Post-Game Talk: Holy.... Whatever that Was, Batman - Isles 5, Leafs 4 (OT)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Also, that third line was pretty horrible I thought.

I have no idea why Kulemin is playing center when we could be using Holland.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think its doom and gloom, but if the Leafs miss the playoffs by a single point this year will this game here potentially have relevancy to that outcome?

If the Leafs make the playoffs I agree this result will be irrelevant other than perhaps playoff positioning and who you end up playing.

Remaining in a wild card spot all but guarantees a first round match-up against Pittsburgh or Boston.

You can make that argument to every game the Leafs lost in OT or SO this season though

Who cares who we play? Playoffs are playoffs .. I'd welcome a rematch against Boston and the Leafs at least have played hard against the Pens this season .. Besides if the Leafs were to make a good playoff run odds are they'd have to play at least one of these teams anyways en route to the final

hockeyfanz*

I don't think its doom and gloom, but if the Leafs miss the playoffs by a single point this year will this game here potentially have relevancy to that outcome?

If the Leafs make the playoffs I agree this result will be irrelevant other than perhaps playoff positioning and who you end up playing.

Remaining in a wild card spot all but guarantees a first round match-up against Pittsburgh or Boston.

I WANT the Leafs to play Boston in the first round to prove to those who thought last year was a fluke that they were wrong. That would be me.

Toronto vs. Boston in the first round. Awesome! Wasnt that the whole reason behind getting David Clarkson on that horrible contract? To play vs. Boston.

Bring it.

I'm hungry and ready and willing to eat some crow.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Game was brutal, but that's about what I expected when 17 guys in the lineup haven't played in a professional game for 2 weeks. Bernier was rusty as heck, but the guy's a machine and I'm sure he'll be back in top form shortly. The top line was killer as always, and we got burned badly on a few dumb mistakes. The Islanders looked really rusty too, Nabokov included, Toronto just allowed themselves to play worse.

We got a point, would obviously prefer a win, but so long as the team rebounds properly then this game isn't as awful as it would seem.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can make that argument to every game the Leafs lost in OT or SO this season though

Exactly every game is relevant.

However the points you lost to non playoff teams that you are suppose to be better than hurt more because losing to better teams is expected.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I WANT the Leafs to play Boston in the first round to prove to those who thought last year was a fluke that they were wrong. That would be me.

Toronto vs. Boston in the first round. Awesome! Wasnt that the whole reason behind getting David Clarkson on that horrible contract? To play vs. Boston.

Bring it.

Last year wasn't a fluke, Toronto played pretty consistent all year. This year, we have been up and down all over the place.

We could beat Boston sure. But not likely. Boston would be a big favourite and deservedly so. Did you watch the game last night? We gave up 5 goals, could have been 8 or 9. We have elite goaltending, we can score but our overall team defence sucks and until that changes there's just no comparing us against against a very strong proven team like Boston.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Exactly every game is relevant.

However the points you lost to non playoff teams that you are suppose to be better than hurt more because losing to better teams is expected.

Everyone seemed to think last night would be an easy game. The problem with that line of thought is that home ice plays a huge role. The betting line last night was close to pickem.

You can't take any team lightly. Remember how we have done against Buffalo this year? Toronto is nothing more than an average team. Some days they play well, some days they suck. And when we suck, we can lose to anyone. :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Who cares who we play? Playoffs are playoffs .. I'd welcome a rematch against Boston and the Leafs at least have played hard against the Pens this season .. Besides if the Leafs were to make a good playoff run odds are they'd have to play at least one of these teams anyways en route to the final

Bring it.

Exactly. I am not afraid about facing Boston - I know that we can beat them. Ditto with Pittsburgh.

I'd rather lose the points to the non-playoff team - than three pointing the games of teams we're chasing or creating a point spread against. People like Jeff O'Neil or other media pundits who go "these are the teams that you are supposed to beat." make me mad - Isles, Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton, Calgary etc, aren't playing each other 50% of the time. So basically what people are saying, these teams are supposed to be like 15 -67 or something crazy. They may not be able to do great streaks or have the talent to be amazing night in night out - but they're still an NHL team. They still have the capability and the mindset to beat another NHL team. GOOD TEAMS will lose to BAD TEAMS - it doesn't mean that the Good Team instantly becomes bad, or playoffs are no longer certain.

Boston lost to Buffalo - but of course no one says anything, but when the Leafs lose to Buffalo it's "OH MY GOD, the LEAFS LOST TO BUFFALO."

Again - last night was a gong-show across the NHL. We did blow 2 leads (the last one - quite frankly was a rip off, the whistle blew, and he waved off no goal, then pointed when it finally went in, even Bernier looked pissed off about it). We'll play better on Saturday, and keep on rolling. the goal making sure that we win division matchups in regulation, (or if we're losing, GET that point), and then 3 point the Western Conference games, and if the team isn't impacting our standings - 3 point the Metro.

period.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Carlyle this ones on you

Dressing seven D, and going with three lines just doesn't cut in todays game. The D are confused all night one shift their playing the left side, the next the right side, then they play with a different partner every other shift. When Smith and Bode two ahl'ers are in your lineup your not any better than the Isles, which was proven last night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Exactly. I am not afraid about facing Boston - I know that we can beat them. Ditto with Pittsburgh.

I'd rather lose the points to the non-playoff team - than three pointing the games of teams we're chasing or creating a point spread against. People like Jeff O'Neil or other media pundits who go "these are the teams that you are supposed to beat." make me mad - Isles, Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton, Calgary etc, aren't playing each other 50% of the time. So basically what people are saying, these teams are supposed to be like 15 -67 or something crazy. They may not be able to do great streaks or have the talent to be amazing night in night out - but they're still an NHL team. They still have the capability and the mindset to beat another NHL team. GOOD TEAMS will lose to BAD TEAMS - it doesn't mean that the Good Team instantly becomes bad, or playoffs are no longer certain.

Boston lost to Buffalo - but of course no one says anything, but when the Leafs lose to Buffalo it's "OH MY GOD, the LEAFS LOST TO BUFFALO."

Again - last night was a gong-show across the NHL. We did blow 2 leads (the last one - quite frankly was a rip off, the whistle blew, and he waved off no goal, then pointed when it finally went in, even Bernier looked pissed off about it). We'll play better on Saturday, and keep on rolling. the goal making sure that we win division matchups in regulation, (or if we're losing, GET that point), and then 3 point the Western Conference games, and if the team isn't impacting our standings - 3 point the Metro.

period.

Just for fun, I had a peek at the Boston board. Here's the first comment:

Terrible just simply terrible........To Buffalo of all teams

I'm sure there are many more. But I can't be bothered reading the rest of the comments because I only care about the Leafs.

Lose to a bad team, fans won't like it. Leaf fans are hardly unique in that regard although they more impatient than most.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Also, that third line was pretty horrible I thought.

I have no idea why Kulemin is playing center when we could be using Holland.

Draft pick exchanged in the deal for Blacker, if Holland plays... I think it's 25 games with the Leafs the pick jumps up a round.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
That threshold has already been breached as Holland has played 31 games in a Leaf jersey.

I'm only guessing at the length, it could be 30 games, 4 of those were with Anaheim. But if that's not the issue then who knows, cause he's been good.

Leafs Life Hockey*

That was a badly played game.

Run and gun will only take us to the 1st round of playoffs.

Not much different than Ron Wilson team. Lost special teams battle big time too.

Disgruntled Observer*

I'm a little worried...

This leaf team has been up and down/up and down all season. The inconsistency is a product of our bad advanced stat ratings: ie. poor puck possession, being embarrassingly outshot on a regular basis, etc.

We went to the olympic break on one of our "up" streaks.
But the way we just lost to the islanders could be signalling one of our numerous and consistent "down" streaks.

And things are so tight that a few weeks of "down" time could see us slipping out of the playoffs.
I love playoff hockey and last year was but a tease. I hope this team can get their **** together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad