Confirmed with Link: Horcoff named new Assistant GM and GM of the Griffins

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Like the move. Horcoff was a smart, over-achieving player at Michigan State and the NHL and has come across as very sharp in interviews. Hasn't taken him long at all to rise up the management ranks.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Well congrats Shawn! He's always been a class act, no wonder he got promoted. I was expecting an outsider a codename "JBB" to be hired for, but i guess the stats/analytics department is fine under Campbell, Kosinski and Kahn.

I wonder are they going to hire anyone new to the player deveplopment squad. Cleary is most likely to be promoted to full director, Kronwall is european director, Dwayne Blais is player development consultant and Phil Osaer is head of goaltending scouting and development. Jiri Fischer's official title is associate director of player personnel and Fischer was director of player development before Horcoff.

Reactions: 14ari13

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Horcoff quote by Khan:

Danny Cleary, assistant director of player development, and Niklas Kronwall, director of European development, will assume some of Horcoff’s previous duties.

Sounds like they will wait to fill the position. Maybe Lidstrom will have a role.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Horcoff quote by Khan:

Danny Cleary, assistant director of player development, and Niklas Kronwall, director of European development, will assume some of Horcoff’s previous duties.

Sounds like they will wait to fill the position. Maybe Lidstrom will have a role.
Lidstrom is basically heading up the European division of hockey operations so that Hakan and Kronwall have an office space to come to every once in awhile.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lidstrom is basically heading up the European division of hockey operations so that Hakan and Kronwall have an office space to come to every once in awhile.
European branch of the country club.
(Those guys over there do such a good job though, not really a complaint.)

Gotta be nice to work with old friends though. Wish I had a job like that....
(as I wrote that I realized I've known one of my coworkers for over 2 decades, lol)

I did work in the same department as my best friend for 6 years, that was cool.

Reactions: golffuul

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Thought it'd be a joint venture between Lidstrom and himself. Not a surprising hire though either way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Draper is a guy that seems content with the scouting side of things. His job is safe and I don't see Yzerman letting him go so quickly.

My major concern with Verbeek moving to Anaheim is that maybe some other guys that aren't life long DRWs move with him, like Rezmierski.

I would be more worried at Tampa. Verbeek is gonna steal their guys from management. He is quite new for our new staff, but has longer history there (9 years at Tampa) with many guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
During Horcoff's tenure our player DEVELOPMENT has been pretty proor. Since 2016 to 2022.

I'm happy that he is transferred to another role and Yzerman will probably rebuild that development side a bit.

Why do you think it was poor? What should have been done different/better?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why is that on him and not the prospects?

Because there are multiple prospects and only one Horcoff. Our developing on multiple guy is just average, and we are not having any surprise developers, like we did have in the past. And Like Tampa Bay has had on latest years.

Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, for example. Average, average, average. Horcoff-built system seems to be average.

Average job is average job. We need our system to the THE BEST again. And Yzerman is clearly fixing it.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Because there are multiple prospects and only one Horcoff. Our developing on multiple guy is just average, and we are not having any surprise developers, like we did have in the past. And Like Tampa Bay has had on latest years.

Rasmussen, Veleno, Zadina, for example. Average, average, average. Horcoff-built system seems to be average.

Average job is average job. We need our system to the THE BEST again. And Yzerman is clearly fixing it.

That's on scouts/drafting much more than it is on Horcoff. And in reality, it's too soon for fans to tell what his impact was. So many of the players he's overseen are still early in their development. But Yzerman giving him a big promotion is surely a sign that he was better than "average."

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As for Fischer, it does appear that Horcoff has "passed" him, in a way. But Fischer is still with the organization and he is well-liked internally. His role (Director of Player Evaluation) was labeled a promotion when he moved into it and when Horcoff slid into the Director of Player Development role, though these kind organizational chess moves are often ways to allow the creme to rise to the top without alienating other valuable members of the organization.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Horcoff? feels kinda random

can't say I know enough about him to have much of an opinion on this one way or the other, although I will say I was hoping for an external hire for the role

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Horcoff? feels kinda random

can't say I know enough about him to have much of an opinion on this one way or the other, although I will say I was hoping for an external hire for the role
It's an inline promotion. His name was on the GR website even before the promotion, so not a big surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad