News Article: Holland says something good about Mantha!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...27/detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha/83593078/

Basically he's saying nice things now that he's in the AHL. He went onto mention how Mantha is needed to be an important part of Detroit in the future.

Feels like he's throwing the kid a bone after all the negativity to the press earlier.
Yup. I think he did this to be like "look! I don't hate Mantha! See, guys? Stop being so mad at me."

As an aside, I know lots of fans were hammering on the beat writers for being in Holland's pocket, but they are really starting to convey the fans' discontent. Holland is actually hearing tough questions these days. I think that's one of the reasons for Holland's weird behavior in the media lately; he's not used to this kind of criticism.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i think its cause you have never before and still havent since then heard holland or anyone else from the organization talk about any other prospect ever the way holland and jimmy D did with mantha

at least i havent ever heard it from two sources worded that strongly

Last guy I can remember this with was Primeau (another physically gifted guy) if I am being honest. They ran extremely hot and cold on him. Jimmy D and Bowman liked him so much at one point they tried trading Stevie Y. But there was always a Keith can do more or should be more coming out of the brain-trust Holland included as they were part of a three headed system. It did wind up getting him traded, I hope that is not Mantha's fate.

Glad to see Holland say something nice. Mantha was great in the first round against Milwaukee. They didn't want him to be a spare part and he won't be in the run down there. So it is a growth step they talked about.

I hated the comments at the time though. He has to come up with something better to say, one of the most disappointing moments I think Holland has had were those comments coming in public. But to be honest I am worried even if he is thinking that in private. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. Even if he was a spare player the year before and he might not be ready, he has the potential to be a massive player in the future that needed to be uttered. That we think he is going to be a significant piece soon, but we just don't think he is there yet. No need to put it the way he did, no reason to really even think it either which was distressing as a fan in my opinion.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yup. I think he did this to be like "look! I don't hate Mantha! See, guys? Stop being so mad at me."

As an aside, I know lots of fans were hammering on the beat writers for being in Holland's pocket, but they are really starting to convey the fans' discontent. Holland is actually hearing tough questions these days. I think that's one of the reasons for Holland's weird behavior in the media lately; he's not used to this kind of criticism.

That makes sense. I don't like the meaning, but it makes sense.

Maybe he hates it enough and moves up.:handclap:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Oh, I do too. It's the rampant negativity that bugs me. Stuff like Mantha being loved or hated by the Red Wings makes me laugh. Stuff like we should trade Jimmy Howard 50% retained for a ham sandwich bothers me though.

And I'm predisposed to believe that it is something where Mantha responds better to adversarial coaching than coddling and they've seen this. Same deal with Tatar. Hate the red ass coach, but damned if he doesn't make you a fantastic player.

I couldn't agree more. Like every single word haha. Especially those first few sentences; you really hit the nail it the head

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think this all comes down to if Mantha hits, he is going to be a superstar. Management sees that he has the size and skills, and they expect him to compete. They are extra hard on him because they know how good he could be. 6'5 guys with his skating, shooting ability, and soft touch don't come around very often.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Reminds me of this.

frogurt.jpg

“Well, I need something for my son’s birthday.†– Homer Simpson

“Ah, perhaps this will please the gentleman. Take this object, but beware: it carries a terrible curse.†– House of Evil Owner

“Ohh, that’s bad.†– Homer Simpson

“But it comes with a free frogurt.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s good.†– Homer Simpson

“The frogurt is also cursed.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s bad.†– Homer Simpson

“But you get your choice of topping.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s good.†– Homer Simpson

“The toppings contains potassium benzoate.†– Hoe of Evil Owner

“…†– Homer Simpson

“That’s bad.â€

Ad

Upcoming events