Value of: Holtby to Carolina

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
With Grubauer taking over the starters job, and uber prospect Samsonov ready for NHL duty, does a deal between Washington and Carolina make sense?

Carolina needs a bona fide #1. Darling isn't that guy. Washington isn't gonna just give away Holtby, but another down year would kill his value

thoughts?

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Putting holtby on a metro team probably costs even more

Worth the cost. Canes just need average goal trending to be a playoff team. For Holtby, I could see something like a 1st, and either a Hanifin/Faulk or a forward of they needed wing help instead. The pay would be substantial. As a Canes fan, if it meant the playoffs even if the guy is a nut job come playoff time, it would be worth the price.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Worth the cost. Canes just need average goal trending to be a playoff team. For Holtby, I could see something like a 1st, and either a Hanifin/Faulk or a forward of they needed wing help instead. The pay would be substantial. As a Canes fan, if it meant the playoffs even if the guy is a nut job come playoff time, it would be worth the price.

Agreed.
It wouldn't be foolish for Carolina to explore trading for Price and Holtby.

Reactions: DarthProbert

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

[MOD] I love Holtby, he's the good version of Ward, but a 1st + Hanifin is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That canes fan said a first + hanifin for Holtby?? heres a Price instead!!

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I maintain my position that Carolina should have traded for Fleury. Canes didn’t want to do the Pens a “favor” by letting us keep Murray, but lost out on a great goalie that wouldn’t have been expensive to trade for

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I maintain my position that Carolina should have traded for Fleury. Canes didn’t want to do the Pens a “favor” by letting us keep Murray, but lost out on a great goalie that wouldn’t have been expensive to trade for

Agreed. Our glorious GMRF dropped the ball. Now we have Scott Darling and the pleasure of reading Sarah Darling's tweets.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
A $6M goalie who just lost his starting job isn't worth all that much.
Washington takes what they can get and off loads the cap hit.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Ya, I’m sure that’s exactly how it went down and Fleury’s NTC had nothing at all to do with it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A $6M goalie who just lost his starting job isn't worth all that much.
Washington takes what they can get and off loads the cap hit.
Bingo. Worst case for the Canes if they're going for Holtby is they use a team from out west as an intermediary and maybe pay them something marginal to do so. I've honestly been wondering something around Haydn Fleury + 2nd in that regard.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Bingo. Worst case for the Canes if they're going for Holtby is they use a team from out west as an intermediary and maybe pay them something marginal to do so. I've honestly been wondering something around Haydn Fleury + 2nd in that regard.

Three team trades, so hot right now

This is the most realistic way we'd make a deal

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The guy won a Vezina two years ago.

The trade isn't happening 2 years ago is it? He's going to be 29 by next season and currently listed as a backup for the playoffs. It'll take a bit to get him on another team in the metro, but the Canes aren't helping them get rid of a goalie by massively overpaying.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Can do a Build-A-Holtby Canes Workshop:

Pick One: #11 OA, Justin Faulk, Haydn Fluery, Jake Bean, Jeff Skinner (50% retained)
Pick One: Janne Kuokkanen, Aleksi Saarela, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Lucas Wallmark, 2018 2nd

Mix and match to your heart's content.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The trade isn't happening 2 years ago is it? He's going to be 29 by next season and currently listed as a backup for the playoffs. It'll take a bit to get him on another team in the metro, but the Canes aren't helping them get rid of a goalie by massively overpaying.

You can't just ignore the previous 5 seasons

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Can do a Build-A-Holtby Canes Workshop:

Pick One: #11 OA, Justin Faulk, Haydn Fluery, Jake Bean, Jeff Skinner (50% retained)
Pick One: Janne Kuokkanen, Aleksi Saarela, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Lucas Wallmark, 2018 2nd

Mix and match to your heart's content.
I would absolutely love for the caps to get Skinner and Wallmark for Holtby, don't know if Holts is enough for those 2 however

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You can't just ignore the previous 5 seasons

Nobody is ignoring it. But he fell apart in the playoffs last year and hasn't been very good this year. If you're trading a goalie when he's struggling, your not expecting back a vezina status return. The return will still be good but including Hanifin and a first seems a bit much, no?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad