GDT: Honda Presents Honda West Division @ Honda Center: Honda Avs @ Honda Ducks | 8 PM MT

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Makar and Landeskog had a 2-on-0 on Gibson, which is a situation you really hope to have in OT, and you just have to go for it even at the risk of losing the possession of the puck after a rebound.

I guess you could argue that Landeskog could've been more patient instead of going for a wrap around which doesn't often result in a goal, but he scored so there's nothing to really complain about.
Not contesting that you take your chances on a odd man rush.

But that’s not what we do. We go crazy trying to score right away on a 2 on 2 or something.

We need to learn to keep the puck, exhaust the defense while we make line changes with puck control and then strike when they are gased. We have the skill to run circles around other teams, why don’t we do that?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Look how long Nathans stick is. Thats why he cant win a draw in this league lol. The centreman who win faceoffs all use a shorter stick. This is why Yannick Perrault was nearly 70% career on the dots. Also, this is why Tyson Jost cant win a draw and struggles along the boards to win a puck. Tyson Jost long stick is only effective on the PK and thats the only time he should use it. For his sake he really should use a shorter stick.
Speaking of Jost and the PK, I thought he did a great job there last night. A couple of nice takeaways and reads.

The only blot on him is that tripping call that gave Anaheim a 5-on-3, but that call was really soft and Jost has our best penalties for/against differential overall so he can get some leeway there.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Not contesting that you take your chances on a odd man rush.

But that’s not what we do. We go crazy trying to score right away on a 2 on 2 or something.

We need to learn to keep the puck, exhaust the defense while we make line changes with puck control and then strike when they are gased. We have the skill to run circles around other teams, why don’t we do that?
Completely agree with you. For some reason our guys always seem to want to force a play in OT, instead of just circling and holding onto the puck.

Part of the problem is that Makar and Mackinnon are extremely direct and high-octane guys who just want to push the play up ice all the time, which is the opposite of what you want to to in OT.

Girard and Byram are both pretty cerebral players who like to circle around until they see an opening, so perhaps the solution is to lean on them a bit more in OT.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
To be fair to him he was paired with Pateryn much of the time. Pair him with one of Timmins or EJ on the bottom pairing and he'd likely be better as he wouldn't have the onus on him to move the puck.
Both the goals that were his fault last night were his own doing. First goal Girard was out there with him. Graves saw the forecheck coming on that first goal and instead of chipping it to the corner or rimming it along the boards he did nothing. His forwards were no better on that goal as all of them were puck watching. Not a single forward looked over their shoulder to pick up Lindholm. Saad and Kadri both playing statues on that goal.

Second goal he pinches for no reason. He did it twice on that shift. The first time he barely got away with and the second time he gets burned because Kadri flails on the side boards. This is right after the Avs went up a goal. There is no reason whatsoever for him to pinch in that moment of the game. Pateryn played the 2 on 1 like a bantam player. He had one job to do and its to take that pass away and he stood there doing his best Zanon.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Speaking of Jost and the PK, I thought he did a great job there last night. A couple of nice takeaways and reads.

The only blot on him is that tripping call that gave Anaheim a 5-on-3, but that call was really soft and Jost has our best penalties for/against differential overall so he can get some leeway there.
I like him on the PK but he needs to stop taking penalties.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I one million percent agree, but Hawk fans were warning about this from him the day of the trade.
I'm not concerned. He's proven during the playoffs he shows up. It sucks that he is what he is during the regular season, but I'll reserve judgement until the playoffs. If he still sucks, then I'll join the **** Saad bandwagon.

Reactions: S E P H

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Both the goals that were his fault last night were his own doing. First goal Girard was out there with him. Graves saw the forecheck coming on that first goal and instead of chipping it to the corner or rimming it along the boards he did nothing. His forwards were no better on that goal as all of them were puck watching. Not a single forward looked over their shoulder to pick up Lindholm. Saad and Kadri both playing statues on that goal.

Second goal he pinches for no reason. He did it twice on that shift. The first time he barely got away with and the second time he gets burned because Kadri flails on the side boards. This is right after the Avs went up a goal. There is no reason whatsoever for him to pinch in that moment of the game. Pateryn played the 2 on 1 like a bantam player. He had one job to do and its to take that pass away and he stood there doing his best Zanon.

with Byram, Toews, Girard and Makar there is no need for him to pinch....ever

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There’s a lot of weird things going on with good players being rusty to start the year. A short training camp with no preseason probably doesn’t help. That’s what gives me some hope with Kadri and Saad.

That being said, if those guys, more so Kadri don’t raise their level of play pretty significantly the Avs are going to have a real hard time. They have a hole at 3C and potentially 4C too. They need Kadri to show up.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There’s a lot of weird things going on with good players being rusty to start the year. A short training camp with no preseason probably doesn’t help.

That’s what gives me some hope with Kadri and Saad. That being said, if those guys, more so Kadri don’t raise their level of play pretty significantly the Avs are going to have a real hard time. They have a hole at 3C and potentially 4C too. They need Kadri to show up.

First name that came to mind...Elias Pettersson

I'll also add that Kadri is damn lucky hes not playing in Toronto because if he started this way there he would have been destroyed by the press and probably featured on Tim & Sids show.

Reactions: Balthazar

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
One line team... :laugh:

COL

It's pretty insane how Byram has made the impact he has as a 19 year old. No wonder he's quickly earning more ice time from Bednar as both the eye test and analytics show that he's been nothing less than superb.

No surprise to see our "3rd" line where they are, they've been awful. Easy to see in analytics why Timmins and Kaut got short leashes too.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Did Kaut get injured last night? Don't recall seeing him at all. He was on the 4th wish they'd give him a better opportunity.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
So how do we dump our entire 3rd line?
I don't think the entire line necessarily has to be dumped.

The Kadri/Saad combo doesn't seem to work so well, but Nichuskin-Kadri-Burakovsky does, so keep that line intact and move Saad to the 3rd line to start with.

Compher needs to be the one receiving the puck at speed while skating up the right wing, and not the guy at center ice responsible for running the transition through the middle. Compher isn't a bad player, he's just being asked to play a role that is the anti-thesis of his actual strengths.

We clearly need a 3C for that line to work. Compher isn't the answer. Jost isn't the answer. Namestnikov wasn't the answer. Bellemare isn't the answer.

Newhook might be the solution this season for the playoffs, but that depends on how ready Sakic thinks he is, and also on his willingness to burn an ELC year. I'd be wary of putting all our eggs in the Newhook basket though as far as 3C is concerned, because if it turns out that he's not ready then we're stuck with Compher at 3C for the playoffs which isn't ideal.

I would much rather see Sakic acquire a 3C before the deadline regardless of whether or not Newhook is ready, and then just move that guy to 4C if Newhook pulls a Makar, as that would safeguard against the possibility that Newhook isn't ready to be a 3C right off the bat this year. I do think that a line of Saad-Newhook-Compher could be quite effective though, as there's a good combination of speed, skill, and net-front presence between that trio, and all 3 of them would be playing in their best positions.

Whatever the case, one way or another Sakic really needs to find a way to acquire a two-way center who can transition the puck and distribute the puck to the wingers better than Compher does. Until he does, that line is going to be an inconsistent and anonymous mess on the ice because they simply won't be effective at moving the puck.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Saad --------------- 3C ---------- Compher/Donskoi
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Jost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad