"Hot Goalie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdc911

Oct 22, 2008
As a fan of the US team, I am getting a bit weary of this "we just faced a hot goalie, it happens..." excuse that the Canadian fans keep using. You used it for the Swiss, and then used it for the Americans.

The Americans faced the same goalie against the Swiss that Canada did, and found a way to win in regulation.

As far as last night's game, yes, Ryan Miller had an awesome game. But did he take the draws? The US won 2 of every 3 draws last night. Did he score any goals? The US scored 5 last night.

And yes, Canada outshot the Americans. Maybe that was because the Americans were LEADING most of the game. The Americans badly outshot Canada in the 2nd period, and then in the 3rd they played a great, defensive road game to finish it.

Face it, the US was the better TEAM last night, they did not just have the better goalie. Perhaps Canada does need an extra game to get things straightened out, I am certainly not counting them out of the gold medal race. I guess the extra 2 weeks of practice the US team had really helped.

Oh, wait....

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
"Hot Goalie"

I thought this thread might have pictures from the womens locker room. Oh well.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
As a fan of the US team, I am getting a bit weary of this "we just faced a hot goalie, it happens..." excuse that the Canadian fans keep using. You used it for the Swiss, and then used it for the Americans.

The Americans faced the same goalie against the Swiss that Canada did, and found a way to win in regulation.

As far as last night's game, yes, Ryan Miller had an awesome game. But did he take the draws? The US won 2 of every 3 draws last night. Did he score any goals? The US scored 5 last night.

And yes, Canada outshot the Americans. Maybe that was because the Americans were LEADING most of the game. The Americans badly outshot Canada in the 2nd period, and then in the 3rd they played a great, defensive road game to finish it.

Face it, the US was the better TEAM last night, they did not just have the better goalie. Perhaps Canada does need an extra game to get things straightened out, I am certainly not counting them out of the gold medal race. I guess the extra 2 weeks of practice the US team had really helped.

Oh, wait....

It was a combination of Miller being hot and Brodeur being mediocre at best. Two of the U.S. goals were a direct result of Brodeur misplaing the puck.

The U.S. played decently though. Although aside from the goaltending I wouldn't say they outplayed Canada.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
You won a game against Canada, don't wet your pants. Miller was the reason you won the game. He wasn't the only reason but he was the biggest one.

Miller cut short the momentum for Canada, Miller made the big saves when he needed to.

Miller was easily the biggest reason for the outcome. He's still part of your team though, I don't see how saying he won the game is a bad thing. If Crosby scored 11 goals against you then you would have just "run into a hot center". :P

Miller is part of your team, last night he was the biggest part.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Lundqvist 2gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Luongo 1gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Backstrom 1gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Halak 3gp 3gp 1.30 gaa .951 sv%
Bryzgalov 1gp 1.85 gaa .939 sv%
Miller 3gp 3gp 1.67 gaa .930 sv%
Vokoun 3gp 2.01 gaa .929 sv%
Nabokov 2gp 2.00 gaa .911 sv%
Kiprusoff 2gp 2.00 gaa .909 sv%
Gustavsson 1gp 2.00 gaa .895 sv%
Brodeur 2gp 2.90 gaa .867 sv%

Brodeur is currently the worst goaltender in the Big 7.

"Hot" or not, it's safe to say Miller outplayed him. Heck, even Gustavsson outplayed him.

Fatso simply cannot move fast enough anymore.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Lundqvist 2gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Luongo 1gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Backstrom 1gp 0.00 gaa 1.000 sv%
Halak 3gp 3gp 1.30 gaa .951 sv%
Bryzgalov 1gp 1.85 gaa .939 sv%
Miller 3gp 3gp 1.67 gaa .930 sv%
Vokoun 3gp 2.01 gaa .929 sv%
Nabokov 2gp 2.00 gaa .911 sv%
Kiprusoff 2gp 2.00 gaa .909 sv%
Gustavsson 1gp 2.00 gaa .895 sv%
Brodeur 2gp 2.90 gaa .867 sv%

Brodeur is currently the worst goaltender in the Big 7.

"Hot" or not, it's safe to say Miller outplayed him. Heck, even Gustavsson outplayed him.

Fatso simply cannot move fast enough anymore.

Get your own joke! :shakehead

FruityPants3*

Yeah, 45 shots from chumps like Crosby, Iginla, Nash, Heatley, Marleau etc., and a third of those legitimate scoring chances, but it was just a great team game that stopped Canada from winning. Not Ryan Miller showing he might be the best in the world or anything.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

Oh, wait....

No. It was all Brodeur, Pronger and Nash's fault. Ryan Miller just got lucky. The Americans were terrible and their third-rate, third-world hockey program is a joke. They should not have even qualified for the Olympics. :sarcasm:

CaptKirk

Nov 30, 2008
St.Catharines

Oh, wait....

what?

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
You won a game against Canada, don't wet your pants. Miller was the reason you won the game. He wasn't the only reason but he was the biggest one.

Miller cut short the momentum for Canada, Miller made the big saves when he needed to.

Miller was easily the biggest reason for the outcome. He's still part of your team though, I don't see how saying he won the game is a bad thing. If Crosby scored 11 goals against you then you would have just "run into a hot center". :P

Miller is part of your team, last night he was the biggest part.

Well Crosby did score 2 goals yesterday. His goal for the Americans was nicer than the one he scored for Canada.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Canada had the US reeling to finish the 1st and well into the 2nd. It seemed like shift after shift was spent in your zone. Then Marty happened. 3-2, all the momentum in the world gone, and then we took some bad penalties. Our PP was and has been very weak. It happens, the US played well, but I wouldn't say they were the better team overall.

The US had a game plan for Brodeur, and he was exposed big time. Even his own teammates know what's up with Brodeur.

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
You definitely simplify things too much to say US was simply the better team last night, but I will say I'm getting tired of the hot goalie excuse myself. There are ways to overcome this, not being able to do so is a failure and weakness in either/or both selection and execution, and shouldn't simply be written off as 'hey we ran into a hot goalie'.

Brain Sergeant

Squirrel!
May 28, 2007

Oh, wait....

So if Tim Thomas had of been in there and faced 45 shots the result would have been the same right?

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Joke or not, it still has a lot of truthiness. He's much slower now than way back when he was on top of his game. He doesn't look like he's in the best shape either. Age: It happens.

Really, truthiness?

Being slow and being fat are 2 totally different things. He's in better shape NOW than he was even 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that Marty at 37 is in better shape than you!

You are no Sean Avery...get a new saying!

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Miller played great and Brodeur played not so great isn't an excuse. It's a fact. It contributed to the US winning and Canadians are obviously going to point it out in their assessment of the game. I'm not saying it's the sole reason the US one, because it wasn't, but it was a big factor. It seems to me that a lot of the Americans on here want Canadians to be crying and making excuses, but they're not really finding it. As a result, we get threads like this.

PWB

Dreaming of Donuts
Jan 31, 2006
Canada had the US reeling to finish the 1st and well into the 2nd. It seemed like shift after shift was spent in your zone. Then Marty happened. 3-2, all the momentum in the world gone, and then we took some bad penalties. Our PP was and has been very weak. It happens, the US played well, but I wouldn't say they were the better team overall.

The US had a game plan for Brodeur, and he was exposed big time. Even his own teammates know what's up with Brodeur.

This is why I prefer hockey to figure skating. There is nothing subjective about the outcome. Life is comprised of a series of moments, and for this moment the scoreboard says that the US was the better team overall.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
No. It was all Brodeur, Pronger and Nash's fault. Ryan Miller just got lucky. The Americans were terrible and their third-rate, third-world hockey program is a joke. They should not have even qualified for the Olympics. :sarcasm:

No America is now on par with Canada and Russia, maybe even better. Look at the superstars on the American team. Drury, Callahan, Quick, Orpick, Pavelski, Malone. I see at least 10-15 hart trophy nominees in the next few years. Welcome to the upper tier.

Even if miller has a bad game next game it's ok because the opposition goalie will always have a sub .900 save percentage. Oh but wait Miller will never have another bad game again so no need to worry.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Brodeur had an off night. I still think he is a great goalie, but I'm hoping we use Luongo for the rest of the tournie.

Gratz to the US team, but I wouldn't break your arm patting yourself on the back just yet. From what I can see there are at least 3 teams in the tournie (not counting Canada) that have an advantage over you. Both of our teams have to improve to get a gold.

Spatula*

I don't get how people can say Canada lost purely because of Miller. Canada has no chemistry at all and the US just played a much better team game. No excuses.

FruityPants3*

I'm pretty sure that Marty at 37 is in better shape than you!

OMG. A professionally trained athlete surrounded by professional trainers and professional cooks making million of dollars is in better shape than someone on a message board? Say it ain't so. Clearly a comparison between professional goaltenders and message board posters is more relevant than professional goaltenders and other professional goaltenders. You really told him.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
no matter how many times you say it getting outshot 2-1 is not a winning formula... you are much less likely to win if that happens... unless you have a hot goalie

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
OMG. A professionally trained athlete surrounded by professional trainers and professional cooks making million of dollars is in better shape than someone on a message board? Say it ain't so. Clearly a comparison between professional goaltenders and message board posters is more relevant than professional goaltenders and other professional goaltenders. You really told him.

Well a professional athlete (if that's what you want to consider Avery) called him "fatso" and internet posters use it like it's the truth!

Yeah you clearly showed me too, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad