Hope for Washington Capitals' AHL prospects, despite mediocre record

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
connor_carrick_washington_122015.jpg
Photo: Connor Carrick has 62 points in 117 regular season games as a Hershey Bear, fine totals for a young defenceman. (Courtesy of David Hahn/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The Washington Capitals are off to one of the best starts in franchise history with a talented lineup that has dominated the Eastern Conference in 2014-15. The Hershey Bears, Washington’s AHL affiliate, has not been as impressive but there are some players who will be contributors for the Caps in the future.

Hershey has slipped to the middle of the pack since winning back-to-back Calder Cups in 2009 and 2010, failing to reach the second round of the playoffs until last season under first-year coach Troy Mann.… read more

The post Hope for AHL Washington Capitals prospects, despite mediocre record appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Is it too soon to say we should have picked Larkin over Vrana?

IMO, it's ok to miss out on great players, as long as your own players pan out. If Vrana develops to a top-6 player, it's a good pick...

On the bright side, most teams can probably say the same thing about missing out on Kuznetsov :) Although in Kuz's case, I don't think they have any excuse after what he showed in that juniors comeback against Canada.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think George ventured into the murky red waters a bit more than other GMs....

Because he had his trump card here in Washington already. Ovi, of course. It's fun being Ovi, and almost as fun joining your countryman overseas.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Although in Kuz's case, I don't think they have any excuse after what he showed in that juniors comeback against Canada.
That was after he was already drafted, though.

In Larkin's case he was playing behind Eichel & Matthews on the NTDP so it wasn't clear what sort of upside he had. Detroit banked on his two-way instincts winning out and hit it big. It happens. I'd hope the Caps gamble on two-way instincts and competitiveness a bit more often going forward, esp. later in the draft. Not predominantly so but more of a mix.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

In Larkin's case he was playing behind Eichel & Matthews on the NTDP so it wasn't clear what sort of upside he had. Detroit banked on his two-way instincts winning out and hit it big. It happens. I'd hope the Caps gamble on two-way instincts and competitiveness a bit more often going forward, esp. later in the draft. Not predominantly so but more of a mix.

Ah, alright, I guess my memory failed on that one! GMs get a pass then...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

That was my recollection as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Where is Larkin if drafted instead of Vrana? Is he playing in Washington? Lets see what Vrana becomes, but lets also not assume that Larkin would have taken Johansson's spot or has forced Burakovsky to Hershey.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Where is Larkin if drafted instead of Vrana? Is he playing in Washington? Lets see what Vrana becomes, but lets also not assume that Larkin would have taken Johansson's spot or has forced Burakovsky to Hershey.

Dylan Larkin would have easily won the 3C spot at the start of the season. Johansson wasn't the 3C until Beagle got hurt.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

I suspect being as deep as we are he'd not be on the pro roster. He would have had to show up quite a few people in camp and by a mile. In DET he had a great opportunity and has made the most of it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dylan Larkin would have easily won the 3C spot at the start of the season. Johansson wasn't the 3C until Beagle got hurt.

No. Barry Trotz was using Beagle at 3C regardless. The only avenue for Larkin would have been to displace Burakovsky and even then the available toi was limited. The Larkin in Detroit is not close to the Larkin the Caps would have had.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sorry but regardless of where Larkin would go in the current lineup, I'd rather have him than Vrana who just returned from injury and plays in Hershey. Larkin has become the biggest offensive threat on the Wings, surpassing Dats and Z.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry but regardless of where Larkin would go in the current lineup, I'd rather have him than Vrana who just returned from injury and plays in Hershey. Larkin has become the biggest offensive threat on the Wings, surpassing Dats and Z.

question is though, we dont know if larkin would excel in dc. yes he did well in detroit but that doesnt mean anything for the caps. he would most likely jump in at 3c, would he have still taken off with chimera and wilson as opposed to playing on red wings first line?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
question is though, we dont know if larkin would excel in dc. yes he did well in detroit but that doesnt mean anything for the caps. he would most likely jump in at 3c, would he have still taken off with chimera and wilson as opposed to playing on red wings first line?

At least on our 3rd line he'd be dealing with easier competition. The thing is, which one of Larkin or Vrana would contribute more to the Caps. The answer is Larkin for me. No regrets though, we got a good player in Vrana anyway.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
Dylan Larkin is eye-poppingly good this year. Don't think many expected him to evolve into that player. Vrana seems pretty good ... but if you could do the pick over, you go with Larkin.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Larkin is really good and would have been a 3C given the talent on this team. No shame in putting Beagle down to 4C (where he is very good). 3 scoring lines and a defensive 4th line is a good way to go in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad