Post-Game Talk: Hot takes... I mean hockey is back!! Habs lose 5-4 vs Leafs in OT

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's pretty disgusting. I was wondering how Danault got on the ice a 2nd time... It didn't feel right, and now to realize it was Suzuki that ended up on the bench because of it, that's getting into incompetency category.
Yea, it is.

Therrien like.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Canadiens up, Blackhawks down and six more takeaways from the NHL's opening night

1. The Montreal Canadiens should be players in the North Division

In taking the Toronto Maple Leafs -- the team everyone is predicting to run away with the division -- to overtime, the Habs made a statement. Don't count Montreal out. There's a lot to like about general manager Marc Bergevin's offseason. He added depth at every position, from goaltender (solid backup Jake Allen) to defense (Joel Edmundson, as well as the arrival of top prospect Alexander Romanov, who looked terrific playing 22:49 in his debut) to offense (Tyler Toffoli was the big free agent get, but Josh Anderson was first to endear himself to the fan base with an all-out effort, including two goals).
The timeline is clearly accelerated, especially with 20-year-old Jesperi Kotkaniemi and 21-year-old Nick Suzuki ready to contribute. A game like Wednesday's shows the Canadiens have swagger.
"We were the better team out there," Anderson said afterward.
Message received!

( I Love this Kaplan girl on ESPN btw, she does a great job on Around The Horn as well with the big dogs)
I underlined Andersons quote because i also thought it was painfully obvious, f*** off with your lucky powerplays leafs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
How funny is it to hear the Leafs players complain about the crosschecks in front of the net. Loll...After the first game. Vaginas. Leafs aren't going to survive this Northern Division.
Cross checking in the front of the net, has been around for a 100 years...now that Matthews has a boo boo, the league has to take a closer look at it all. lol

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Canadiens up, Blackhawks down and six more takeaways from the NHL's opening night

1. The Montreal Canadiens should be players in the North Division

In taking the Toronto Maple Leafs -- the team everyone is predicting to run away with the division -- to overtime, the Habs made a statement. Don't count Montreal out. There's a lot to like about general manager Marc Bergevin's offseason. He added depth at every position, from goaltender (solid backup Jake Allen) to defense (Joel Edmundson, as well as the arrival of top prospect Alexander Romanov, who looked terrific playing 22:49 in his debut) to offense (Tyler Toffoli was the big free agent get, but Josh Anderson was first to endear himself to the fan base with an all-out effort, including two goals).
The timeline is clearly accelerated, especially with 20-year-old Jesperi Kotkaniemi and 21-year-old Nick Suzuki ready to contribute. A game like Wednesday's shows the Canadiens have swagger.
"We were the better team out there," Anderson said afterward.
Message received!

( I Love this Kaplan girl on ESPN btw, she does a great job on Around The Horn as well with the big dogs)
I underlined Andersons quote because i also thought it was painfully obvious, f*** off with your lucky powerplays leafs

We destroyed the Leafs last year as a 24th place team. Getting to overtime against them isn’t an accomplishment. Any team can beat each other on any given night. That’s just the way parity around the league works.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cross checking in the front of the net, has been around for a 100 years...now that Matthews has a boo boo, the league has to take a closer look at it all. lol
I don't think it'll change anything other than the Leafs get made fun of more by players and probably earn themselves more crosschecks.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We destroyed the Leafs last year as a 24th place team. Getting to overtime against them isn’t an accomplishment. Any team can beat each other on any given night. That’s just the way parity around the league works.

If you listen to them though last year doesn't count, we didn't face Andersen once.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
There are plus's and minus's for Danault in OT.

Plus: He's a 200 foot player. Decent on the draw.

Minus: He's better in tight and not so much in open space. He's really not that fast. He has terrible hands, given the chance he'll flub the chance.

So overall maybe one shift.

Last year there were times Suzuki blew it in OT . But he's also a 200 foot player and much better hands than Danault.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
How funny is it to hear the Leafs players complain about the crosschecks in front of the net. Loll...After the first game. Vaginas. Leafs aren't going to survive this Northern Division.

Can't wait for the Sens to play them tonight. Should be pretty fun to see. Simmonds is going to get burnt out by game 10. At some point he'll just stop doing his thing. We've seen the same thing countless time with Moen when he was alone back there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is it just me, or was the ice particularly bad in Toronto?

It seemed like on so many replays that the puck was jumping around. Ultimately, it may have played a role in the delay of game penalty which put Toronto up 2 men. I thought that gave them alot of life to enter the intermission tied.

Anyways,the PK didn't look any better than last year, but there's time for improvements, obviously.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
was that before or after matthews broke his stick crosschecking Chiarot?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That was after Claude made some scribbles on his note pad:

PZgP7Hf.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
First game of the season...whiny little bitch.
I don't particularly like our full defensive group, but it sure feels damn good hearing other players complain about all the nasty crosscheck they endure in front of our net. When's the last time we heard teams complain about the physicality of our team?
giphy.gif

Reactions: covfefe

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
First game of the season...whiny little bitch.
I don't particularly like our full defensive group, but it sure feels damn good hearing other players complain about all the nasty crosscheck they endure in front of our net. When's the last time we heard teams complain about the physicality of our team?
giphy.gif
I loved watching Matthews wince at the bench after a couple of crosschecks from Websy and Bensy.

Reactions: Runner77

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
To be clear, last game doesn't go to OT without the Godlike handout. We just need to play the same. The PK will tighten with time.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Romanov's brilliant stretch pass to Tatar -- bigger, cleaner version:

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad