News Article: Horrific news, CT Prep School student dies from accident in game

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Huge warning. The description in the story is awful

That poor kid and his family plus the players.

Devastating

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's heartbreaking.

There is sadly nothing anyone can say to make anyone involved feel any better.

So sad.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They don't wear mandatory neck guards?

Horrible for him, but that has to have been incredibly traumatic for all the other players on the ice. Because if I'm interpreting the description correctly, that had to have been a brutal thing to watch.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Feel so terribly for both teams who had to see that, that’s the worst kind of life changing

RIP to the young man. He deserved so much better.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
They don't wear mandatory neck guards?

Horrible for him, but that has to have been incredibly traumatic for all the other players on the ice. Because if I'm interpreting the description correctly, that had to have been a brutal thing to watch.

I was wondering the same...when I played years ago neck guards were mandatory.

So sad. :(

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
For some reason neck guards are mandatory up to Bantams, but not in Midgets or High School...I never understood why. This story was my worst nightmare watching my son play.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Truly heartbreaking. Cannot imagine what it was like for those at the game, particularly this young man’s father. To be there and witness your son in that situation and watch the efforts to save his life must be a hell that no words can describe. God I feel for everyone, but particularly his Dad. RIP and hopefully some small degree of peace in the future for his friends and family. Going to be an excruciating road ahead.

Reactions: Budddy

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ugh. neck guards should be required until at least through high school.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And the poor kid whose skate caused the injury, can't imagine what he's going through.

Honestly it's kind of amazing there haven't been more injuries like this in the history of hockey.

This is just terrible. :cry:

Reactions: BMC

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Damn. Just...DAMN.

This brings to mind what happened to Clint Malarchuk, Richard Zednik and Tucker Tynan. And NOT in a good way. Those incidents were horrible enough. But THIS....:cry:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I drove my grandson to a tournament a couple of weeks ago where there were I think 4 rinks. I was a little nervous seeing all of these kids playing with no ambulance or (I believe) no medical personnel there in case of something horrific like this were to happen. None of the kids/teams were wearing any form of "neck guards that I saw. This is just terribly heartbreaking for all involved.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I drove my grandson to a tournament a couple of weeks ago where there were I think 4 rinks. I was a little nervous seeing all of these kids playing with no ambulance or (I believe) no medical personnel there in case of something horrific like this were to happen. None of the kids/teams were wearing any form of "neck guards that I saw. This is just terribly heartbreaking for all involved.
Heartbreaking indeed. The young man was a volunteer with the special hockey team in Southern Connecticut. This was a horrible tragedy in every way, but that hit close to home.

Gordoff, to your point, a few years ago we were playing pickup at the old Rockland ice rink and a player collapsed and died almost instantly. None of us had cell service in the building. One of our skaters who had a cooler head than the rest of us went over to the fire alarm box and pulled the alarm. Fire department was there in no time, but the medical analysis was that the player died instantly and there was nothing that could have been done to save him. Having said that, every time I enter a rink now I look for the alarm boxes in case an emergency happens.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2