Holland vs. Frattin

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I know one's a centre and the other's a winger. But based on their roles, who do you think is better or projected to be better based on their AHL experience and NHL experience.

I know Frattin has more NHL experience and we haven't seen enough of Holland in the NHL. But I liked what I seen of him when he actually had minutes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It better be Holland since Frattin isn't very good.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I know one's a centre and the other's a winger. But based on their roles, who do you think is better or projected to be better based on their AHL experience and NHL experience.

I know Frattin has more NHL experience and we haven't seen enough of Holland in the NHL. But I liked what I seen of him when he actually had minutes.

Holland is a guy who could become a top6 forward, while Frattin I see as more of a top6/top9 tweener

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Holland easily. He's got better vision, hockey iq, and versatility. Frattin is a big question mark. Don't want to make it seem like I'm trashing him, I'm not, but he is what he is.

JMcLeaf

Holland.

Maybe Frattin will be a late-bloomer but right now it doesn't look like he'll be a big point producer. Should be a solid bottom 6 player though.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The benefit that Frattin has over Holland, is that he can move up and down your lineup if need be, whereas Holland probably can't.

I'm confused as to why it seems set in stone that Holland is going to start in the bottom 6. There's a gaping hole the size of Lindsey Lohan's lady-parts on that second line that needs filling - why not throw him on that line?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Holland without a doubt!

Holland has legitimate 2nd line hands and vision. At this point in his career he just needs an opportunity to take the next step.

Frattin is like a bull in a china shop who can drive to the net and has a heavy shot but lacks hands and vision. He's got 3rd liner written all over him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm confused as to why it seems set in stone that Holland is going to start in the bottom 6. There's a gaping hole the size of Lindsey Lohan's lady-parts on that second line that needs filling - why not throw him on that line?

Need at center > need at wing

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holland has everything. Skating, shooting, stickhandling, passing and size. Not overly aggressive or truculent but doesn't really need to be. Just needs to put it together. This guy gets no respect from a lot of Leaf fans and I have no idea why. Easily our best NHL ready prospect.

Frattin has a good shot, decent skating, heavy hitter but probably not much more upside to his game.

Easily Holland.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They are a wash to me coming into what is a pivotal year for both. Frattin was on fire playing beside Kadri before being derailed by the knee thing. Players usually don't bounce back immediately after that. If the "lower body injury" that DLed him for a few games with the Kings is unrelated then he could have a nice bounceback year. He had 7 goals in a 10 game stretch right before being hurt which is impressive by any measure. If he meshes with Kadri again it could be very good but it does seem less likely in light of his results last season.

Holland is younger so theoretically has more growth and plays a more valuable position so they might be more patient. If he uses his strong playoff as a springboard it could be his time. High end guys don't normally spend more than a season or two in the AHL so I would expect he will show it this year if he is up to being a top 6 NHLer or an in and out og the lineup guy. If he can play the wing that will buy him more opportunity once Lupul goes down with an injury. If he got a solid top 6 opportunity I think he could score 40+ points but I see him being moved around a lot 2nd-3rd-4th lines. Being shifted positions and lines will hurt his stats but developmentally I think he just needs to play more than 15:00 a night to hit his stride and there is some room with Kule and Raymond gone.

Neither one is a strong bet to become really good, but both still have that potential.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
holland is about 3 years younger and a former 1st round pick. while draft rank isnt a guarantee on nhl performance i think hollands upside is a lot higher. the thing that holland needs the most right now is an opportunity to take a steady ship at the nhl level. i think he proved int he ahl playoffs he is definitely ready to make the leap.

in contrast frattin is a tweener. people had a lot of hopes for him when he first came up but imo he isnt good enough to be top 6 and not defensive enough to be bottom 6. he has some offense but nothing like macarthur or raymond who can put up 40-50 points if given ice time.

i dont really understand the damigo for frattin trade as i think on the 4th line at a minimum damigo would do better then frattin. if nonis made the trade thinking frattin could play on the 2nd line then we are in bigger trouble then i thought. frattins future with the leafs is probably due more to the fact that he is going to make $800,000 then of his actual abilities.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
They are a wash to me coming into what is a pivotal year for both. Frattin was on fire playing beside Kadri before being derailed by the knee thing. Players usually don't bounce back immediately after that. If the "lower body injury" that DLed him for a few games with the Kings is unrelated then he could have a nice bounceback year. He had 7 goals in a 10 game stretch right before being hurt which is impressive by any measure. If he meshes with Kadri again it could be very good but it does seem less likely in light of his results last season.

Holland is younger so theoretically has more growth and plays a more valuable position so they might be more patient. If he uses his strong playoff as a springboard it could be his time. High end guys don't normally spend more than a season or two in the AHL so I would expect he will show it this year if he is up to being a top 6 NHLer or an in and out og the lineup guy. If he can play the wing that will buy him more opportunity once Lupul goes down with an injury. If he got a solid top 6 opportunity I think he could score 40+ points but I see him being moved around a lot 2nd-3rd-4th lines. Being shifted positions and lines will hurt his stats but developmentally I think he just needs to play more than 15:00 a night to hit his stride and there is some room with Kule and Raymond gone.

Neither one is a strong bet to become really good, but both still have that potential.

Well said

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Funny. Two years ago the debate was Frattin vs Kadri, with edge going to Matt.

Seems that newer is always better around here.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
It'd be nice if carlyle gave Holland some playing time. Put up 1 less point than Clarkson playing MINIMAL minutes in only 38 games compared to clarksons 60. Not to mention the contract difference; but that's a whole other discussion. Holland has more potential but I think a nice steady set of linemates for each will help unlock both of their potential's.

CalgaryLeaf*

Probably Frattin...I don't see Holland being on the team once they are legit contenders.

Frattin has a higher upside be he is certainly no sure thing.

Holland is just another AHL type...I don't see him in their long term plans.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Probably Frattin...I don't see Holland being on the team once they are legit contenders.

Frattin has a higher upside be he is certainly no sure thing.

Holland is just another AHL type...I don't see him in their long term plans.

And where are you taking this from?

Numbers, speculations etc...?

Last edited:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Holland for sure. But that being said Frattin still has some upside but I don't expect him to be more than a 3rd liner who can add a some bottom 6 scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad