Post-Game Talk: Holy.... Whatever that Was, Batman - Isles 5, Leafs 4 (OT)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bernier had an awful night. But the turnovers in front of him were even worst, basically gave the Islanders 3 goals because of them.

Crappy night but at least the offence bailed out the terrible defense and goaltending. A point when we play this bad is better then nothing.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Bernier had an awful night. But the turnovers in front of him were even worst, basically gave the Islanders 3 goals because of them.

Crappy night but at least the offence bailed out the terrible defense and goaltending. A point when we play this bad is better then nothing.

gardiner just might have played his way into play on march 5th ......he looks tight ,hes got talents but carlyle was looked very upset after the third and 4th giveaways , he just looks lost

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Oh boy, I'm gonna watch the game later today as I missed it live. Not looking forward to it. :D

Wasn't THAT bad. If you remove all the giveaways, it was a pretty decent game. Top line's still producing, secondary scoring, scoring from our D-men. Pretty good offensive game.

Kind of like many losses if you ignore the brainfarts it doesn't look bad.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
this "swarm" style defense is not working. I wish we could play man-on-man. 3 guys covering one Islander in the corner in OT leaving the slot wide open. Brutal hockey

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Whatevs. Got a point and move along. Rust was expected after that break.

Not concerned, I think we'll get back to the way we were playing prior to the break.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There were times when this team was running around in their defensive zone, it would have been very apt of sportsnet to play the Benny Hill theme over it. Just dumb defending. Do these guys not know where they have to be in their zone, or when they make a switch in coverage with another player?

That theme would be quite fitting.

On the Isles tying goal with just a few minutes left saw Phaneuf out at the point pressuring the NYI point man while Anders Lee (his real responsibility) was alone in front of the net.

Under what system does protecting a lead and defending in your own zone give defensive responsibility to your Dmen to cover the points?

bobbyt911

Defense left Bernier out to dry, goals all off give aways just brutal stuff.

2 of the goals were all on Bernier:laugh: last nights game was one you just gotta laugh at:laugh: Its like everyone wanted to get in Carlyle's dog house. Gardiner helped the Isles more than the Leafs ffs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
neither team played anything resembling organized hockey, it looked more like a game of shinny

the refereeing was as sloppy as I've seen it all year as well

all round entertainment value of 3/10..it was as frustrating a game as I've seen for awhile

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Not concerned, I think we'll get back to the way we were playing prior to the break.

exactly.

I will gladly wear my "Daisy is too Soft on the Team" hat here - but let's just take a moment to stop and think about things for a moment. Everyone anticipated the Leafs to be flat for this game. [which - even with the pace of the game they were].

Then when it happens it's "Oh my god, Bernier sucks!" "Oh my God our defense is horrid!" [okay, that one kind of is :laugh:], it's just a bouquet of OMGs here freaking out.

Just looking at a lot of the games last night - it was a massive slopfest all over the league. Detroit hammered Ottawa, SJ hammered Philadelphia, no one in Montreal and Pittsburgh knew what 'defense' was, I think the only game that featured Eastern Conference teams that was under 3 goals was the Tampa/Nashville game. (which Nashville won, thank you).

And I always have to raise my eyebrow when people at this time of year go "well Weak Team A, B, and C" should be easy points. Hello - we were the weak team for seven years, and how many AMAZING Marches did we have? These teams have nothing to play for now, and a lot of these players have jobs to fight for - they're called spoilers for a reason. It drives me nuts. It doesn't matter if they have x amount of points or y amount of talent. weaker teams scare me more than teams that are 'clear' above us/equal to us, because they have to work twice as hard to be half as good - and especially around this time of year, it can burn you. Give the Islanders some credit. [and Buffalo/Florida too].

At any rate - everyone on the team was sloppy, but i'm colouring it rust. Everytime we lose, we should be hoping/thankful for a point which we got. Now the team has a game under their belts, practice today, fly to Montreal tonight, and beat Montreal and be 1 point behind then, and 2 ahead of Tampa. I don't know what the magic 'clinch' number is, but I know the boys will hit it. It will just be rollarcoastery :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
neither team played anything resembling organized hockey, it looked more like a game of shinny

the refereeing was as sloppy as I've seen it all year as well

all round entertainment value of 3/10..it was as frustrating a game as I've seen for awhile

The injury riddled Isles were playing 1/2 their AHL team in this one as there were more Bridgeport Sound Tigers than Isles regulars dressed.

Maybe that is why the Islanders looked a little disorganized at times, but they're a bottom 5 NHL team also so one can't expect a masterpiece either.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

This is how the Leafs usually play, except Bernier didn't put up a .950 sv% to bail out the awful defense.

Although yes, on a normal day, it's possible there would actually be a defenseman near the crease on the PK, instead of leaving Kulemin alone to cover two Isles forwards like on Anders Lee's first goal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That theme would be quite fitting.

On the Isles tying goal with just a few minutes left saw Phaneuf out at the point pressuring the NYI point man while Anders Lee (his real responsibility) was alone in front of the net.

Under what system does protecting a lead and defending in your own zone give defensive responsibility to your Dmen to cover the points?
Ones that emphasize pressure. Phaneuf needs the forwards to identify the situation better. Kulemin is caught puck watching and McClement gambles on a puck battle instead of backing off and playing the situation as he usually would.

Even in a basic box, Lee would have been Gleason man.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If you have playoff aspirations and you lose to a team that is irrelevant in the playoff race does that make them relevant to your own cause? ;)

The Bruins lost to the Sabres. I think we can conclude from this that the Bruins aren't a very good team.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It was as if they were coasting for the SO, the way OT started they were flat-footed and looked confused, like they were killing time or suffering the onset of a team wide seizure.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Bruins lost to the Sabres. I think we can conclude from this that the Bruins aren't a very good team.

this was my big laugh for the day.

we got ONE point off a team that's not making the playoffs. us 3 pointing a game against the Isles isn't as doom, gloomly as some of y'all are making it out to be.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
People are freaking out but look at all the other high-scoring games that happened last night. Everybody is sloppy. It's the first game back, let's all chill out - they'll get it together.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
this was my big laugh for the day.

we got ONE point off a team that's not making the playoffs. us 3 pointing a game against the Isles isn't as doom, gloomly as some of y'all are making it out to be.

I don't think its doom and gloom, but if the Leafs miss the playoffs by a single point this year will this game here potentially have relevancy to that outcome?

If the Leafs make the playoffs I agree this result will be irrelevant other than perhaps playoff positioning and who you end up playing.

Remaining in a wild card spot all but guarantees a first round match-up against Pittsburgh or Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad