Horrible Job Kings HFBoarders/Wikiers Are Doing

EagleBlack87

Score ze goals
Sep 18, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_Kings_draft_picks

We don't even have the list from 67-91. A few players who have played a game with us aren't even highlighted in blue (Nolan & Voynov). If I was semi-competent in Wiki edits I'd jump in and do it myself.:(

Anyway what made me look at the list is to see what 4th & 6th round players Deano has drafted in wake of the Westgarth trade. If he can land us another King or Martinez, this trade will look very nice.. :)

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Thanks for the compliment. :shakehead

I am the lone Kings fan on Wikipedia it seems, thus I tend to handle those pages myself. Frankly, it is a daunting task and you should have seen the page before I went to work on it. Since basically, Wikipedia is a code based site, it is painstaking to format it. It isn't simply a document writer like Word. A lot of the Kings pages are half finished because I have a life outside of Wikipedia. The idea of Wikipedia is if something is missing and you don't like it, fix it, don't complain about it.

I have noticed that Gann tends to help out around there too. But really, it seems it is us that edit the pages. He seems more into the current stuff and edits those.

Ron*

Thanks for the compliment. :shakehead

I am the lone Kings fan on Wikipedia it seems, thus I tend to handle those pages myself. Frankly, it is a daunting task and you should have seen the page before I went to work on it. Since basically, Wikipedia is a code based site, it is painstaking to format it. It isn't simply a document writer like Word. A lot of the Kings pages are half finished because I have a life outside of Wikipedia. The idea of Wikipedia is if something is missing and you don't like it, fix it, don't complain about it.

I have noticed that Gann tends to help out around there too. But really, it seems it is us that edit the pages. He seems more into the current stuff and edits those.

More power to you, brother. Every time I try to edit any wiki file its like applying for a loan refinance. I can't seem to get it right, and the wiki police won't just allow anyone to edit...

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I edited the LA Kings page once. I just added the "Return to the playoffs (2009-10 to present)" title.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
More power to you, brother. Every time I try to edit any wiki file its like applying for a loan refinance. I can't seem to get it right, and the wiki police won't just allow anyone to edit...

Thanks.

The Wiki Police will allow anyone so long as you source the material. I very seldomly create brand new pages since those are the ones that get nailed by the Wiki Police. I understand the concept behind it being a reliable and verifiable document, but some of the rules do drive me nuts. The biggest one (which incidentally many hockey pages tread the line on) is that it is not a sports stats almanac. Quite honestly, many things should be added to the site, but they are simply stats and would get deleted swiftly. Hockey is also a very difficult subject to get into, since the sports projects (baseball mostly it seems) refer to it as the hockey mafia. There are a few people well versed in Wikipedia rules and regulations (and also hockey project rules and regulations) that enforce those much more strictly than say the baseball project (or even less so the other sports that have projects really in name only).

There is one annoying thing about Wikipedia though. When it first started many sites folded their research into it. Being that I was in University when this started it created a problem in writing papers. The one source I had found was rulers.org (or .com or something like that) which was simply a list of every head of state for every nation ever. It was great when I needed to source a name of a King or President. Wikipedia came along and professors said it was not a reliable site to use for papers. The person behind rulers.org folded their site into Wikipedia, making it infinitely harder to find a source for the head of state for Prussia in 1754.

Ultimately, if anyone wants to get into being an editor at Wikipedia, let me know my user name is the same here as over there. PM here or post to my Talk Page on Wikipedia (though it probably is easier to reach me here, I have lost the drive to edit on Wikipedia lately and don't log into my account as often) and I will gladly look over whatever you add to the page. A word of advice, start with editing prose, as opposed to tables. Tables are really easy to screw up as there is a precise way to format them. The good news is that I have heard Wikipedia is planning to revamp how editing is done to make it much easier for people to edit pages

EagleBlack87

Score ze goals
Sep 18, 2007
Just want to give a shoutout to whoever has updated the Wiki page. It looks great. Shootmaster, if it's you, job well done!

HolyShot*

What does it run? JavaScript? CSS? I know java, I could help out.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

A few years ago, I did a re-write of the Los Angeles Kings article on Wikipedia, but I haven't had nearly as much time to keep at it, so I don't contribute much there anymore. I got one article (Manzanar) up to Featured Article status (I was the primary author), but then didn't have much time for Wikipedia anymore.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_Kings_draft_picks

We don't even have the list from 67-91. A few players who have played a game with us aren't even highlighted in blue (Nolan & Voynov). If I was semi-competent in Wiki edits I'd jump in and do it myself.:(

Anyway what made me look at the list is to see what 4th & 6th round players Deano has drafted in wake of the Westgarth trade. If he can land us another King or Martinez, this trade will look very nice.. :)

Hockeydb or elite prospects is your friend... pretty much has exactly the info you're looking for...

Also the 96th pick was traded to EDM for the Kings to move up to take Zykov, the 6th round pick from that trade was for this coming years draft (2014) so nothing has become of it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad