GDT: Honoring Greatness: Your New Jersey Devils (38-15-5) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (23-27-10), 7 PM, MSGSN

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
https%3A%2F%2Fpucksandpitchforks.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F2090371-850x560.jpeg

stevens-holds-up-cup.jpg

brodeur-celebrates-with-a-cigar.jpg

The Devils finish their four-game homestand when the Philadelphia Flyers come to town Saturday.
Game time is 7:00 p.m. ET and you can watch on MSGSN or listen on the Devils Hockey Network.
Read our game preview below, including videos, lineup updates and more.

Head-to-Head:

The Devils and Flyers play for the fourth and final time this season. The Flyers have won two of the first three meetings, including a 2-1 victory Dec. 15 at Prudential Center.

Jack Hughes has two goals in the season series while Dawson Mercer (1g-1a), Jesper Bratt (2a) and Miles Wood (2a) have two points. Travis Konecny has four goals against New Jersey this season, while Noah Cates, Kevin Hayes and Tony Deangelo each have three assists.

Devils Team Scope:

The Devils conclude their four-game homestand against Philadelphia. New Jersey is 2-1 so far while also winning seven of its last eight games at home. The Devils rank second in the Metro Division (three points behind Carolina for the top spot).

Forward Dawson Mercer has a career-high five-game goal scoring streak with seven total and nine total points. Center Jack Hughes recorded his 100th career assist Tuesday night to become to the third youngest Devil to reach the milestone. Goaltender Vitek Vanecek has only one regulation loss in the past 15 games (13-1-1).

Flyers Team Scope:

The Flyers sit third from the bottom in the Eastern Conference with only Montreal and Columbus below them. The Flyers are playing the Devils on back-to-back nights having lost, 5-2, against Montreal Friday evening. Philly is 2-6-1 since the All-Star break.

Forward Travis Konecny has a team-best 27 goals, four of which have come against the Devils. He also leads the team in scoring with 54 points. Kevin Hayes is second on the club in goals (17) and points (48) while posting a team-best 31 assists. Tony DeAngelo leads the back end with 34 points (10g-24a).

By the Numbers:

Dawson Mercer has played in 140 consecutive games to start his career, which ties the franchise record (Scott Gomez, 1999-01).

Scott Laughton (7) and Travis Konecny (6) rank first and second, respectively, in the NHL in shorthanded points this season. They are the first Flyers teammates with five-or-more SHP each in a single season since 2010-11 (Claude Giroux, 7; Mike Richards, 6).

Injuries:

Devils:

Bernier (LTIR, hip)
Blackwood (undisclosed)

Flyers:

Atkinson (upper-body, IR)
Couturier (back, IR)
Ellis (groin, hip, back, LTIR)
Laczynski (lower-body, IR)

MacEwen (jaw)

cut.jpg

Your New Jersey Devils Projected Lineup:

#90 Tomas Tatar - #13 Nico Hischier (C) - #91 Dawson Mercer
#17 Yegor Sharangovich - #86 Jack Hughes (A) - #63 Jesper Bratt
#18 Ondrej Palat (A) - #56 Erik Haula - #70 Jesper Boqvist
#44 Miles Wood - #20 Michael McLeod - #49 Fabian Zetterlund

#71 Jonas Siegenthaler - #7 Dougie Hamilton
#33 Ryan Graves - #6 John Marino
#88 Kevin Bahl - #28 Damon Severson

#41 "The" Vitek Vanecek
#40 Akira Schmid

giphy.gif

Philadelphia Flyers Projected Lineup:

#13 Kevin Hayes - #21 Scott Laughton (A) - #57 Wade Allison
#25 James van Riemsdyk - #48 Morgan Frost - #74 Owen Tippett
#62 Olle Lycksell - #49 Noah Cates - #86 Joel Farabee
#44 Nicolas Deslauriers - #38 Patrick Brown - #61 Justin Braun

#9 Ivan Provorov - #6 Travis Sanheim

#45 Cam York - #70 Rasmus Ristolainen
#24 Nick Seeler - #77 Tony DeAngelo

#79 Carter Hart

#33 Samuel Ersson

gordon-ramsey.gif

LFGD

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I was at the Flyers Montreal game last night and my god the Flyers are terrible. We need to really crush them.

I also hope everyone enjoys what I've done for Provorov in the lineup. Because f*** that guy. You'll at least be wearing the colors in my GDT!

There was actually a smattering of boos for him when he was announced in their starting lineup. I was there as my gf’s guest in a corporate suite so I had to behave myself or I would have been booing at the top of my lungs.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Man, I wasn't deep into hockey yet in 2003; growing up without Sportschannel but nevertheless knowing I preferred the Devils over the Rangers meant most of my NHL exposure only really happened around playoff time.

But I absolutely do remember a lot about the '03 Final thanks to it happening at the same time I was graduating high school. Even remember a friend and I having a joint graduation party at Redd's in Carlstadt and a handful of us running towards the TV over the bar because they were showing the game. Hard not to attach extra importance to a sports moment like that when it lines up with a major life moment.

Almost forgot the epic Game 7 intro from ABC!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
new-jersey-devils-grant-marshall-scores-the-winning-goal-past-tampa-bay-lightning-goalie-john-grahame-l-in-the-third-overtime-to-beat-the-tampa-bay-lightning-in-game-5-of-their-eastern-conference-semi-final-playoff-series-in-east-rutherford-new-jersey-may-2-2003-the-devils-clinched-the-series-four-games-to-one-and-move-on-in-the-playoffs-reutersshannon-stapleton-ssgac-2CJR45F.jpg

1677333050632.png

Going to keep clogging 03 material on to the first page of this one. I already mentioned in the team thread this is my favorite goal from that run just because I was there. My always fun fact is that I used to walk over to the entrance the team came out from in between the benches as a kid if I could and in between the first and second OT, only one player high fived me. It was Grant Marshall. Clearly gave him the magic touch. :laugh:

Correct me if I’m wrong, that was his first ever playoff goal in like 60 something contests I believe? Or did he have one earlier in the series?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Going to my first game since The Before Covid Times! Honestly I'm just too lazy to make the commute from Brooklyn otherwise. My couch is comfy.

Uncle / Loving Son / Cool Brother-in-Law None Shall Pass came through with tickets to this game (And shirts or hoodies) as Christmas presents, so my nephews, niece, Mom, and sister-in-law will all be going to their first hockey game tonight. My Mom finally started watching the Devils this year and now texts me all game every game. It's sweet.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
Going to my first game since The Before Covid Times! Honestly I'm just too lazy to make the commute from Brooklyn otherwise. My couch is comfy.

Uncle / Loving Son / Cool Brother-in-Law None Shall Pass came through with tickets to this game (And shirts or hoodies) as Christmas presents, so my nephews, niece, Mom, and sister-in-law will all be going to their first hockey game tonight. My Mom finally started watching the Devils this year and now texts me all game every game. It's sweet.
awesome enjoy,,,, this one should hopefully be like taking a kid fishing for sunfish his first time out.
win

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad