Value of: Horvat + Tanev

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Value of: Horvat + Tanev

I'm not interested in trading these guys (nor is management), but I am curious if a package of Horvat and Tanev could land the Canucks a potential franchise defenseman or potential franchise center (assuming that the Canucks packaged Horvat and Tanev for a young piece in the 19-22 age range).

So, with a trade of Horvat and Tanev, the Canucks either get a legit heir apparent to Henrik Sedin, or a guy that will likely be an elite defenseman for years to come.

Again, I personally wouldn't go this route in all likelihood, but am curious to see what this kind of package would get.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
sooo.. quantity for.. quality.. that's what you are suggesting?
those type of threads don't usually go over to well on these boards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Do Canuck fans really have faith in Jim Benning's ability to trade core pieces like Horvat and Tanev and get any reasonable value back? Don't give him any ideas.:help:

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
No.

1) A team that has a young player whose track record in the NHL is already established enough to have a strong chance of matching Henrik Sedin's production wouldn't trade that player for Horvat and Tanev alone...

2) ...so the only way the Canucks could acquire such a player would be to trade that package for a player who possesses that potential, but no NHL track record, which is a deal that both Canucks management and fanbase would have no interest in making, given Horvat and Tanev's value as proven commodities.

There's no deal to be made here.

Last edited:

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Do Canuck fans really have faith in Jim Benning's ability to trade core pieces like Horvat and Tanev and get any reasonable value back? Don't give him any ideas.:help:

Yea I am sure that anything said on this board will effect Jim Benning.

psst Jim, if you're reading this, sell hard at the deadline.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Value of: Horvat + Tanev

I'm not interested in trading these guys (nor is management), but I am curious if a package of Horvat and Tanev could land the Canucks a potential franchise defenseman or potential franchise center (assuming that the Canucks packaged Horvat and Tanev for a young piece in the 19-22 age range).

So, with a trade of Horvat and Tanev, the Canucks either get a legit heir apparent to Henrik Sedin, or a guy that will likely be an elite defenseman for years to come.

Again, I personally wouldn't go this route in all likelihood, but am curious to see what this kind of package would get.

Unfortunately, it's not like those things (franchise defenseman/center) are moved every 3 weeks.... Maybe a Colorado dangles a Duchene but they don't really need a RHD like Tanev... fit and needs become issues...

Canucks best option in the event they trade Tanev is either to go after a Hall/Larsson type deal, or cash Tanev in for futures. Horvat ought to be a non-starter in trade talks. (Tanev too but I digress - I can understand the rationale behind dangling him...) But as for *acquiring* some kind of franchise player - good luck with that.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I could see Nashville being interested in moving one of their dmen for Horvat. But any deal involving top talent is difficult.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I wouldn't trade Reinhart for Tanev + Horvat + Boeser/Juolevi

Reinhart isn't going anywhere unless there's a huge overpayment

That would be a horrible GM move to not make that deal for the Sabres... the difference between Horvat and Reinhart is small

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

ahahahahahahahahah - i'm a Sabres fan and if Benning offered Horvat + Tanev I'd drive Reinhart to the airport.

Watch some hockey, Horvat is a stud, Tanev would be the Sabres #2 dman.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Sadly, it's just not the right sort of assets to obtain anything of the quality your're probably seeking. Horvat and Tanev are both great assets on their own, but franchise quality prospects aren't a linear consideration; you can't just stack value and hope to acquire them.

As difficult as it might be to stomach, you're better off just playing the rebuild game.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
no.

1) a team that has a young player whose track record in the nhl is already established enough to have a strong chance of matching henrik sedin's production wouldn't trade that player for horvat and tanev alone...

2) ...so the only way the canucks could acquire such a player would be to trade that package for a player who possesses that potential, but no nhl track record, which is a deal that both canucks management and fanbase would have no interest in making, given horvat and tanev's value as proven commodities.

There's no deal to be made here.

this!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Wait...so you don't think that Tanev + Horvat + Juolevi is a huge overpayment?
Yikes. You need a reality check, bud.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Saldy Horvat isn't a young #1 C, looks to be a good #2 C, a Kadri tier player who is still great, but not a piece in a franchise player trade. Tanev is great, but again is in his prime and would need to go to a team looking to win now.

So you need to find a team who just lucked into a potential franchise player, is looking to compete for the cup, and wants to win now by adding some depth rather than develop this player.

Not only is this scenario very unlikely, but other teams would very easily beat this offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad