Holtby playing himself into Conn Smythe consideration?

Oster

Jun 3, 2006
South Carolina, USA
Just a reminder where Vegas was shooting from when they scored in game 1.

I'm not sure what shot location has to do with him bobbling the puck and serving up juicy rebounds all night long - I'm not blaming him for all the goals I'm saying he played an all around poor game. The Caps are lucky none of those got put away - Vegas could have easily scored 2 or 3 more goals on him.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
All I want is to keep having this debate right up to the moment the announcement is made. Because if the debate is whether it's Holtby or Ovechkin then the Caps have won the Cup. And I guarantee you the posters here care a lot more about who wins the Conn Smythe than either Holtby or Ovechkin.

Reactions: JenniferH

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he puts up a good performance in the next 3-5 games and no one else on the caps breaks out in the series, I think he wins, if Ovechkin doesn't score more than a goal or two ROS

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
No. He has been somewhat inconsistent IMO. He didn't look great a couple games against the Lightning and he didn't look good Game 1 against Vegas. A solid Game 2 doesn't change that. He was only a .919SV% heading into Game 2.

I think he has been critical in their playoff run, but Ovechkin and Kuznetsov have been their MVPs.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ovechkin or Fleury.

Holtby needs Fleury-type numbers and doesn’t have it, and no Vegas skater stands out enough to displace Fleury.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he has to be considered a favorite right now. Seems like once he stepped in the Caps fortunes turned around this playoff season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd almost be curious how close Eller ends up if he gets a bigger role to finish this series out.

Gonna be tough to knock out Ovechkin and even Kuznetsov if he does get back in, but Holtby stealing a couple games could change that

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I haven't seen any stats, but going off the eyeball test for games 1 and 2, I don't think so. That giant save last night was awesome though.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If Holtby keeps up the great play past the first two games of this series then he’s a safe bet.

If Wilson keeps performing great for what people normally expect of him, I’d say he deserves a nod too. I actually hope so. Would piss off so many people.

“Wilson sucks, I’d take x player before him.”

“Does x player have a Conn Smythe and a Stanley Cup?”

That one great save has really overrated his whole performance this series! He conceded 5 goals in the first game! And he was good in game 2, but hardly great, with the exception of that one amazing save.

Goalies get either too much credit or too much flak. I remember last season before the finals, Rinne was one of the favourites for the Conn Smythe. But then a couple of bad games, people were saying he should be dropped! There seems to be no middle ground. Holtby has overall been good these playoffs, but I don't think he is Conn Smythe candidate atm.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You keep saying that and it is NOT true. Holtby did not suck, royally, or otherwise during the regular season. He had a one-month slump (mid-February through mid-March) period. That is all. Through the first half of the season, he and Ovi were the reasons that the Caps were at the top of the Metro division. Grubauer couldn't buy a win to save his life. Holtby, despite not having the stellar numbers that he did the years before, could and did.

He faced more high-danger shots than any other goalie in the league and had a horribly porous defense in front of him and yet was still managing to stop enough pucks to get the wins for the Caps on the defensive end (while Ovi did his part on the offensive end). In mid-February, he slumped. It lasted through mid-March. When he came back from his reset, he posted similar numbers to Grubi through the rest of the season, and once he was unbenched in the Playoffs, he's been great.

Oh, and he never "threw teammates under the bus." He made one comment in one after-game that was entirely appropriate. Compare this with six years of never taken credit for his great goaltending and giving credit to everyone else on the team.

Starting Grubi game 1 was reasonable. Game 2 was not.

You make some good points.

Holtby did only make 1 comment that I am aware of in terms of blaming the Caps' defensemen publicly.

And he was indeed playing behind a terrible defense for much of the year. Before Kempny got here, things were real bad on the blue line. Bowey wasn't working out.

I'm going to offer some counterpoints:

Grubauer outplayed Holtby behind the very same defense, which demonstrates that Holtby really was bad, and could have been better.

Grubauer was bad in October and part of November. Starting on November 24th, he ranged from very good to excellent for the rest of the season. If the wins weren't there after that, then that was mostly by chance and mostly factors other than him.

Holtby wasn't just bad from mid February to mid March. He was a .910 in January (when Grubauer was .941). I think many of us knew he was off his game as early as January - when he had a GAA of 2.83 - which is far from where he's been the past few years. (again, it's not all on him)

Grubauer was .923 and 2.35 GAA on the season. Holtby was .907 and 2.99.

Also, Holtby gave up 6 goals to the Penguins on February 2nd. He was a complete disaster in that game and by that time we all knew something was very wrong. He was flustered, frustrated, out of position, leaning the wrong way, and flat out misplaying the puck. All of this was extremely uncharacteristic. He had almost always been Mr. Cool prior to this. It was alarming IMO, and at that time many of us in the Caps forum knew something was wrong - two weeks before you say he started to slump.

November 18th was the last time in the regular season Holtby held a team to fewer than 2 goals. You will not find a streak like that in his entire career. It was bad.

Lastly, I think you are downplaying how bad he was at his worst. He wasn't just bad. This was not merely a typical slump. He was a friggin train wreck and a head case. His GAA was 4.62 in February. He was so bad that as a Vezina caliber goalie, he was benched and actually agreed with it (credit to him - but it was obvious).

Anyway, for those reasons I think Trotz benching Holtby for two playoff games is reasonable, and I think that also reasonably means the Caps #1 goaltender has some culpability for the two losses that started these playoffs. I do not think he should get a pass for the first two playoff losses just because he was so unreliable recently that Trotz didn't start him. The fact that Holtby has played well since then cannot change this because no coach has the luxury of hindsight.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
You make some good points.

Holtby did only make 1 comment that I am aware of in terms of blaming the Caps' defensemen publicly.

And he was indeed playing behind a terrible defense for much of the year. Before Kempny got here, things were real bad on the blue line. Bowey wasn't working out.

I'm going to offer some counterpoints:

Grubauer outplayed Holtby behind the very same defense, which demonstrates that Holtby really was bad, and could have been better.

Grubauer was bad in October and part of November. Starting on November 24th, he ranged from very good to excellent for the rest of the season. If the wins weren't there after that, then that was mostly by chance and mostly factors other than him.

Holtby wasn't just bad from mid February to mid March. He was a .910 in January (when Grubauer was .941). I think many of us knew he was off his game as early as January - when he had a GAA of 2.83 - which is far from where he's been the past few years. (again, it's not all on him)

Grubauer was .923 and 2.35 GAA on the season. Holtby was .907 and 2.99.

Also, Holtby gave up 6 goals to the Penguins on February 2nd. He was a complete disaster in that game and by that time we all knew something was very wrong. He was flustered, frustrated, out of position, leaning the wrong way, and flat out misplaying the puck. All of this was extremely uncharacteristic. He had almost always been Mr. Cool prior to this. It was alarming IMO, and at that time many of us in the Caps forum knew something was wrong - two weeks before you say he started to slump.

November 18th was the last time in the regular season Holtby held a team to fewer than 2 goals. You will not find a streak like that in his entire career. It was bad.

Lastly, I think you are downplaying how bad he was at his worst. He wasn't just bad. This was not merely a typical slump. He was a friggin train wreck and a head case. His GAA was 4.62 in February. He was so bad that as a Vezina caliber goalie, he was benched and actually agreed with it (credit to him - but it was obvious).

Anyway, for those reasons I think Trotz benching Holtby for two playoff games is reasonable, and I think that also reasonably means the Caps #1 goaltender has some culpability for the two losses that started these playoffs. I do not think he should get a pass for the first two playoff losses just because he was so unreliable recently that Trotz didn't start him. The fact that Holtby has played well since then cannot change this because no coach has the luxury of hindsight.
Every goalie has bad games. The Pens game was bad. Yes. However, he also had some pretty good games in January and after the Pens games, I believe. His numbers were the worst they've been, but it was because of the porous defense in most cases. You say that Grubi had better numbers, sure, he did. Well, in the first half of the season, he was also playing WAY less games than Holtby and still not winning. Holtby was managing to win despite the defense sucking big time. Holtby (and Ovi) was carrying the team on his back for months.

He did start to play his worst the second half of the season, yes. But it didn't start to get consistently bad--thus a slump--until mid-February. Prior to that, he would have a bad game in January, and then a few good games, then a bad game, then two-four/five good games, then a bad game, etc. It wasn't until mid-February through mid-March that it was pretty much bad game after bad game, again, thus a slump. Personally, I thought Holtby should have been pulled for that reset sooner than Trotz had done so (end of February/early March), but oh well.

Regardless, my point stands. No, Holtby didn't play great, but he didn't have an entire awful regular season. And I don't think you can compare his numbers--which were exacerbated by a horrible defense and the fact that he saw more high-danger shots than any other goalie in the league--to a back-up goalie who didn't see nearly as many games as he did. And also could not buy a win for most of the games he played the first half of the season. Holtby could and did. He had bad games in the first part of the second half, yes, but it was a game followed by good ones. A slump is a stretch of bad games. That happened in mid-February through Mid-March only. I know, I watched each and every game desperately hoping Holtby would not be the suck so I know when he was and was not. That period was when he was the suck game in and game out.

With all of that said, I'm not (nor is any Holtby fan--unless they are blatantly ignoring reality) saying that he had a good season. He did not. This was easily his worst season, hands down. However, you keep saying that he sucked royally, etc. in the regular season and he did not suck royally. When he was one of the two main reasons why the Caps were at the top of their division for the first half of the season, well, that's a pretty good indication that he did not suck, royally or otherwise. He just wasn't near his Vezina-caliber form. However, he was a key reason as to why his team won their division. Had he not helped secure those wins the first half--and he did, he really, really did--they wouldn't have been where they were in the second half. (Still, thank God for Grubi in the second half because Holtby certainly did suck more often than not.)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I will be livid if Crosby gets a Smythe in 2016 with his 4 points in 6 games in the finals and his 19 points in 24 games overall, and Ovi doesn't get one being >PPG.

Seems like you are livid over Crosby and the Pens winning in 2016 regardless.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
No chance Holtby is a consideration. Did you hear the slathering of compliments because Ovie scored one PP goal. The media is just aching to kiss his arse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad