Value of: Holtby to Carolina

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Fluery and a first for Holtby seems reasonable to me.

This was would also help the Caps resign Carlson.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Can do a Build-A-Holtby Canes Workshop:

Pick One: #11 OA, Justin Faulk, Haydn Fluery, Jake Bean, Jeff Skinner (50% retained)
Pick One: Janne Kuokkanen, Aleksi Saarela, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Lucas Wallmark, 2018 2nd

Mix and match to your heart's content.

To reiterate, I love Holtby, but this post makes no sense. That first group is not all equal value, as you're implying.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
To reiterate, I love Holtby, but this post makes no sense. That first group is not all equal value, as you're implying.

Indeed. But value is somewhat subjective and this options gives a little something for everyone. The concept is the same regardless: Centerpiece and sweetener.

Centerpiece:
Washington potentially needs a RHD if Carlson leaves (Faulk). Washington could use cheap scoring wingers (Skinner at 50%). All teams like top prospects/picks (#11, Bean, Fleury). The difference in value between a recent ~#10 pick (Bean or Fleury) and a current #11 pick and 1-2 years (rental value) of Faulk/Skinner is small for me. For sure some team may pay more for Faulk or Skinner or a top pick at the Draft. I don’t know individual team GM’s preferences so I paint with a broad brush.

Sweetener: Washington needs cheap young scoring forwards. Kuokkanen, Roy, Gauthier, Wallmark, Saarela, etc. could all potentially be scoring forwards for the Caps next year.

I get it though. Faulk + Kuokkanen >>> Bean + Wallmark for me personally.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
If the Canes have learned anything over the last few years it is to NOT OVERPAY FOR A GOALIE!!!!!

As a long time Canes fan you are flat out wrong here. The lesson we learned is to not go with an unproven starter. We have struck out 3 times in a row now.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
As a long time Canes fan you are flat out wrong here. The lesson we learned is to not go with an unproven starter. We have struck out 3 times in a row now.

Okey Dokey, go ahead and give up a prospect and a first for Holtby. Good luck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Canes have learned anything over the last few years it is to NOT OVERPAY FOR A GOALIE!!!!!

When has cheap ass Carolina ever overpaid for anything, nevermind overpay for a goalie? They still have Cam Ward under contract and it's 2018. Scott Darling wasn't a major investment for an average NHL team. Eddie Lack? Anton Khudobin? Maybe call that accountant who recently suited up for the Hawks.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
When has cheap ass Carolina ever overpaid for anything, nevermind overpay for a goalie? They still have Cam Ward under contract and it's 2018. Scott Darling wasn't a major investment for an average NHL team. Eddie Lack? Anton Khudobin? Maybe call that accountant who recently suited up for the Hawks.
They overpaid for Jordan Staal. The #8 overall pick (Trouba went #9), Brian Dumoulin, and Brandon Sutter. Two top pairing guys and a 3rd line center for a low-end 2C that has only got to 20 goals once since being in Carolina. And they have Alexander Semin a massive 5 year deal after 24 very good games from him. He proceeded to decline as soon as the ink dried.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Carolina shouldn't help the Caps. If they want to move Grubauer, I'd listen and probably pay a nice price. If they want to unload Holtby, to open up cap space to resign Carlson; we're not giving up multiple good pieces. You want a first for Holtby, ok. You want Fleury for Holtby, ok. You want both, Csrolina passes.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I maintain my position that Carolina should have traded for Fleury. Canes didn’t want to do the Pens a “favor” by letting us keep Murray, but lost out on a great goalie that wouldn’t have been expensive to trade for

You can "maintain your position" all you want, but there's a lot of evidence out there that it was never a possibility. Between Fleury's NTC and the fact that there was an expansion draft that the Pens had to consider, it's very likely a MAF to Carolina was never an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad