News Article: Holland says something good about Mantha!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...27/detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha/83593078/

"His goals were goal scorers' goals," Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today. Holland was one of several Wings executives who attended the game. "Anthony has made great strides this year. He had a tough rookie year in the AHL -- part of that was injury, part of that was making the jump from juniors.

"He has used the adversity of his first year to bounce back. He had a real good season with Grand Rapids, got his feet wet in the NHL. We were hoping Grand Rapids would go on a run so he could get some experience."

Basically he's saying nice things now that he's in the AHL. He went onto mention how Mantha is needed to be an important part of Detroit in the future.

Feels like he's throwing the kid a bone after all the negativity to the press earlier.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
were hoping?

I guess that's the justification for the demotion, so he could be all-in on the AHL playoffs and get that "experience." Although NHL playoffs feel like good experience, too, but yeah.

I mean, this isn't surprising language from the king of overripe.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Or realizing he screwed his trade value.

Still nice to hear something positive.

Can someone explain the "Anthony Mantha is not long for the Red Wings" sentiment?

I have yet to see anything that indicates Mantha is not wanted on the Red Wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can someone explain the "Anthony Mantha is not long for the Red Wings" sentiment?

I have yet to see anything that indicates Mantha is not wanted on the Red Wings.

They haven't said anything to that nature. Nor has Mantha. I think it just comes from all the negative chatter the higher ups have given to the press. Like if he's one of your shiny prospects, why are you riding him so hard in public?

I guess you could argue the fact they are so vocal about their disappointment at times, thus tarnishing his trade value, lends to the fact they plan on keeping him around rather than creating a false sense of value for trade. I think there's a pretty strong argument to be made that you never really benefit from calling out your prospects in the press. You don't know what offer could land on your table next week and if you've created the narrative of a problem child or struggling to get his game, you've cut yourself off at the knees. The only possible benefit is if you think it's some kind of motivation, but I'm more of the opinion you can easily get the same thing across in private with face-to-face meetings.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
But He wasn't good

He didn't say that though, he said he was a spare part in the Griffins playoff run last season.

Do you know why Ken Holland said that? Because Anthony Mantha was a spare part on the Grffins' playoff roster last season. He just shouldn't have said it to the media.

Unless you think 2 goals and 2 assists in 16 games is some sort of accomplishment.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
They haven't said anything to that nature. Nor has Mantha. I think it just comes from all the negative chatter the higher ups have given to the press. Like if he's one of your shiny prospects, why are you riding him so hard in public?

I guess you could argue the fact they are so vocal about their disappointment at times, thus tarnishing his trade value, lends to the fact they plan on keeping him around rather than creating a false sense of value for trade. I think there's a pretty strong argument to be made that you never really benefit from calling out your prospects in the press. You don't know what offer could land on your table next week and if you've created the narrative of a problem child or struggling to get his game, you've cut yourself off at the knees. The only possible benefit is if you think it's some kind of motivation, but I'm more of the opinion you can easily get the same thing across in private with face-to-face meetings.

1) Maybe they tried closed door meetings and they weren't satisfied with the results those brought?

or

2) Maybe the Wings don't see it as being overly negative or the big slight that everyone makes them out to be. Like Jimmy D ripping him for being disappointing... his season last year WAS disappointing. They were thinking that he last year might be doing what Larkin did this year and then he hurt his leg and took a long time coming back and while he kept improving, it wasn't at anywhere near the clip they probably projected. Or Holland "riding" him for being spare parts in the playoffs last year. I mean, he wasn't a top line guy. Essentially, he WAS spare parts for a guy with his skills. And he agrees with it and has been putting in a bunch of work to improve

or

3) He's the type of guy you get the most out of by riding him like a rented mule. Kinda like how Tatar got his ass chewed out by Babcock on the regular and he vastly improved for it. Maybe Mantha just has a personality that works when you push and push and push on him. Say "Nope, not good enough, we know you can do more" even though his performance is adequate.

I don't generally like chewing out a top prospect for the reasons you lay out, but I simply can't believe that the Red Wings brain trust is stupid like the prevailing opinion has become. Jimmy D and Holland lighting into the kid isn't just for S's and G's or because they think he's a waste of space... I really do think that it's designed to push him to become the stud they think he can be. Maybe try to publicly embarrass some compete level out of him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Well, we ain't got playoff hockey to care about anymore!

Hey it's wings forum. Discuss away.

I just find it amusing. If the general opinion of the forum is to be believed the wings opinion of the kid is a roller coaster.

I believe the organizational opinion is much more level and based of a long term outlook regardless of what someone says to a media member every few months.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I just find it amusing. If the general opinion of the forum is to be believed the wings opinion of the kid is a roller coaster.

I believe the organizational opinion is much more level and based of a long term outlook regardless of what someone says to a media member every few months.

It's more surprising because he's the only one who has been called out like this in... well I don't even know. A long time. If this was status quo, we'd be like "Yup, there goes Holland again, same ol'" but usually the Wings brass give all kinds of cliches about experience, veterans, man's league, and so on. So to hear him get a shade defensive to a reporter and say the phrase "spare part" is out of character and why it generated so much discussion.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Somebody who's amazing at photoshop and has too much time should make a gif of Mantha browsing the internet going from happy to sad to happy to sad to happy to sad

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It's more surprising because he's the only one who has been called out like this in... well I don't even know. A long time. If this was status quo, we'd be like "Yup, there goes Holland again, same ol'" but usually the Wings brass give all kinds of cliches about experience, veterans, man's league, and so on. So to hear him get a shade defensive to a reporter and say the phrase "spare part" is out of character and why it generated so much discussion.

Probably due the fact that, Larkin notwithstanding, they haven't had comparable expectations for a prospect in a very long time. That said, I still believe they have a level and consistent opinion of the kid.

Edit: and I'm not suggesting there has been zero evolution in their opinion, I just don't think it's the roller coaster their comments may suggest

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Oh, I do too. It's the rampant negativity that bugs me. Stuff like Mantha being loved or hated by the Red Wings makes me laugh. Stuff like we should trade Jimmy Howard 50% retained for a ham sandwich bothers me though.

And I'm predisposed to believe that it is something where Mantha responds better to adversarial coaching than coddling and they've seen this. Same deal with Tatar. Hate the red ass coach, but damned if he doesn't make you a fantastic player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Somebody who's amazing at photoshop and has too much time should make a gif of Mantha browsing the internet going from happy to sad to happy to sad to happy to sad

Yes. Oh god, yes.

That would be amazing and almost certainly should be, if not the focus, at least a key component of a GDT next season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yes. Oh god, yes.

That would be amazing and almost certainly should be, if not the focus, at least a key component of a GDT next season.

Reminds me of this.

frogurt.jpg

“Well, I need something for my son’s birthday.†– Homer Simpson

“Ah, perhaps this will please the gentleman. Take this object, but beware: it carries a terrible curse.†– House of Evil Owner

“Ohh, that’s bad.†– Homer Simpson

“But it comes with a free frogurt.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s good.†– Homer Simpson

“The frogurt is also cursed.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s bad.†– Homer Simpson

“But you get your choice of topping.†– House of Evil Owner

“That’s good.†– Homer Simpson

“The toppings contains potaum benzoate.†– House of Evil Owner

“…†– Homer Simpson

“That’s bad.â€

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Well you see, Kronwall and Zetterberg were playing chess one day and Mantha stumbled by and knocked some of the pieces over. The Swedish mafia was having none of that and told Holland in no uncertain terms that Mantha will be removed from the Red Wings. Mantha's days with the organization are numbered with Zetterberg and Kronwall pulling the strings on their puppet Holland.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Well you see, Kronwall and Zetterberg were playing chess one day and Mantha stumbled by and knocked some of the pieces over. The Swedish mafia was having none of that and told Holland in no uncertain terms that Mantha will be removed from the Red Wings. Mantha's days with the organization are numbered with Zetterberg and Kronwall pulling the strings on their puppet Holland.

Cement is cheap, water is deep.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

i think its cause you have never before and still havent since then heard holland or anyone else from the organization talk about any other prospect ever the way holland and jimmy D did with mantha

at least i havent ever heard it from two sources worded that strongly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad