Homerism in "three stars" picks

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If visiting players were forced to go out on the ice after they are announced as a star I would love to see them get it more often :D I could get a few last Boooos out

Brainstrained

Dec 7, 2011
Northeastern Ontario
I don't disagree there seems to be a touch of homerism in the three star selection, but I don't think in this case it was very extreme.

I think we've seem far worse in other cities. And it probably comes down to whomever does the selection. Does anyone know who does the selection at home games?

Anyways, Tavares played well for part of the game, but he wasn't the Islanders' best player, Nabokov was. He kept his team in it for the first 40 minutes when Tavares was still sleeping, and still played well for the last 23 minutes.

If it had been my decision, he would have been 3rd star.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
While I agree there may be an element of homerism, Tavarez' 3 points were pretty fortunate. And he seemed to be on the ice alot for our goals. The Isles really didn't generate much offense outside of 12minutes of the third period.

Kane and Burmistrov were likely the two best players on the ice tonight. Antro played well, but not deserving of a star.

edit: Tavarez was a -1 tonight

Noel called Kane "ok".

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
It's just a novelty. Not like Crosby was sitting in the dressing room waiting for his name to be called, and started crying when it wasn't.

edit: or maybe he was :sarcasm:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Tavares was directly responsible for Burmis goal which tied it up. He played it like Burmi would drop pass to buff. If Burmi had, Tavares had a breakaway. Instead Burmi was able to walk into the slot and tie it up.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Other than eating a couple free pizzas, Tavares wasn't great. The Jets dominated 55 minutes of the game. I thought Byfuglien deserved a star over Antropov.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Other than eating a couple free pizzas, Tavares wasn't great. The Jets dominated 55 minutes of the game. I thought Byfuglien deserved a star over Antropov.

Completely agree. Tavares had three points and was minus one for the game. I think that says it all for him.

Buff provided a lot of stability and got an important goal (I suppose they all were). Would've been very deserving of a star.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm just scared that when Tavares hits free agency, he's going to remember that we didn't give him a star and write us off before the team even makes an offer :sarcasm:

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
If visiting players were forced to go out on the ice after they are announced as a star I would love to see them get it more often :D I could get a few last Boooos out

except for when Teemu gets a star right... then it's one last chance to cheer... LOUDLY. too bad CBC didn't show that in their broadcast last year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Do the 3 stars affect anything? I mean if it doesn't why not let the home fans cheer their players some more

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I don't have a problem with tonight's selection, but snubbing Crosby when he scored two goals (the only ones by his team) did bother me a bit.
Why though? Neither of his goals was spectacular by any means.

Goal 1: It bounced off the top of Pavs' pad and in.

Goal 2: Was a light backhander through Pav's legs.

Again, neither of the goals was highlight worthy, the rest of the game Crosby was almost invisible, except during the "Mario's Poolboy" chants and booing.

Personally Malkin played one hell of a game, that kid has skill. Though Pavs did rob him a few times, I thought he played better than Crosby.

Tavares, aside from his goal (which was a giveaway by Engstrom), he didn't play all that good. Yeah he had 3 points, but that was a matter of him touching the puck first before it eventually made it to the goalscorer.

It was nothing like the play Antro setup with Little burying the goal.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad