Homer calls at the ACC....

Mr. Grieves

Feb 20, 2007
Winnipeg
It seems like a common perception from other team fans that the leafs get a lot of homer calls at the ACC....

Well lets look at the statistics.

Home Games:
GP:31
PPs: 93
PPs/per game: 3.0

Away Games:
GP:26
PPs: 92
PPs/per game: 3.54

So we actually get more power-plays on the road than we do at home.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
we don't get homer calls anywhere. The only 'homer' looking call I've probably seen all year going the leafs way was the Kadri not getting a penalty for his hit last night.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Only homer call I can remember was earlier this year when Perry got called for boarding even though he barely touched Phaneuf. Turned that game on its head too.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bad calls go against us all the time, not that fans of other team's would ever take notice? That horrific goaltender interference call on JVR against NJ, meanwhile Malkin was allowed to pitchfork Bernier into the net to score a "legal" goal for the Penguins. Or what about the fact that two times in two weeks, we got penalties called against us after the play was blown dead on an offside? :laugh:

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
In general fans use refs as an excuse way too much. Seems like half the gdt or post games in close games have the losing team complaining about calls.

Sometimes refs are to blame (kadri hit, jvr 'interference', malkin goal) but it's overkill on here. Just give credit to the other team for playing better.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Only homer call I can remember was earlier this year when Perry got called for boarding even though he barely touched Phaneuf. Turned that game on its head too.

Ya that call was horrible

One thing i've noticed this season - we've had like 4 or 5 legitimate goals disallowed for phantom calls (mostly at home) but have never had any legit goals from the other team disallowed

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I'll do your stats one better -

Toronto is ranked 20th in PP opportunities at home. Detroit, Montreal and Ottawa all have more PP opportunities at home than the Leafs do and all have played less home games than the Leafs so far this season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It seems like a common perception from other team fans that the leafs get a lot of homer calls at the ACC....

Well lets look at the statistics.

Home Games:
GP:31
PPs: 93
PPs/per game: 3.0

Away Games:
GP:26
PPs: 92
PPs/per game: 3.54

So we actually get more power-plays on the road than we do at home.

I don't think this justifies your claim. I think it is when the penalties are called is the issue in relation to homer calls.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
I don't think this justifies your claim. I think it is when the penalties are called is the issue in relation to homer calls.

Agreed. I think we get the benefit of the doubt on close calls at home. I also think every team does. It's called home I've advantage and most teams play for it.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

But you people say the refs clearly win the Leafs games at home and yet the Leafs actually get less penalties at home

Another common thing is to say **** like "the stereotypical leafs 5 on 3 that the always get" when the Leafs have 5 of them all season which is near the bottom of the league.

Another thing while we're on the topic of Ottawa... they have committed the most penalties on the road in the NHL. They don't get penalties because the refs love the Leafs and they're playing in Toronto, they get penalties because they suck and always take penalties.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

You're right, it doesn't really get to the heart of the issue but it's still a stupid conspiracy for people to use an excuse for their team's loss. In the past two games alone - home team gets a tripping penalty because the Sens player stepped on the puck and fell. Against the Panthers, Bozak was slew footed and the guy who was guilty of it ended up skating into the zone and scoring a goal that was allowed to remain. **** happens to all teams so it seems pretty delusional when people try turn disappointment into a conversation about being us against the rest of the world.

It's one thing to say 'man the refs were bad tonight'...it's a whole other level to say 'damn, this team always gets the calls, it's like the refs are in their back pocket'. The latter is just plain stupid.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
It's just become an crutch for opposing fanbases when they lose. Rather than admit that the Leafs were a better team than them that night, they just recycle the old "can't win when the refs are in the Leafs' pocket". Certain fanbases (*cough* *Ottawa/Montreal* *cough*) seem to use it a lot more often, likely because there's added insult to being defeated by a bitter rival.

I mentioned it in another thread; we're 8th in Times Short-Handed and 18th in PP Opportunities...if the refs are really on our payroll, then Leiwicke should fire their *****.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
These things always have a way of balancing out. So many other teams fans hate the Leafs so much that they'll look for any excuse or scapegoat in order to determine why their team lost, and usually that's the refs who get the blame. When 9/10 it's just that their team made to many mistakes or didn't capitalize on special teams. Rarely are games decided by the Refs or the guys upstairs, cause again these situations have a way of balancing out.

I mean yesterdays game was a perfect example. No call on Kadri for a questionable boarding call which lead to Lupul scoring a tying goal. Then afterwords, no call on Smith for roughing Kadri. And then later on no call on Neil for interfering on Lupul and knocking him down which led to the Sens goal to tie it 3-3 pretty late.

Opposing fans rarely give credit to the other team for causing turnovers or drawing penalties and vice versa they don't take accountability most times for their own team making mistakes.

All fans do it and Leaf fans do to. Just the name of the game.

Delicious Dangles*

Wait... Wait. Hold on. Lmao.

People actually think the LEAFS get homer calls?

:laugh:

Oh god, I'm dying of laughter.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
What about PK road/home? Not arguing obviously I just dont know where to go to look at the stats lol

Leafs are ranked 15th in PK time on home ice. Leafs are ranked 25th on the road.

Here's a breakdown to PP and PK for our division:

Home:
Leafs - 93:89
Bruins - 84:102
Sabres - 90:90
Red Wings - 113:104
Habs - 100:98
Sens -95:102
Lightning - 87:89
Panthers - 72:77

Road
Leafs - 92:106
Bruins -72:78
Sabres - 80:81
Red Wings - 80:104
Habs - 91:93
Sens -93:107
Lightning - 95:100
Panthers - 109:93

When I got to the Leafs site, I go to stats and there is an option for 'team stat comparison'. Go there and you'll get basic team comparisons like W/L/W%/GF/GA.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
short handed 89 times at home in 31 games 106 times shorthanded on the road in 26 games

penalties per game

Home: 2.87
Road: 4.07

looks like we take a lot more penalties on the road then at home, not sure why you only uses times on the powerplay as the only statistic on this subject, you probably looked at this stat and choose to ignore it since it definitely doesn't support your view point.

however in General there is no homer calls anywhere. the ref's if they were gonna give certain teams homer calls so to speak would also do it just as much on the road. we don't have a different set of ref's because were at home vs away.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Ya that call was horrible

One thing i've noticed this season - we've had like 4 or 5 legitimate goals disallowed for phantom calls (mostly at home) but have never had any legit goals from the other team disallowed

We got one against the Rangers earlier this year.

Definitely in the 'negative' in that column though. We've had more gripes for goals taken back than breaks the other way.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Leafs are ranked 15th in PK time on home ice. Leafs are ranked 25th on the road.

Here's a breakdown to PP and PK for our division:

Home:
Leafs - 93:89
Bruins - 84:102
Sabres - 90:90
Red Wings - 113:104
Habs - 100:98
Sens -95:102
Lightning - 87:89
Panthers - 72:77

Road
Leafs - 92:106
Bruins -72:78
Sabres - 80:81
Red Wings - 80:104
Habs - 91:93
Sens -93:107
Lightning - 95:100
Panthers - 109:93

When I got to the Leafs site, I go to stats and there is an option for 'team stat comparison'. Go there and you'll get basic team comparisons like W/L/W%/GF/GA.

according to NHL.com the leafs PK and PP time are as follows

Home:
PP Time:155.34
PK Time: 145.28
Difference: 10:06

Road:
PP Time: 157:52
PK Time: 182.87
Difference: -24.35

so not sure where the difference in the numbers are, are you doing a comparison in games between only divisional rivals?

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

Home:

Road:

so not sure where the difference in the numbers are, are you doing a comparison in games between only divisional rivals?

You posted time (i.e., 157 minutes, 52 seconds) and the other guy posted times (i.e, 89 times short handed)

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
No need for stats. Anyone who complains about refs is making excuses.

The only exception is coaches, its their job and the majority of the time its a mind game.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Home:

Road:

Oh my stats were taken from the stats comparisons page. I wasn't comparing minutes,
I was comparing times with the man advantage:times short handed.

I was just using examples to show how the Leafs numbers stack up. I just decided to use divisional rivals...wasn't trying to make any particular type of comparison to the rest of the division.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fans of other teams call Hughson, Simpson and Healy Leaf Homers too so..,.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad