Honoring legends from the early years

nina2001

Jul 27, 2015
Larry Aurie was considered by owner James Norris as the heart and soul of the team from 1927 through 1938. His no. 6 jersey was officially retired by owner James Norris after the 1937–38 season. According to Jimmy Devellano the team refuses to hang the number because he was not a Hall of Famer.

Syd Howe was one of the leading scorers of his era and a part of three Stanley Cup championships with the Red Wings. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1965.

Ebbie Goodfellow won three Stanley Cups with the Wings and was the first Red Wing to win the Hart Trophy. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1963.
Can someone explain to me why these players don't have their numbers retired? Is it because it was the early years and their stats don't measure up to today's standards. The HOF argument for Aurie is kind of absurd but the other two are both in there.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Can someone explain to me why these players don't have their numbers retired? Is it because it was the early years and their stats don't measure up to today's standards. The HOF argument for Aurie is kind of absurd but the other two are both in there.

Because the Wings are extreme to the absurd when it comes to number retirements. Red Kelly and Herbie Lewis isnt retired either.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Because if the Ilitch family didn't "adopt" you and you weren't on the Production Line, you're irrelevant as far as the team is concerned.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The wings have the highest standard of jersey retirement in the league, which I like. But its also hard to really gauge guys from that long ago. I mean some of those guys discussed are before the Original 6 era started.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There's really no reason why Aurie, Syd Howe, or Kelly don't receive more acknowledgement. Furthermore, we really should have a team hall of fame to honor guys like Goodfellow, Quackenbush, Black Jack, and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad