason have JJ McCarthy rated higher. but, if they do, they can't drop down to 11th as he likely will be gone (high chance a team jumps you at 11 to grab him).

Target teams to trade up to are really AZ and LAC.

Reactions: Spirits

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I'm honestly fine with whoever they decide to take, including McCarthy. The draft is a crap shoot, especially when it comes to QBs, so the guy KOC likes is fine by me. I'm just glad they've finally changed their process and appear to be being aggressive in trying to take a step forward. I can live with the results in that case. None of these QBs would be walking into a better situation than what the Vikings can offer either so that gives me a bit more optimism.
Where a QB goes matters. The Vikings have the offensive infrastructure to enable the growth of a QB better than most teams that pick a QB high in the draft. We also don't need to start a QB first season and won't if we are smart (unless it is more than obvious he is ready and it won't hinder his progress in any way).

JJ McCarthy would be amazing in Minnesota, probably the best fit. Caleb Williams gives me "I'm mentally weak" vibes. Jayden Daniels is also not someone I want to draft. McCarthy or Maye for me. If neither of those, roll with Darnold.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
At this point, I would only trade up for (assuming Caleb goes #1) Maye or Daniels. Penix would be ok waiting at 11 for, or even trading up a couple spots, but not into the top 5. McCarthy isn't a first rounder to me, and would give me Ponder vibes. Both Penix and McCarthy have flaws, but Penix at least has the upside. The moment Cousins left and we signed Darnold I knew we had to find out 2024 starter in the draft. Hoping we trade into the top 5.

As for the Vikings being a great situation for a QB, trust me, I've definitely lamented how no great QB is available for a trade/FA the way Brady, Stafford, and Rodgers were in the last 5 years. Thought the latter 2 were in our division, so it's not like we could've gotten them anyway.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3