News Article: Horachek preaching 5-5-5 defense

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
“I like to use the numbers 5, 5, 5, which means in every single zone, you have all your people there,†Horachek told The Fan 590. “That means there’s a cluster of people. Back pressure is the biggest difference in the last eight years or so … (successful teams) don’t allow teams to have to have second wave attacks.â€

In other words, Horachek wants to focus on coordination from the players on the ice, with everyone being involved offensively and everyone switching over to defense as soon as the puck is turned over.

“Getting everyone in the picture at all times is going to be key,†Horachek added.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...istant-coach-horachek-preaches-5-5-5-defense/

Sounds straightforward to me: get everyone involved in the defensive aspect of the game, using an easy-to-understand system for the players.

Start rolling 4 lines and we should be a much tougher team to play against this year.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Finally someone who gets it! Here's to hoping he can hammer that home with all 4 lines and all 3 d pairings.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If management believes that changing the system will help our defensive game, then I god hope it does.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
really happy they want to make changes, Carlyle's system was HORRID last year, it was like a rush collapse hybrid that didnt fit our players at all.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Here comes that guy that sees the bad in everything. The one thing that worries me is not what he is saying but that he is saying it. I know they said they were going to let the assistant coaches speak more but this could be dangerous. I REALLY hope they consult with each other before they are speaking to the media. If Horacheck says one thing and Carlyle says something contradictory the media will absolutely eat them up. I prefer one person one message, let the assistant coaches deal with other things instead.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds good in theory but we do have a lot of personnel who thrive by cheating on defense to generate counter rushes, so we'll see how this works out.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Here comes that guy that sees the bad in everything. The one thing that worries me is not what he is saying but that he is saying it. I know they said they were going to let the assistant coaches speak more but this could be dangerous. I REALLY hope they consult with each other before they are speaking to the media. If Horacheck says one thing and Carlyle says something contradictory the media will absolutely eat them up. I prefer one person one message, let the assistant coaches deal with other things instead.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's July; there's months to go, I highly doubt they've even decided on what their systems are going to be this year. I just like his approach: I've never heard it referred to as 5-5-5 but it makes a helluva lot of sense to me.

You can hear the entire 590 interview here:
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/17/peter-horachek-on-sportsnet-590/

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Sounds good in theory but we do have a lot of personnel who thrive by cheating on defense to generate counter rushes, so we'll see how this works out.

I think they cheat because they feel they have to, because the top two lines have been heavily relied on to score and we can't sustain any pressure down low, so gamble, gamble, gamble has been the name of the game.

Start rolling 4 lines, forget about match-up craziness and get everyone engaged up and down the bench. All the better teams are doing that and the last time we were consistently good, Quinn had half a dozen 20 goal scorers and 4 lines that could play hockey (yes, Domi could play hockey).

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I think they cheat because they feel they have to, because the top two lines have been heavily relied on to score and we can't sustain any pressure down low, so gamble, gamble, gamble has been the name of the game.

Start rolling 4 lines, forget about match-up craziness and get everyone engaged up and down the bench. All the better teams are doing that and the last time we were consistently good, Quinn had half a dozen 20 goal scorers and 4 lines that could play hockey (yes, Domi could play hockey).

Doesn't Carlyle love his matchups?

I would definitely love to see us play better team defense. I just think everyone has to buy in for it to be successful.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

If he can convince Lupul to backcheck, Ill have faith that he can convince anyone.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Doesn't Carlyle love his matchups?

He does, and why he was chased out of town in ANA. Boudreau rolls 4 lines and the Ducks were night and day when he took over with a very similar roster.

Carlyle's going to be under pressure from top down/bottom up and will be strongly encouraged to change his methods, which is why guys with head coach experience were brought in.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
This is great to hear. As soon as I read this I thought about Quinn always preaching about 5-man defense. Everyone comes back to help, no questions asked.

Jacob8hockey*

Exactly. It wasn't that we have a bad team or even team management and staff its just that our system was pretty much gamble. Every play had a risk to it. Flipped heads for the majority of the season than flipped tails to end it off.

I also believe that it would have been possible to switch systems with 20 games left.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I like what he said about backpressure.

I've been posting for awhile saying this teams puck support and backpressure are just about as bad as it gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad