Honest question to all Americans used to live or living right now in metric countries

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
50 km = 30-45 minutes
100 km = 60-75 minutes
Etc.
It feels fake, sorry.

Imperial feels more like a unit based upon life experience -- you know, things you can see, smell and touch. Metric feels like it rolls out of an algebra function. Works on paper but give me the Imperial in practice. As a highly educated American I'll stick with the Imperial thank you very much.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The metric system is one of the dumbest things that foreigners make fun of Americans about, posting that map where it's only us and like Burma or someplace who are still officially on imperial units as if it makes us backwards and incapable of science.

But you realize that when we buy a box of graham crackers at the supermarket both units are printed on it, right? It says 12 oz (340g) on the box. The speedometer on our cars have markings for MPH and KmPH. Every schoolchild who has taken a science class knows how the metric system works. College-level (and beyond) science and engineering courses and all professional work in those fields will use metric in practice, etc. It's just in everyday things where we use imperial, I say I'm 6 feet tall, not 182 cm, we buy cheese by the pound and gas by the gallon. The criticism just comes from a place of pseudo-intellectual snobbery.

Another thing, people get worked up over how Celsius is supposedly better because it hinges on the freezing point and boiling point of water as 0 and 100, but for actually trying to figure out the weather outside, Fahrenheit is just easier because there are decimal benchmarks. 70 is nice, 80 is warm, 90 is hot, 100 is friggin' hot. I've met people who have worked in Europe and say that after a while you get used to it and can peg their numbers to fahrenheit numbers, but can't imagine trying to conceptualize a weather report that says it's 27.2 degrees out.

Reactions: Richard

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The metric system is one of the dumbest things that foreigners make fun of Americans about, posting that map where it's only us and like Burma or someplace who are still officially on imperial units as if it makes us backwards and incapable of science.

But you realize that when we buy a box of graham crackers at the supermarket both units are printed on it, right? It says 12 oz (340g) on the box. The speedometer on our cars have markings for MPH and KmPH. Every schoolchild who has taken a science class knows how the metric system works. College-level (and beyond) science and engineering courses and all professional work in those fields will use metric in practice, etc. It's just in everyday things where we use imperial, I say I'm 6 feet tall, not 182 cm, we buy cheese by the pound and gas by the gallon. The criticism just comes from a place of pseudo-intellectual snobbery.

Another thing, people get worked up over how Celsius is supposedly better because it hinges on the freezing point and boiling point of water as 0 and 100, but for actually trying to figure out the weather outside, Fahrenheit is just easier because there are decimal benchmarks. 70 is nice, 80 is warm, 90 is hot, 100 is friggin' hot. I've met people who have worked in Europe and say that after a while you get used to it and can peg their numbers to fahrenheit numbers, but can't imagine trying to conceptualize a weather report that says it's 27.2 degrees out.
Honestly, you don't need temperatures to be "that" precise. Whether it's 71, 72 or 73 (F) outside won't change anything.

From a practicality standpoint, both have their pros, and to me it just comes to what you grew up with. 0F is freezing cold, and 100F is friggin' hot as you said, and 50F is comfy. It's not hard to conceptualize, even if you can go over those values, obviously. As a Canadian, I'm used to the -30C (very cold) to 0C (comfy for me) and +30C (very hot) logic. I prefer inches and feet to describe people's height - even if it's less precise than using metric units (kinda like that celsius vs fahrenheit thingy). With other measurements (distances, sizes, etc.), it's much easier to conceptualize with what you grew with - there isn't one that is more practical than the other in every day life. People who grew up in the metric system know how long a meter is and have their own references, people who grew up with imperial have theirs too. The subunits in the imperial systems are just objectively annoying and not easy to work with though (1 mile = 1760 yards, 1 yard = 3 feet, 1 foot = 12 inches vs 1 km = 1000 m, 1 m = 100 cm, etc.), but it's not like it's that important in everyday life (you won't have to convert 100 miles to feet, just like you won't have to convert 100 km to cm).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No one uses imperial
Let alone not using metric,
the USA doesn’t even use imperial in volume.
Their quarts , gallons are not even imperial,
Their quarts and gallons are smaller for some weird reason

On September 23, 1999, NASA’s $125 million Mars Climate Orbiter (MCO) crashed into the red planet. That wasn’t supposed to happen, naturally. But after an investigation NASA finally figured out what had gone so horribly wrong. A piece of software had calculated the force of the thrusters in imperial measurements when it should’ve been in metric.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad