Value of: Holtby to the Panthers

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lou is 39, he needs to be replaced, that replacement is NOT James Reimer, he is not, never has been and never will be a #1

Holtby is a proven guy, he had a poor season but you can't just ignore the previous 5.

He'd replace Lou perfectly at the right price.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The right price is the key. I'm not that panicky over goaltenders like a lot of people. I feel you can put one in there to do a good enough job for your team. I feel if the team in front of the goaltender is good and plays good defense, you can find a good enough goaltender to put behind that team to get you to the ultimate goal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The right price is the key. I'm not that panicky over goaltenders like a lot of people. I feel you can put one in there to do a good enough job for your team. I feel if the team in front of the goaltender is good and plays good defense, you can find a good enough goaltender to put behind that team to get you to the ultimate goal.

Ask Carolina about that, goaltending and pretty much goaltending alone sunk them.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Holtby would probably go for a 1st and a small +. I'd be surprised if Carolina didn't offer the Caps their 1st, but if they don't, Panthers might afford to offer theirs.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Ask Carolina about that, goaltending and pretty much goaltending alone sunk them.
Well, ok. They didn't put the right goaltending in there. Still doesn't change the fact that you can find good enough goaltending without having to pay a high price for it. Besides, the fact it seems to me they didn't generate enough offense was Carolina's problem.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If Holtby comes to FLA, one of Luongo or Reimer is going the other way, preferably Reimer. Don't know how WSH would feel about that.

Id offer a 2nd + Mascherin + sweetener

Some goalies non vezina winners were traded for 1st (even top 10) +

So expect to put your 1st + certainly a young cost controled nhl ready player or a very good prospect.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

So expect to put your 1st + certainly a young cost controled nhl ready player or a very good prospect.
Sure, but they were not coming off a really bad season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I hear ya. Our 2018 2nd is Arizona's that we own. Mascherin is a pretty good prospect + something else + Reimer as a backup while Samsonov gets top minutes developing in the AHL.
Doubt it would be enough to entice WSH fans but we need a top 4 defenseman more than Holtby if we're trading a 1st.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Sure, but they were not coming off a really bad season.

I know it's not in your duties to follow the Caps closely, but if not Holtby, this team would have maybe missed the playoffs and certainly would have fired Trotz. After Ovechkin, Holtby was the 2nd best player on the team in the first part of the year.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
If Holtby comes to FLA, one of Luongo or Reimer is going the other way, preferably Reimer. Don't know how WSH would feel about that.

Id offer a 2nd + Mascherin + sweetener

Caps have cap issues and have no interest in Reimer. The have cheap backup options for next year (Vanicek or Copley).

Goalies coming back are worth negative return to the Caps, even if the gaolie has theoretical value around the league.

If Panthers want Holtby, unload Reimer in another trade.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Caps have cap issues and have no interest in Reimer. The have cheap backup options for next year (Vanicek or Copley).

Goalies coming back are worth negative return to the Caps, even if the gaolie has theoretical value around the league.

If Panthers want Holtby, unload Reimer in another trade.

So otherwise, you like the trade and feel its close?
I'll ship Reimer home to WPG then.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I know it's not in your duties to follow the Caps closely, but if not Holtby, this team would have maybe missed the playoffs and certainly would have fired Trotz. After Ovechkin, Holtby was the 2nd best player on the team in the first part of the year.
It's not you start it's how you finish:nod:

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
So otherwise, you like the trade and feel its close?
I'll ship Reimer home to WPG then.

Look, I'm not one of those fans who is going to pretend I've scouted every prospect. I know Mascherin had a good season, but his lack of contract drops his value (which I'm not sure I can pinpoint to begin with). Anyways, the sweetener part matters...

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018

I don't see Tallon giving up a first here. Don't think a trade would work between the two.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Look, I'm not one of those fans who is going to pretend I've scouted every prospect. I know Mascherin had a good season, but his lack of contract drops his value (which I'm not sure I can pinpoint to begin with). Anyways, the sweetener part matters...

What are WSH's needs? More picks, prospects to stock the cupboards or NHL roster players with low cap hits ready to make an impact?

discobob

Dec 2, 2009
Everything
What are WSH's needs? More picks, prospects to stock the cupboards or NHL roster players with low cap hits ready to make an impact?

The team is going to be up against the cap as long for the rest of their current window. They need high upside forwards with years of cost control (young roster players, or prospects that are a year away from NHL duty) After that, they probably want picks...

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Did you see the Flyers tonight?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Did you see the Flyers tonight?
To be fair the Flyers goaltending has been positively awful in March and April - they gave up 3+ goals in 16 out of 19 games, not counting playoffs.
In comparison, the Panthers gave up 3+ goals in 8 out of 22 games over the same span.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the Luongo/Reimer tandem, but so far they've been decent - and positively outstanding compared to the Philadelphia mess. We'll need to find a long-term solution but I think we can go at least one more season with the pair of them if we have to.

If an opportunity appears, sure get a number 1. But I'm not desperate enough to sell off the farm this year if that is the price.

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Lou is 39, he needs to be replaced, that replacement is NOT James Reimer, he is not, never has been and never will be a #1

Holtby is a proven guy, he had a poor season but you can't just ignore the previous 5.

He'd replace Lou perfectly at the right price.

Luongo's still a starter, even though he's reaching 40. He can play for another one or two years.

Reactions: Dabeast

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Luongo, when healthy, is still good enough to be our #1 for at least another year.

Big question is if he can stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad