Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Greetings from Montreal Boston friends. As you might have heard, the name of Montreal has sometimes been mentioned lately when it comes to an eventual 2 teams expansion in the MLB, or even a relocation of the Rays (which I am not a huge fan knowing how it feels to loose your hometown team). I was just curious about how you Red Sox fans would react if the Expos were to become a part of the AL east division.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Didn’t realize that Boston’s first pick in next June’s draft gets bumped down 10 spots for going 40M over the luxury tax threshold this year.
Yeah the draft pick penalties suck.

They also can't get higher than a 4th round compensation pick for losing a qualified FA

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Greetings from Montreal Boston friends. As you might have heard, the name of Montreal has sometimes been mentioned lately when it comes to an eventual 2 teams expansion in the MLB, or even a relocation of the Rays (which I am not a huge fan knowing how it feels to loose your hometown team). I was just curious about how you Red Sox fans would react if the Expos were to become a part of the AL east division.
Love it

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Hey I finally got a prediction right, as the Mets just signed Wilson Ramos. That is a great signing. Their offense is really slowly improving.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Would be great. The new Montreal team would need to be in Toronto's division more than Boston's of course.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Would be great. The new Montreal team would need to be in Toronto's division more than Boston's of course.

Ya there would be nothing with the Expos and Red Sox except people trying to make something of the Montreal-Boston rivalry that only exists because of hockey. That team was in the NL East for their entire existence.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
It would be sensational. Loved the Expos, and Montreal is great to visit in the summer.

Reactions: GeorgeLebay

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Astros signing Michael Brantley. That’s really bad news for the Sox and the rest of the AL. When he’s healthy he’s a fantastic hitter, honestly one of the best pure OF bats in the league, and will be great in that lineup where he can bat like 5th or 6th.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yanks brought back JA Happ for two years

charlie-murphy.gif

Reactions: dabid

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Astros signing Michael Brantley. That’s really bad news for the Sox and the rest of the AL. When he’s healthy he’s a fantastic hitter, honestly one of the best pure OF bats in the league, and will be great in that lineup where he can bat like 5th or 6th.
Really good signing for them. Definite upgrade over Reddick, who I'm assuming they will move.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Red Sox submit plan to improve bleacher seats at Fenway Park - The Boston Globe

The Red Sox are proposing improvements to the bleacher seats at Fenway Park, as well as a new function room that’ll provide “sweeping views” of the beloved ballyard, according to a letter of intent the team submitted Tuesday to city planning officials.

The letter from Fenway Sports Group, which owns the Red Sox, was sent to the Boston Planning & Development Agency and signed by Jonathan Gilula, the team’s executive vice president of business affairs. The letter also provided details of the company’s proposed 5,000-seat Fenway Theater, a performing arts center eyed for land alongside the ballpark.

Regarding the bleachers, Gilula wrote that the proposed upgrades include “a new area connected to the back of the ballpark’s bleachers that will feature concession stands, restrooms, and other elements designed to enhance the fan experience in the bleachers.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The Red Sox are proposing improvements to the bleacher seats at Fenway Park, as well as a new function room that’ll provide “sweeping views” of the beloved ballyard, according to a letter of intent the team submitted Tuesday to city planning officials.

The letter from Fenway Sports Group, which owns the Red Sox, was sent to the Boston Planning & Development Agency and signed by Jonathan Gilula, the team’s executive vice president of business affairs. The letter also provided details of the company’s proposed 5,000-seat Fenway Theater, a performing arts center eyed for land alongside the ballpark.

Regarding the bleachers, Gilula wrote that the proposed upgrades include “a new area connected to the back of the ballpark’s bleachers that will feature concession stands, restrooms, and other elements designed to enhance the fan experience in the bleachers.”
Honestly I've always felt the bleachers were the best seats in terms of cost-efficiency in the park. The actual chairs are more comfortable than the wooden ones in the grandstands (at least the last time I sat there, which was years ago). Doesn't strike me as a place of great need.

The renovation is fine and all, it just strikes me as an effort to start charging $50 for the formerly $27 seats.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
"other elements designed to enhance the fan experience in the bleachers"

"new function room that’ll provide “sweeping views” of the beloved ballyard"

The place is turning into a venue that's becoming no different than any other in the country,

Concerts, any many gimmick events. What's next? Dog sled races? Mascot world wrestling?

I realize the cost of buying championships. But give it a rest Henry on playing like you give a **** about our beloved park.

You care about Money.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
"other elements designed to enhance the fan experience in the bleachers"

"new function room that’ll provide “sweeping views” of the beloved ballyard"

The place is turning into a venue that's becoming no different than any other in the country,

Concerts, any many gimmick events. What's next? Dog sled races? Mascot world wrestling?

I realize the cost of buying championships. But give it a rest Henry on playing like you give a **** about our beloved park.

You care about Money.

Youre close:

Fenway Park will host another extreme winter sports event

Fans will get to see the best ice cross downhill racers in the world descend a seven-story tower on a 2,000-foot track.

Fenway Park will host another extreme winter sports event | Boston.com

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Honestly I've always felt the bleachers were the best seats in terms of cost-efficiency in the park. The actual chairs are more comfortable than the wooden ones in the grandstands (at least the last time I sat there, which was years ago). Doesn't strike me as a place of great need.

The renovation is fine and all, it just strikes me as an effort to start charging $50 for the formerly $27 seats.

Which is precisely why they need to be "fixed". Oh and the price will probably be $75 (for seats close to the field anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Red Sox, but the tactic the Sox owners/management used in Rhode Island with the PawSox has me dreading the day they announce that they need a new stadium over Fenway. If the city/state is going to payout nearly a quarter of a billion for a minor league stadium, what the heck are they going to pay to keep the Red Sox?

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Fenway has been playing football and hurling In the stadium forever.

Almost every stadium in the US needs to have concerts as an extra revenue stream. The Yankees don’t because the soccer team pays them a million $ per home game anyway.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

That theater will be great if it puts the lame ass House of Rules out of business. No matter what the show is there are hour long lines to get in on Landsdown because they want to full cavity search everyone. F that place.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Which is precisely why they need to be "fixed". Oh and the price will probably be $75 (for seats close to the field anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Red Sox, but the tactic the Sox owners/management used in Rhode Island with the PawSox has me dreading the day they announce that they need a new stadium over Fenway. If the city/state is going to payout nearly a quarter of a billion for a minor league stadium, what the heck are they going to pay to keep the Red Sox?
If the Redsox asked the state Baker probably would have been a proponent of a new stadium if he was Governor in the early 2000s. Newer ballparks have massive upper levels that fans on a budget can get seats in when the redsox played the phillies at citizens bank park last year it was in the 10-20$ range to sit in the upper deck and both teams where leading their division

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That theater will be great if it puts the lame ass House of Rules out of business. No matter what the show is there are hour long lines to get in on Landsdown because they want to full cavity search everyone. F that place.

God forbid they keep you safe, I'm sure Henry would love to put everyone out of business in that area. Because you know ,people want as much of his "beloved" ballpark I mean cash cow as they can get.

I'm sure BU would love to build more in that area, as well. As long as the mayors office keeps getting their perks they will give that greedy group (henry) what they want. But one thing they will never get is waterfront property to build a baseball park.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
God forbid they keep you safe, I'm sure Henry would love to put everyone out of business in that area. Because you know ,people want as much of his "beloved" ballpark I mean cash cow as they can get.

I'm sure BU would love to build more in that area, as well. As long as the mayors office keeps getting their perks they will give that greedy group (henry) what they want. But one thing they will never get is waterfront property to build a baseball park.

Nah the waterfront is meant for overpriced condos for the super elite to park their wealth in (and not inhabit) it would be ridiculous for that land to go towards something regular Bostonians might actually use.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Nah the waterfront is meant for overpriced condos for the super elite to park their wealth in (and not inhabit) it would be ridiculous for that land to go towards something regular Bostonians might actually use.

You are talking about the Sox owners ? You must enjoy spending $50 for a beer and dog LOL maybe $8.00 for a bottle of water?

Nothing like a "regular" Bostonian spending $500 for a night out at the old ball park for two people.

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad