Holland/Wright the Worst Drafting Duo of the Century?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Holland is a fraud. He joined the Wings when they were in the middle of a dynasty and were the league's most talented team. All the top free agents wanted to play there. He also had Devellano, Bowman, and Jim Nill around.

He lucked out on the Datsyuk/Zetterberg picks in the late 90's. Nobody knew how good those two would become until many years later.

His biggest accomplishment would be signings and trades to transition from the Yzerman/Shanahan/Fedorov era to the 2007-2010 Wings.

After 2010, he made terrible trades, signings, and draft picks, to keep that playoff streak going. By then, they weren't real contenders anymore and were mortgaging picks for short-term playoff appearances. That set the franchise back many years.

His HOF induction is overblown.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Felt like going over this because it seems like it's carried over into Edmonton from his God awful last couple years in Detroit. Once Holland brought Tyler Wright on in Detroit to run their scouting, they seemed to largely move away from Europe and started drafting heavily in North America. Then Yzerman took over and it seems Detroit has turned back on the "European Pipeline" they had previously established. With that in mind, here's the last 10 drafts involving Holland and Wright, with a disclaimer that the two technically didn't draft together in 2019, even though they worked together right up until a month or so before the draft.

For reference, NHL players are in bold. Picks in the top 3 rounds will be noted regardless. Anybody outside the top 3 rounds without NHL games is just in "Other draftees".

#15 - Dylan Larkin - 205G 286A in 639GP
#63 - Dominic Turgeon - 0G 0A in 9GP
#106 - Cristoffer Ehn - 5G 8A in 114GP

Other draftees - Chase Perry, Julius Vahatalo, Axel Holmstrom, and Alexander Kadeykin.

#19 - Evgeny Svechnikov - 20G 25A in 172GP
#73 - Vili Saarijarvi
#140 - Chase Pearson - 0G 0A in 3GP

Other draftees - Joren Van Pottelberghe, Patrick Holway, and Adam Marsh.

#20 - Dennis Cholowski - 10G 20A in 117GP
#46 - Givani Smith - 9G 12A in 148GP
#53 - Filip Hronek - 35G 167A in 372GP

Other draftees - Alfons Malmstrom, Jordan Sambrook, Filip Larsson, and Mattias Elfstrom

#9 - Michael Rasmussen - 48G 64A in 299GP
#38 - Gustav Lindstrom - 5G 27A in 155GP

#71 - Kasper Kotkansalo
#79 - Lane Zablocki
#83 - Zachary Gallant
#88 - Keith Petruzzelli

Other draftees - Malte Setkov, Cole Fraser, Jack Adams, Reilly Webb, and Brady Gilmour

#6 - Filip Zadina - 37G 50A in 245GP
#30 - Joe Veleno - 29G 33A in 211GP
#33 - Jonatan Berggren - 17G 16A in 76GP

#36 - Jared McIsaac
#67 - Alec Regula - 1G 0A in 22GP
#81 - Seth Barton
#84 - Jesper Eliasson

Other draftees - Ryan O'Reilly, Victor Brattstrom, and Otto Kivenmaki

2019*

#8 - Philip Broberg - 2G 9A in 79GP
#38 - Raphael Lavoie - 0G 0A in 7GP

#85 - Ilya Konovalov
#100 - Matej Blumel - 1G 0A in 6GP

Other draftees - Tomas Mazura and Maxim Denezhkin

#14 - Dylan Holloway - 6G 7A in 82GP

Other draftees - Carter Savoie, Tyler Tullio, Maxim Berezkin, Filip Engaras, and Jeremias Lindewall

#22 - Xavier Bourgault
#90 - Luca Munzenberger

Other draftees - Jake Chiasson, Matvey Petrov, Shane LaChance, and Maximus Wanner

#32 - Reid Schaefer

Other draftees - Samuel Jonsson, Nikita Yevseyev, and Joel Maatta

#56 - Beau Akey

Other draftees - Nathaniel Day and Matt Copponi

Other than the Zadina miss, that Detroit drafting is the definition of average. There are far, far worse teams than this.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Lou/Conte Devil-era post lockout comfortably has that beat.

From 05 - 14, Damon Severson, Adam Henrique, Adam Larsson, and Blake Coleman are the only NHLers of note to be drafted.

you missed over 4 thousand NHL games though

none of them are great players or anything but that includes 2 guys you didn't mention that played 500+ NHL games in Merrill/Kerfoot(plus Miles Wood at 459, and all three of those guys are still playing racking up more games) and a couple more more that played a few hundred

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
you missed over 4 thousand NHL games though

none of them are great players or anything but that includes 2 guys you didn't mention that played 500+ NHL games in Merrill/Kerfoot(plus Miles Wood at 459, and all three of those guys are still playing racking up more games) and a couple more more that played a few hundred

You’re right. I forgot Wood. Honestly didn’t even realize Merrill was still in the NHL, I’m honestly impressed. Kerfoot I forgot for obvious reasons.

Still, nothing even close to Larkin or Hronek in the range.

It is kind of ironic though, at one point, Lou and Holland were pretty much unanimously seen as the best GMs in hockey and part of their bread and butter was being able to find these gems outside of the first round, or not even in the draft.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You’re right. I forgot Wood. Honestly didn’t even realize Merrill was still in the NHL, I’m honestly impressed. Kerfoot I forgot for obvious reasons.

Still, nothing even close to Larkin or Hronek in the range.

It is kind of ironic though, at one point, Lou and Holland were pretty much unanimously seen as the best GMs in hockey and part of their bread and butter was being able to find these gems outside of the first round, or not even in the draft.

yeah you can't just do what everyone else is doing to do that you need to find things others aren't doing and that never lasts forever and it's tough to find new things other teams aren't doing when they go away

i'm not nearly as familiar with the Devils as the Wings but the Wings draft success decades ago was mostly built on guys that were guys that other teams were very much aware of but unwilling to draft(everyone knew who Sergei Fedorov was for example, it was just a matter of him actually coming over) and guys that weren't really even scouted by other teams due to where they played and teams not having the resources to scout everyone(for example that famous Datsyuk story about how Wings scout Hakan Andersson was the only scout to see him play and he wasn't even there to see him, and how some other teams scout was also supposed to make the trip but their flight got cancelled)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No no you see Holland is actually bringing it hard because [incomprehensible 2019 Wings fan speak]
After 2018 when Winnipeg lost to Vegas in the WCF I was convinced they were about to go on a run for a few years and have a chance to win a cup. I would say "Oh Holland and Wright are following the Winnipeg model of trying to be a big hard team to play against with some skill" what an idiot I was.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Other than the Zadina miss, that Detroit drafting is the definition of average. There are far, far worse teams than this.

I could be wrong, but I think just about every team would have at least one contributing player in 10 years outside the first two rounds.

If you remove Larkin and Hronek from this, the list is absolutely rancid.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I usually judge a pick by the guy that was taken and the 4 after him (essentially the 5 picks when the team went on the clock). That should be the guys that are ranked around then. Sometimes it's just a bad round/draft and it's all a bunch of guys that end up doing nothing, sometimes you end up with a nothing player before a run of all stars/hall of famers.
That's why I think Tallon's 2010 draft might have been the worst draft value in decades. In the first 2 rounds, he got; 1892 games, 193 goals, 317 assists, 510 points when picking, literally, the next guy he would have got; 3942 games, 922 goals, 1555 assists, 2477 points.

Reactions: lwvs84

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Rangers and Jets don't look all that great in the 2014-23 span either. Rangers hit on Igor in 2014, but they have whiffed on a tonne of high picks. Andersson, Kratsov, Kakko, Lafrienierre.

Chicago was dismal over the same period. Oilers of course. Penguins haven't got anything out of the draft over this period either.

I feel like Red Wings fans try a little too hard to crap on Holland in order to boost Yzerman's lack of success.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I could be wrong, but I think just about every team would have at least one contributing player in 10 years outside the first two rounds.

Larkin and Hronek were two of the very best picks in their entire drafts and that kind of outweighs whether or not they found a bottom-6 forward in the 4th round in there somewhere.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Larkin and Hronek were two of the very best picks in their entire drafts and that kind of outweighs whether or not they found a bottom-6 forward in the 4th round in there somewhere.

Two great picks in 10 years ain't good lol. I dunno what to tell ya other than that.

Dallas did that in two rounds of one draft...

Reactions: DamonDRW

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Two great picks in 10 years ain't good lol. I dunno what to tell ya other than that.

Dallas had a generational draft for sure.
Maybe the best draft in the last 20-25 years.
Not sure why you would use that as a standard for good drafting.

Its kind of a "If you're not first, you're last" statement.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The thread is lacking context. What would be league average in terms of games and PPG from team draftees during this period. I have no way of knowing how bad this is.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The thread is lacking context. What would be league average in terms of games and PPG from team draftees during this period. I have no way of knowing how bad this is.
The Athletic did an analysis/ranking a few months ago on how each team drafted from 2007-2018, so it doesn't cover the Holland/Wright years in Edmonton, but their analysis/ranking of the Detroit years 2015 to 2018 aligns pretty much with what the OP is saying: they were terrible at drafting.

https://theathletic.com/5084335/2023/11/23/nhl-draft-rankings-performance-picks/

DetroitDraft.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

My post was specifically referring to the Detroit drafts.

And yes, getting two impact players plus another couple solid NHLers in a 5-year span is pretty average from where they drafted.

Dallas' 'best draft of any team in the last 10 years' isn't really relevant to a discussion of average drafting.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The Athletic did an analysis/ranking a few months ago on how each team drafted from 2007-2018, so it doesn't cover the Holland/Wright years in Edmonton, but their analysis/ranking of the Detroit years 2015 to 2018 aligns pretty much with what the OP is saying: they were terrible at drafting.

Ranking the NHL’s best and worst drafting teams since 2007: 31-17

DetroitDraft.png

For me, while it does does pass the eye test, I have a hard time taking it seriously just because it's from Dom's god-awful model.

Same model says Maatta, Ghost, and Petry have been significantly more valuable for Detroit than Seider this year, which is just grade A bullshit.

Dallas had a generational draft for sure.
Maybe the best draft in the last 20-25 years.
Not sure why you would use that as a standard for good drafting.

Its kind of a "If you're not first, you're last" statement.

Dallas' overall drafting over the last 6-7 years has been pretty incredible even if you remove 2017 from the draft entirely.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Closer to 2017 but yeah. KK may be a bust but getting three other NHLers in a single draft is more than Holland has done. 2019 also had three NHLers for us. 2020 got Guhle. 2021 is going to be at least Roy and Mailloux.

11 drafts with the only real impact player being traded for Drouin. Funny enough Tinordi and McCarron are finally starting to crack the league in their D+13 and D+10. Juulsen also is finally playing a regular role in his D+8.
Tinordi isn't even AHL good. We're just that bad.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Even with Larkin and Hronek it's awful.

1 top line forward. 1 top 3 defenseman. 1 top 9 C/W. 1 bottom line C. 1 middle 6 W that still isn't a regular yet.

3 outright 1st round busts (15, 16, 18). Numerous 2nd round busts. Nobody of note in later rounds.

That's bad by any standard.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
At least as far as the Oiler picks go, there were higher touted players still available in each circumstance, but Wright seemed to like to "smartest guy in the room" it and dial in on one random player, everything else be damned. My mother taking a draft guide and picking the highest player left on the board at the time would have come away with better players.

The only one I don't really fault them for was Holloway because the draft fell off a cliff after #13 that year. Broberg and Borgault were telegraphed bad picks.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Even with Larkin and Hronek it's awful.

1 top line forward. 1 top 3 defenseman. 1 top 9 C/W. 1 bottom line C. 1 middle 6 W that still isn't a regular yet.

3 outright 1st round busts (15, 16, 18). Numerous 2nd round busts. Nobody of note in later rounds.

That's bad by any standard.

I think at this point Zadina can be considered a bust. He's pretty much around for his draft pedigree at this point, and somebody hoping he finally pulls it together.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad