Honduran Girl Loves Ice Hockey

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
Hello Everyone!

I’m a Honduran Girl that really loves Ice Hockey. Currently I live in NYC, near World Ice Arena. I want to play professionally or at least semi-professionally.

Currently money is a barrier, having to pay per session Stick and Puck as well as Public Skating Session… I’m Unemployed :(

My long term goal is to play for Japanese Leagues.

My Skating Level is Intermediate, despite not being too active in the rink due to financial issues.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to play ice hockey consistently without having to cough up too much money per week?

Many Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Hello Everyone!

I’m a Honduran Girl that really loves Ice Hockey. Currently I live in NYC, near World Ice Arena. I want to play professionally or at least semi-professionally.

Currently money is a barrier, having to pay per session Stick and Puck as well as Public Skating Session… I’m Unemployed :(

My Skating Level is Intermediate, despite not being too active in the rink due to financial issues.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to play ice hockey consistently without having to cough up too much money per week?

Many Thanks!
PHF is no longer active...

Last edited:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Sadly the PHF is no more. Everyone is waiting on where the new women's league will land its teams.

• Wow
Reactions: Rigafan

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
What?! But the PHF just got started…. I know it was NWHL then changed to PHF and just with Montreal Force joining the league recently; it’s already over? Blast!

And I just contacted them this morning…

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Hello Everyone!

Many Thanks!
How's the job search coming along?

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
How's the job search coming along?
Not good… Terrible. My last interview for waitress went well, they said in one week I would hear back… They haven’t reached out to me… I followed up and they were like “who’s this?” I gave my name; no reply…

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Not good… Terrible. My last interview for waitress went well, they said in one week I would hear back… They haven’t reached out to me… I followed up and they were like “who’s this?” I gave my name; no reply…
Bummer. I would think job are plentiful in NYC. I worked in midtown many years and 2 lifetimes ago

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
Any ideas left? I don’t know where to go from here… I am willing to go abroad if that’s what’s going to take to get me on the ice.

Not sure what to Google…

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With U.S. pro women's hockey stalled, you should be looking at other options. Just be aware that some if not all hockey leagues in other countries have restrictions on the number of "import" players allowed per team, which will reduce your opportunities. In other words: Don't abandon the waitressing job search quite yet ...

• European Women's Hockey League (EWHL) ... Organization - EWHL - European Women's Hockey League

• New Zealand Women's Ice Hockey League (NZWIHL) ... Contact - Official NZWIHL Website - New Zealand Women's Ice Hockey League

• Ice Hockey Australia (IHA) ... Contact - Ice Hockey Australia

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
With U.S. pro women's hockey stalled, you should be looking at other options. Just be aware that some if not all hockey leagues in other countries have restrictions on the number of "import" players allowed per team, which will reduce your opportunities. In other words: Don't abandon the waitressing job search quite yet ...

• European Women's Hockey League (EWHL) ... Organization - EWHL - European Women's Hockey League

• New Zealand Women's Ice Hockey League (NZWIHL) ... Contact - Official NZWIHL Website - New Zealand Women's Ice Hockey League

Oscar Madison " Not in other words. Those are the perfect ones"

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023

I have contacted all 3 leagues. Now Good Luck To Me!

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
I have to hand to any hockey enthusiast who lives in a place that's not known for hockey. I live in the Florida Keys and absolutely no one here cares at all, thankfully I'm getting out of here in a couple of months.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I have to hand to any hockey enthusiast who lives in a place that's not known for hockey. I live in the Florida Keys and absolutely no one here cares at all, thankfully I'm getting out of here in a couple of months.
Where are you going?

Ever visit Hemmingway's house?

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
If you're considering playing in Europe, maybe look up if there is any nationality you could get relatively easily due to heritage. I've met a few Latinos who moved here and were able to get one that way (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Hungarian...). Usually doing it in the country is a lot easier and if it has a national team playing a WC tournament then there is some organised women's hockey played there.

Once you get it, you won't have to worry as much about visas here and it may open other opportunities you wouldn't have considered before.

Reactions: JMCx4

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
As a hockey fan who did my time in Florida I sympathize with the isolation, but why "thankfully"? The keys are Florida's best kept secret! (Other than Largo and West)

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
If you're considering playing in Europe, maybe look up if there is any nationality you could get relatively easily due to heritage. I've met a few Latinos who moved here and were able to get one that way (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Hungarian...). Usually doing it in the country is a lot easier and if it has a national team playing a WC tournament then there is some organised women's hockey played there.

Once you get it, you won't have to worry as much about visas here and it may open other opportunities you wouldn't have considered before.
Okay, will give it a shot. But first let me post my updates, these past 2 weeks I heeded advice from someone here telling me to go to Australia and New Zealand; I believe… the following was the result of attempts:

1. New Zealand: No Response
2. Australia: Told me to go to my local country (USA)

I contact USA Hockey; they redirected me to NYSAHA. NYSAHA tells me to contact Local Adult Hockey Teams; I do that; then they direct me to sign up as a free agent also I had to get a USA membership ID to participate. Now everything is on Stand By. The NYSAHA administrator told me that Amateur Leagues don’t get paid, I have to pay to play… also it’s not guaranteed I will be contacted by a team at this point because too little too late; I only found out too late about all this…

What are your thoughts on all this? Any solutions? I will need a lead on Spain Ice Hockey; I could Google, but I won’t know which link to click…

Thank you all for trying to help me! 🥰

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Okay, will give it a shot. But first let me post my updates, these past 2 weeks I heeded advice from someone here telling me to go to Australia and New Zealand; I believe… the following was the result of attempts:

1. New Zealand: No Response
2. Australia: Told me to go to my local country (USA)

I contact USA Hockey; they redirected me to NYSAHA. NYSAHA tells me to contact Local Adult Hockey Teams; I do that; then they direct me to sign up as a free agent also I had to get a USA membership ID to participate. Now everything is on Stand By. The NYSAHA administrator told me that Amateur Leagues don’t get paid, I have to pay to play… also it’s not guaranteed I will be contacted by a team at this point because too little too late; I only found out too late about all this…

What are your thoughts on all this? Any solutions? I will need a lead on Spain Ice Hockey; I could Google, but I won’t know which link to click…

Thank you all for trying to help me! 🥰

I mean, what do you expect? Of course you are going to have to pay the play. Nobody is going to pay you to play unless you are the top 1% in the world, and clearly you aren't. If you want to play so bad just sign up to a local adult league. Yes it's mostly men but there is usually a few females and it's non-checking.

Reactions: dm8895

AthleteQueen

Aug 8, 2023
unless you are the top 1% in the world, and clearly you aren't.
Now how do I do that? Without having to spend a grand amount of money? I can rehearse my moves off ice. And thank goodness winter is upon us, FREE ICE SKATING IN BRYANT PARK, YAAAY! 🎇 🎉

Many say I am a quick learner on the ice.
I know I have talent on this sport, just needs a little bit of development and Bingo!

Thanks for the advice!

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Well, it's more like throwing ideas out there and see what sticks.

Back to the bad news.

To play organised hockey, you have to pay for a license from the national association running the sport. It is a prerequisite anywhere in the world so not much you can do about it. You can also add club membership to it.

The huge majority of women's leagues around the globe would be amateur and teams are often financed by the players themselves and other club members, with some online fundraising as well, like the one ran by one of Austria's top teams at the moment (Ohne Unterstützung, schaffen wir es nicht. - I Believe in You). So getting paid to get on the ice is hardly an option and having a regular job is pretty much mandatory.

About your enquiries Down Under. As you're not there, they're pretty much kicking the bucket down the road. You would need to have already emigrated there for them helping you find a team. You are very likely to get similar answer from most associations/clubs. As for New Zealand, the very short season just finished about 2 weeks ago so I doubt you gonna get a worthwhile answer from that end.

In short, if you want to try out something abroad, you will need to take a gamble and emigrate first. Hoping to get help from a local hockey community first is more likely to be a waste of your time.

It is indeed a bit late to find a spot back home for this season but keep asking around. There can always be an opening at some point.

As for Spain. Hockey is run by the national ice sports association. They have a 7-team women's league with clubs based around Madrid and the provinces bordering France. There are a few more clubs around the country but those would be the main ones.

Regular season starts at the end of this month and run until the end of January, followed by playoffs from mid-February for a month. The club season concludes with the Copa del Reina, a knockout tournament. Keep an eye on their YouTube channel as they stream some, if not all, games. You'll be able to get an idea of the level of play.

Some Spanish hockey news sites

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad