Hope for a better day?? Morehouse speaks

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
*Know what? I answered my own question. Rossi took a veiled shot at Morehouse on the puck daddy podcast and this is his reaction. Foolish and arrogant.

I find it entertaining b/c neither guy knows **** about the game.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Was it ever determined how much (if any) Morehouse had to do with the keeping of Letang 2 years ago? I recall the word was that the deal was set, but was scuttled from On High somehow, with hints that Tanger and his bedroom-eyes were "too market-able" to be sent off....
Hence the 7+mil cap hit.
Was that really Morehouse?.....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens need to hire an outside guy and give him control of all aspects to completely break with the toxic policies that have killed this team. Similar to what Babcock's supposed demands are. Otherwise all that they are doing is moving chairs around on the titanic as it goes down.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Was it ever determined how much (if any) Morehouse had to do with the keeping of Letang 2 years ago? I recall the word was that the deal was set, but was scuttled from On High somehow, with hints that Tanger and his bedroom-eyes were "too market-able" to be sent off....
Hence the 7+mil cap hit.

Aside from some unpredictable situations, like the current injury and the heart issue (which reportedly is completely resolved), hasn't Letang proven to be worth that contract and more? It is a relative bargain already in fact given contracts of late to similar and much worse players. Look at the reaction to his loss and how that alone seems to have condemned us to being worse than Buffalo.

Honestly, what is the issue now with his contract?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You missed the Perron deal.

Hence the 7+mil cap hit.

I do remember the rumblings of the possible trade. Anyone remember if there were any specifics of who and what for?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bottom line is that none of us know for sure just how much of an impact Morehouse has on anything personnel or hockey related. We may want to think one way or another, but until some concrete information comes out from a credible source, we'll never know. That's never going to happen though. I have a hard time thinking he's really the culprit though, or else we'd hear a lot more rumblings from guys like McKenzie, Dreger, or the like.

All we can hope is that this organization has the brains to pinpoint what is wrong and the balls to go about fixing the issues. The resolutions aren't complicated and won't be a long process, but there is a definite air of "rip the band-aid off quickly" to the moves that need to be made. We're gonna have to make the (apparently) difficult decision to severe ties with Kunitz, Sutter and Scuderi. We're going to have to allow Martin, Ehrhoff and Adams to walk. We're going to have to make a commitment to shifting to a more youthful, bigger, harder to play against lineup. We're gonna have to bite the bullet and move one of Letang, Maatta, or Pouliot--because that's the position we find ourselves in after more than half a decade of terrible drafting, development, and poor free agent signings.

All that being said, I have zero faith in any of it happening. Sutter's gonna be re-signed. Scuderi's gonna retire as a 2nd pairing d-man. Kunitz is going to continue to be a soul-sucking leech on either Sid or Geno's line while getting top PP time.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Bottom line is that none of us know for sure just how much of an impact Morehouse has on anything personnel or hockey related. We may want to think one way or another, but until some concrete information comes out from a credible source, we'll never know. That's never going to happen though. I have a hard time thinking he's really the culprit though, or else we'd hear a lot more rumblings from guys like McKenzie, Dreger, or the like.

All we can hope is that this organization has the brains to pinpoint what is wrong and the balls to go about fixing the issues. The resolutions aren't complicated and won't be a long process, but there is a definite air of "rip the band-aid off quickly" to the moves that need to be made. We're gonna have to make the (apparently) difficult decision to severe ties with Kunitz, Sutter and Scuderi. We're going to have to allow Martin, Ehrhoff and Adams to walk. We're going to have to make a commitment to shifting to a more youthful, bigger, harder to play against lineup. We're gonna have to bite the bullet and move one of Letang, Maatta, or Pouliot--because that's the position we find ourselves in after more than half a decade of terrible drafting, development, and poor free agent signings.

All that being said, I have zero faith in any of it happening. Sutter's gonna be re-signed. Scuderi's gonna retire as a 2nd pairing d-man. Kunitz is going to continue to be a soul-sucking leech on either Sid or Geno's line while getting top PP time.

David Morehouse is Chief Executive Officer and President of the Penguins, overseeing every aspect of the team’s operations.

Source: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56529#morehouse

Is that credible enough for you?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
people seem incredibly eager to pin much of this teams troubles on morehouse, rather than considering the uncomfortable possibility that lemieux is a detriment to this organization. lemieux very clearly has a well documented history of fairly extreme views about how hockey is meant to be played, and was the architect of the nineties country club. if croneyism and a second iteration of the country club are now issues, logic would suggest that lemieux may be to blame.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
people seem incredibly eager to pin much of this teams troubles on morehouse, rather than considering the uncomfortable possibility that lemieux is a detriment to this organization. lemieux very clearly has a well documented history of fairly extreme views about how hockey is meant to be played, and was the architect of the nineties country club. if croneyism and a second iteration of the country club are now issues, logic would suggest that lemieux may be to blame.

Logic would also suggest Sid and Geno wouldn't have been playing with garbage wingers for most of their career if Lemieux was heavily involved in roster decisions.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Logic would also suggest Sid and Geno wouldn't have been playing with garbage wingers for most of their career if Lemieux was heavily involved in roster decisions.

weren't you the one who didn't know that lemieux cited the officiating as a reason for his first retirement? i question your recollection of mario's career as a penguin. the penguins acquired and kept the players that mario wanted, which often weren't the best players, just like what happend with dupuis and kunitz for sid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
weren't you the one who didn't know that lemieux cited the officiating as a reason for his first retirement? i question your recollection of mario's career as a penguin. the penguins acquired and kept the players that mario wanted, which often weren't the best players, just like what happend with dupuis and kunitz for sid.

So are you suggesting that Sid is running the show now? I'm not understanding your angle here other than blaming Lemieux for everything which you do often.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

And then it goes on to say:

Since Morehouse was named President in April, 2007, the Penguins have reshaped their image and strategic vision with an emphasis on branding, fan relations, youth marketing, community interaction, corporate outreach and innovative technology.

and

An emphasis on branding and marketing, coupled with the team’s success on the ice, enabled the Penguins to lead all U.S.-based NHL teams in local television ratings for five straight seasons. In 2012-13, the Penguins’ rating of 12.66 was the highest achieved by any U.S.-based NHL, NBA or MLB team on a regional sports network since 2002. Keeping with that trend, the Penguins rank among the NHL leaders in website traffic and social media followers while continually setting new standards for merchandise sales.

None of which lends any credence to the idea of Morehouse being some kind of puppet master whose hands are in every personnel decision this team's made for the past however many years.

I dunno. I just don't buy it. I realize this team has proven it's capable of some ridiculously absurd incompetence, but if Morehouse was the driving force behind the failure, word would have gotten out by now. Especially after the way this team has crashed and burned over the last 6 years, someone would have come forth and spoken to a credible source.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Maybe, but we know Lemieux was heavily involved in making a political speech writer in charge of the franchise. And since I never heard Clinton or Gore mention anything about minor-league scouting reports, player contracts, or roster management, I'm not sure exactly why and how Morehouse is more qualified than you or I.

TTEOT is right. Sadly, the organization's problems start with the owner. Hopefully this clutching and grabbing, no penalty ******** continues for another year and Mario finally decides he's ready to take his puck and go home, again.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And then it goes on to say:

and

None of which lends any credence to the idea of Morehouse being some kind of puppet master whose hands are in every personnel decision this team's made for the past however many years.

I dunno. I just don't buy it. I realize this team has proven it's capable of some ridiculously absurd incompetence, but if Morehouse was the driving force behind the failure, word would have gotten out by now. Especially after the way this team has crashed and burned over the last 6 years, someone would have come forth and spoken to a credible source.

I doubt he is a driving force behind failure, but I have no doubt that he has a voice in major roster decisions. Let's take the hypothetical Letang trade from two years ago. Say Shero wanted to do the trade from a pure hockey perspective, then Morehouse jumps in and says "yeah but Letang jersey sales are x%, the fans love him, I think we need to consider the dollar impact to our franchise by moving Letang". I don't even know if those things shouldn't be considered. I'm just saying that as CEO, Morehouse certainly does have some say in hockey ops.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Paradoxically the team wouldn't be in Pittsburgh without lemieux either. Tough call.

It's safe to say that Mario saved hockey in this town at least 2 or 3 times. Anybody who denies that, or doesn't appreciate that needs to see a shrink. But that doesn't excuse him for the absolute failures of this team over the last 6 years. Bob Nutting gets crucified in this town, and rightfully so. But Mario and the Rooney's are somehow above all criticism. It's ridiculous

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really don't have any evidence one way or the other on Lemieux and neither does anyone else. We know that Lemieux is loyal and relies on the insights of people close to him to make decisions. Is he letting his loyalty cloud his judgment with this organization? Possibly, maybe even probably but I really doubt he is very involved in the day to day operations of this team. So Lemieux could be part of the overall cultural problem of the team, but he is not a driving force behind bad trades, cap management, etc.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
So are you suggesting that Sid is running the show now? I'm not understanding your angle here other than blaming Lemieux for everything which you do often.

no. i am saying that mario created a country club environment in the nineties that placed a higher priority on croneyism and familiarity than merit which resulted in under achieving. now that he is the owner, he has instituted an organizational mindset that prioritizes who you know over what you actually bring to the table. that permeates all levels of the organization, from the roster, to the coaching staff, to the scouting staff, to draft picks, to the medical staff. the results similarly the underachievement that we have witnessed the past six years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
no. i am saying that mario created a country club environment in the nineties that placed a higher priority on croneyism and familiarity than merit which resulted in under achieving. now that he is the owner, he has instituted an organizational mindset that prioritizes who you know over what you actually bring to the table. that permeates all levels of the organization, from the roster, to the coaching staff, to the scouting staff, to draft picks, to the medical staff. the results similarly the underachievement that we have witnessed the past six years.

Maybe true, maybe not. If true, I would think Burkle will get fed up sooner or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad