OT: Hot Take: I support Larkin not wanting to attend the All Star Game.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't care about the all-star game, I agree it's stupid.

But I think Larkin's position this year is inexcusable for a captain of a major sports franchise. I care more about the 7 year olds he's supposed to be an example for, than for how mentally or physically fatigued he is, while he has millions of dollars for comfort, luxury and recovery at his disposal.

If the Red Wings were competing this year, or if there were olympics, or some hockey related reason for Larkins attitude, I would have no issue. But instead he griped about his job publicly, and missed an opportunity to make an impression on a 7 year old on a sunday afternoon.

Hard not to see it negatively imo.

"Listen here kids, no matter how you feel, just shut the f*** up, do it, and do it quietly with a fake smile on your face. Welcome to real life."

Reactions: AHall88

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Nothing more boring than the ASG. If I was a player I'd want to be selected once just so I could call myself an "NHL all star," but after that I'd have no interest playing in it again. I know the league will keep it around for money, but I'd happily just get rid of it altogether. Anyone that doesn't want to attend, shouldn't and no one should care either way.

If the NHL wants best on best games let the players go to the Olympics.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ex-GM Brian Burke rips Dylan Larkin for All-Star Game comment

The short version: Larkin said not to vote for him, because he'd rather have the days off, and other players deserve it more. Then Brian Burke tore him a new one, implying any player should walk on hot coals for such an honor.

But I support Larkin not wanting to go.

1) The All Star Game stopped being an honor a long time ago. Now it's a poor attempt at an exhibition, with a popularity contest thrown in for good measure.

2) Dylan is right to say other players deserve it more. So let a guy having a better season be at the game.

3) I've never been a fan of Brian Burke, so him going all righteous dictator in the media is just icing on the cake to take the other side of the debate.

But what do you think? Are you upset that Larkin doesn't want to attend? Is the All Star Game still a significant event for you?

I support Larkin, too.
For reasons 1 and 2.

That's fine.
But he still has to face punishment if selected and he doesn't attend.
Big deal. It's another day off.

As for the all-star game, I haven't watched the game in years. More than a decade.
I haven't cared about it since I was a teenager.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Congrats, HNIC.
You replaced a cranky old white guy with a psychotic old white guy
Burke said if he was Yzerman, he would've "gone down and ripped his face off" for the comments.
"If that was one of my players, I would say, 'How could you be that dumb in front of a camera.' If you're going to be that stupid, do it off-camera,” Burke said.

I don't mind these old "tell it like it is" guys like Cherry, Burke and Milbury. They are provocative at times. But Cherry had a better soul - for all his warts.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Congrats, HNIC.
You replaced a cranky old white guy with a psychotic old white guy

I don't mind these old "tell it like it is" guys like Cherry, Burke and Milbury. They are provocative at times. But Cherry had a better soul - for all his warts.
Burke's an idiot. Everyone is reacting to the out of context tweet that HSJ posted. But in the video clip Larkin is so clearly joking and says there's more deserving players that should go.

Though forced to choose between idiot Burke and idiot Cherry, I'd very reluctantly take Burke.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its the ASG I kinda like that its a shot at it honestly. If the All Star game was canceled I honestly might not even notice.

Reactions: guinness

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
"Listen here kids, no matter how you feel, just shut the **** up, do it, and do it quietly with a fake smile on your face. Welcome to real life."

I would love to know what sorts of hardships and real life consequences you are equating to the hardship of playing in an ASG. But obviously being fake is the last thing I'm promoting. A ridiculous implication on your part imo.

If this is the beginning of Larkin being a guy that tells it like it is, that wears his heart on his sleeve, holds himself to the highest of standards, being a consistent force in the media defending teammates and advancing player rights, I would be ecstatic and volunteer to sew the C on his jersey.

But we know that's not going to be the case. Just a bit of immature grandstanding that backfired.

I honestly can't really understand your response to my comment. If Larkin is seriously hurt, he shouldn't be playing for the Red Wings, let alone in the All-Star game. If he's not, he's not.

Beyond that, I'm just criticizing a hockey player for not wanting to play hockey, which is so far short from some sort of trite/superficial appeal to toughness or masculinity that your response implied.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would love to know what sorts of hardships and real life consequences you are equating to the hardship of playing in an ASG. But obviously being fake is the last thing I'm promoting. A ridiculous implication on your part imo.

If this is the beginning of Larkin being a guy that tells it like it is, that wears his heart on his sleeve, holds himself to the highest of standards, being a consistent force in the media defending teammates and advancing player rights, I would be ecstatic and volunteer to sew the C on his jersey.

But we know that's not going to be the case. Just a bit of immature grandstanding that backfired.

I honestly can't really understand your response to my comment. If Larkin is seriously hurt, he shouldn't be playing for the Red Wings, let alone in the All-Star game. If he's not, he's not.

Beyond that, I'm just criticizing a hockey player for not wanting to play hockey, which is so far short from some sort of trite/superficial appeal to toughness or masculinity that your response implied.

Believe it or not, hockey players play through nagging injuries for their team, and the reality is the All Star Game does not carry that same weight for players. You can chalk it up as immaturity for making that statement, and place yourself on a moral high ground, that's fine. The fact of the matter is, Larkin did not say he wouldn't be grateful for being chosen, he did not say he wouldn't attend, he did not say that participating is not an honor. I think the way he says it, which he clearly is doing lighthearted, it's safe to imply that he's basically saying "I need a break to get right" without explicitly saying it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Believe it or not, hockey players play through nagging injuries for their team, and the reality is the All Star Game does not carry that same weight for players. You can chalk it up as immaturity for making that statement, and place yourself on a moral high ground, that's fine. The fact of the matter is, Larkin did not say he wouldn't be grateful for being chosen, he did not say he wouldn't attend, he did not say that participating is not an honor. I think the way he says it, which he clearly is doing lighthearted, it's safe to imply that he's basically saying "I need a break to get right" without explicitly saying it.

I agree... but if he is to be the captain, a part of that is saying this without leaving yourself open for the criticism people are trying to say here. Whenever Z or Lidstrom did it, they didn't leave themselves the opportunity to get blasted. Yzerman will talk to Dylan, I'm sure... but as a "I get what you were saying, but you can't say it that way, even if you're joking".

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
He's probably been playing through some injuries this year so I back him preferring time off to recover over participating in a vapid ceremony. Probably could've just kept that to himself to be fair.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree... but if he is to be the captain, a part of that is saying this without leaving yourself open for the criticism people are trying to say here. Whenever Z or Lidstrom did it, they didn't leave themselves the opportunity to get blasted. Yzerman will talk to Dylan, I'm sure... but as a "I get what you were saying, but you can't say it that way, even if you're joking".

Sure, but Lidstrom and Zetterberg and Kronwall were all manufactured in the same Swedish robot factory. They were all fantastic players and leaders for the team, but they also had the personality of a blank sheet of paper. Larkin is not the same person, and if he is to be the captain, I care about how he handles questions about the Red Wings, not the ASG. When he steps to the plate and tells the media to point fingers at him if they want to point fingers, or when he shuts down HSJ criticizing the team's effort and compete level after a game, those are the situations that he demonstrates his leadership, not when he makes a comment on the ASG.

Reactions: Red Stanley

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Right, and I think all those things considered, anyone that would raise an eyebrow and a concern over the leadership capabilities and the mindset of the player making such a case, would be justified in doing so. And they shouldn't have to defend themselves against the idea that they are playing into some sort of toxic knee jerk cultural rabble rousing.

I don't care at all about the statement, or the immaturity of the statement, making jokes or statements or whatever. I care about the truth behind it. Which is that there are limits to Larkins capabilities as a professional athlete at this stage in his career.

There's no moral high ground about it, and again, it's kind of ridiculous to insinuate that to be the case.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Right, and I think all those things considered, anyone that would raise an eyebrow and a concern over the leadership capabilities and the mindset of the player making such a case, would be justified in doing so. And they shouldn't have to defend themselves against the idea that they are playing into some sort of toxic knee jerk cultural rabble rousing.

I don't care at all about the statement, or the immaturity of the statement, making jokes or statements or whatever. I care about the truth behind it. Which is that there are limits to Larkins capabilities as a professional athlete at this stage in his career.

There's no moral high ground about it, and again, it's kind of ridiculous to insinuate that to be the case.

You made a point to say that Larkin is doing a disservice to 7 year olds. That right there is where I am suggesting that you insinuate that he is morally in the wrong for not wanting to entertain children.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Sure, but Lidstrom and Zetterberg and Kronwall were all manufactured in the same Swedish robot factory. They were all fantastic players and leaders for the team, but they also had the personality of a blank sheet of paper. Larkin is not the same person, and if he is to be the captain, I care about how he handles questions about the Red Wings, not the ASG. When he steps to the plate and tells the media to point fingers at him if they want to point fingers, or when he shuts down HSJ criticizing the team's effort and compete level after a game, those are the situations that he demonstrates his leadership, not when he makes a comment on the ASG.

I agree that Larkin has been very good with the media overall this year, and it's something that I found encouraging about him this year, that he's still growing and gunning for that leadership role.

It's from that perspective that my concern over his comments stems. Which is why I don't see a problem pointing out that, imo, the course shift is extreme enough to comment on, even if it's a totally incidental window/lens to look through.

If I'm going to give Larkin credit for doing a good job digesting the game and trajectory of the team on most nights, I'm going to point out that these comments are disheartening to hear from someone that knows the impact hockey players from Detroit can have on potential future hockey players from Detroit.

Larkin might not care about the ASG. We might not care about the ASG. But some 7 year old that watches Larkin play for the Red Wings with his dad, might be ecstatic to find that Larkin is part of a larger hockey community that spans the continent.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
You made a point to say that Larkin is doing a disservice to 7 year olds. That right there is where I am suggesting that you insinuate that he is morally in the wrong for not wanting to entertain children.

Well I did it again below this post.

I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a ridiculous stretch you are making here, but just in case, no, I don't think Larkin is morally in the wrong for not wanting to entertain children. One of the more questionable strawmen I've seen around here.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm sure Dylan has learned his lesson that in this day and age you can't make a joke because even the local beat reporter you have a working relationship with can tweet part of it completely out of context and make you look like an asshole.

Back to robot talk. "It'd be an honor... compete every night... keep pucks deep... stick to our gameplan..."

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure Dylan has learned his lesson that in this day and age you can't make a joke because even the local beat reporter you have a working relationship with can tweet part of it completely out of context and make you look like an *******.

Back to robot talk. "It'd be an honor... compete every night... keep pucks deep... stick to our gameplan..."

That's even poorer leadership, and my main concern in all of this.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree that Larkin has been very good with the media overall this year, and it's something that I found encouraging about him this year, that he's still growing and gunning for that leadership role.

It's from that perspective that my concern over his comments stems. Which is why I don't see a problem pointing out that, imo, the course shift is extreme enough to comment on, even if it's a totally incidental window/lens to look through.

If I'm going to give Larkin credit for doing a good job digesting the game and trajectory of the team on most nights, I'm going to point out that these comments are disheartening to hear from someone that knows the impact hockey players from Detroit can have on potential future hockey players from Detroit.

Larkin might not care about the ASG. We might not care about the ASG. But some 7 year old that watches Larkin play for the Red Wings with his dad, might be ecstatic to find that Larkin is part of a larger hockey community that spans the continent.

And I think that if questioned without the need to play every conversation like a game of poker where the team keeps everything tight lipped, and if the world of hockey wasn't built on the pride of playing through any injury possible, he might offer a different comment (assuming injury plays a role). If he just says "I've been dealing with a nagging groin injury for the season and could really use the time off to get healthy," nobody bats an eye, but teams also try to attack that weakness.

I think this is a lot of speculation, giving slack, or holding his feet to the fire. I'm sure someone will coach him up on not leaving things open to speculation, but this is not a comment that anyone should be holding against him.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
What is poorer leadership?

Setting a standard where the team is intimidated into restraining/censoring themselves because the media is full of asshats.

I understand it's complicated, and I'm not saying Larkin should have the tools to navigate the situation easily. The media that Holland assembled is detestable imo.

But the last thing I want to see is a leader on the team give up on having a platform to speak to their team, and a way to engender a connection with the fans and community, just because of an imaginary line they are towing with the media.

If you are forthright and elaborate, eventually you can't be taken out of context. I think there is less stopping a player from avoiding cliches and being void of substance than they let on. I understand there is an energy management component, but this case seems an example of why it's sometimes valuable to bite the bullet and use that energy for positivity.

And again, I get that Larkin was trying to be forthright and was trying to have a laugh mostly at his expense. My concerns lie there within.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He was making a joke. There is context to his statement.
He doesn't have the status to make that kind of "joke". He is a young player on the worst team in the NHL that wants to "rest" instead of being an all-star. And this is the guy you guys are BEGGING to be the captain....:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad