"Hot Goalie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Really, truthiness?

Being slow and being fat are 2 totally different things. He's in better shape NOW than he was even 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that Marty at 37 is in better shape than you!

You are no Sean Avery...get a new saying!

ME-3419.1N.jpg

im+sorry+but+Martin+Brodeur+is+fat+-+NJDevils.jpg

Forget about me... My Dad is in better shape that that.

HawksFanInBoston

Dec 2, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't see how the loss to the US as well as the closeness of the Swiss-Canada game can be blamed entirely on Brodeur, or playing against Hiller/Miller. Brodeur was less than stellar and Hiller/Miller were both amazing, but all we've been hearing about since the teams were announced was how "stacked" the Canadian team is and how easily they should be winning these games. There's more going on than dueling goaltenders. One of these games is excusable for the Canadians, two in a row is not.

Did the US and Swiss outplay Canada overall? Definitely not. They knew what their strengths were and played well enough in other areas to keep the games close and pull out wins. Canada has a team with ridiculous offensive power; they have weaknesses with some of their defense (Pronger, Nieds) and Brodeur. The real problems, I think, are some of the baffling offensive line choices made by Babcock and perhaps starting Brodeur again over Luongo.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
I don't see how the loss to the US as well as the closeness of the Swiss-Canada game can be blamed entirely on Brodeur, or playing against Hiller/Miller. Brodeur was less than stellar and Hiller/Miller were both amazing, but all we've been hearing about since the teams were announced was how "stacked" the Canadian team is and how easily they should be winning these games. There's more going on than dueling goaltenders. One of these games is excusable for the Canadians, two in a row is not.

Did the US and Swiss outplay Canada overall? Definitely not. They knew what their strengths were and played well enough in other areas to keep the games close and pull out wins. Canada has a team with ridiculous offensive power; they have weaknesses with some of their defense (Pronger, Nieds) and Brodeur. The real problems, I think, are some of the baffling offensive line choices made by Babcock and perhaps starting Brodeur again over Luongo.

sure i mean to be fair tho not many canadians are saying Canada was perfect, but more are saying that Miller played awesome... Canada wasn't as bad as it seems, but by no means has Canada played outstanding

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Yes...pictures totally do people justice!

You win...you obviously know a lot more about Marty's weigh than I do!

Congrats Sean Avery...
It wasn't a joke to begin with. Obviously, he's not in prime shape anymore. As to be expected with age.

I have fond memories of how great he was 8 years ago too, but c'mon... Time to get real.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
It wasn't a joke to begin with. Obviously, he's not in prime shape anymore. As to be expected with age.

I have fond memories of how great he was 8 years ago too, but c'mon... Time to get real.

OMG you aren't really serious right? :help:

Turboflex*

Goaltending is part of the game, everyone knew USA (and most other teams) had great goaltending, Canada didn't bring the right players to bear Miller.

In Montreal we hear the same sad hot goalie excuses everytime Halak or Price win a game for the team. It's part of the game, deal with it.

HawksFanInBoston

Dec 2, 2009
Boston, MA
sure i mean to be fair tho not many canadians are saying Canada was perfect, but more are saying that Miller played awesome... Canada wasn't as bad as it seems, but by no means has Canada played outstanding

Miller did have a ridiculously great game, as did Hiller for the Swiss. My point is that no matter how "hot" these goalies are, the Canadians have more than enough offensive power to have won both of these games easily. There is so much talent on Team Canada, and it's not being used effectively at all.

BlackAces*

I can see why you might be tired of hearing it. Unfortunately it is the reality of what transpired last night.

TheCH*

Canada dominated the whole game. But on that night Miller >>>>>>>>> Brodeur.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Miller did have a ridiculously great game, as did Hiller for the Swiss. My point is that no matter how "hot" these goalies are, the Canadians have more than enough offensive power to have won both of these games easily. There is so much talent on Team Canada, and it's not being used effectively at all.

ok fair enough, but i really dont think there was much that could be done to beat miller last night. Babcock didn't make the best decisions, and if Luongo was in net instead of Brodeur maybe the game goes to OT, or Canada does better, or worse we will never no.

Point is Aside from maybe Luongo instead of Brodeur, I don't see many ways you are going to Win that game. As all NHL teams know (especially those in the Northeast) if you give up 4 goals when Ryan Miller are in net, you are in trouble.

HoverCarle*

what else do you say when you have over 40 shots and only 3 goals? Miller played amazing, even though Canada controlled the play for most of the game

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
OP, youve been here longer then me and have one post. This is the first time youve ever posted. Its the most shocking stat in this thread.

Back to the OP, I agree 100%.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It was obviously a combination of things....but Miller had a filthy game and made several saves he had no business making (the glove save in the dying minutes).

Sure, the team played good enough to get a few goals...but look at the shot totals...obviously Miller was the biggest key to the win. If you can't see that you are/were blind.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
When's the last time he won a championship? Probably around the peak time of his career?

Because winning championships and being fat is a correlation right?

Brodeur has had some of his BEST years without a stellar defense in front of him, which has been the last 2-3 years.

But clearly you know everything about Brodeur, so continue on so I can laugh at you.

Fugu

This topic couldn't go in the game discussion threads [highlight on the plurality] why?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad