News and Blog Report: Holland Presser

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I dunno... if it's true he was willing to peddle the 1st for Coleman (that was the rumor anyway... and with the price TB ended up paying... some team... such as the Oilers certainly helped drive up that price so I'd believe he was in on Coleman)... plus the fact that he's spoken to 15-20 teams... that seems like a GM who is in "deal mode"... and as he said he'd be disappointed with himself if he didn't get the team some help.

I'm going to go against the grain and predict a bigger deal/deals than most think he'll pull off.

I have this gut feeling that Holland/Tippett feel this team is really starting to gel and work hard together as a team and I think they feel this team can make some real noise in the playoffs.

I'm predicting they acquire a top 6 winger AND a veteran depth dman as you can always use another dman in the playoffs.

As for the cap... the can get creative with other teams doing retention and potentially having KRussell on LTIR... they'll find a way to juggle the cap situation to fit the new guys in.

This is ~100 point team and that type of team... when they start to really play hard for each other and believe they can beat any team they play against... will be a tough team to face in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holland seems MORE likely to trade his first after that presser than before tbh. He said he wouldn't do it for a rental, not that he wouldn't do it at all.

I agree.
There was a really telling line by Holland...."I would be really disappointed in myself if I am not able to do something".

Holland is looking to improve this team on or before the TDL...no doubt in my mind.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Holland seems MORE likely to trade his first after that presser than before tbh. He said he wouldn't do it for a rental, not that he wouldn't do it at all.

I think we are almost at a win right now scenario so I don't think trading the 1st rounder is a bad idea for someone with term. I think are window is just opening amd now is the time.

First rounders are gambles, top picks. Look how kakko and Hughes are strugglingvtgis year. If you can trade that pick for a proven nhl player with some term when you window is just starting to open I say hammer down

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Since Jones and Lagesson need waivers in the fall and Bears graduated... you can see how poor the rest of the D prospects are on the Condors. While Samorukov has progressed nicely and Bouchard is great in the transition... it's still a terrible AHL D group without the 3 graduates.

Don't get me started on the forwards. No Benson, Yams, Marody... it's definitely a bottom-feeder AHL group.
Was definitely tongue in cheek. If you take Yamo, Benson, Cave, Bear, Jones, Lagesson and now Bouchard out of the line up, you are decimated. Hopefully if we graduate Jones and/or Lagesson and/or Bouchard next year, we can add some more prospects/vets for development.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Honestly, I’m happy with this team as is when healthy. I’d be okay if it was just adding Slepeshev for playoffs. If Neal is out until playoffs then maybe trade the saved third again for best depth you can find. Remember, a rested healthy, hungry playoff ready Neal is a great add too.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Honestly, I’m happy with this team as is when healthy. I’d be okay if it was just adding Slepeshev for playoffs. If Neal is out until playoffs then maybe trade the saved third again for best depth you can find. Remember, a rested healthy, hungry playoff ready Neal is a great add too.
I don't think Slepy would be eligible for the play-offs, or am I wrong here?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
-Trade deadline. He said he would like to do something to help the team. "We'll see." What other teams do doesn't influence his. Depends on what the market is. 1st round pick not going for rental. Cap is an issue. You never know what young players can do until they get opportunity. Young players and role players have added depth. Has talked to 15-20 teams. Knows who is available. Some teams not sure where they are at. More expensive to trade for players with term. Dman isn't totally out of the question.

What's available, what's the cost. It isn't like

Anyone here who was once 12 years old and asked their dad for something that he was never going to get knows what "we'll see" means.

We ain't making any deadline deals.

Reactions: Aerchon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's one team just as an example...

Buffalo doesn't want to admit they are sellers yet (clinging to some hope that they could make a fairy tale run I guess)... but once they see reality... they have 10 forwards with expiring RFA/UFA contracts on their roster (plus a couple dmen as well).

A team like that once they decide to push the sell button.. opens up a LOT of options for buying teams.

Now multiply that by the other teams who are "on the edge".. can't quite decide whether to stand pat as they try to squeak into a playoff spot... or sell and admit it's "next season" time.

Rangers, Blackhawks and Wild (among others) are in that same boat as well.... and have some very useful pieces that would help playoff bound teams.

There's definitely going to be some decent players hitting the market Sunday/Monday and likely a lot more movement to come.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Anyone here who was once 12 years old and asked their dad for something that he was never going to get knows what "we'll see" means.

Listening, it was more like..."I really want to do something to show the team I want to help them but won't sell the farm for a mediocre improvement." I sense he thinks he will do something but whether it is very small or not depends on seller prices.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Bakersfield is terrible right now. Oilers injuries stripped that team of all talent and depth. Bottom-5 team in the league and got smoked by San Jose Barracudas (and other teams) who are bottom of league.

I'm glad Holland isn't trading our first.
Looks like your a big Condors fan. Sorry the season isn't a better one. On the bright side for the Oilers is if the Condors have no chance in making the playoffs and the Oilers do, Black Aces will be fun to watch if injuries pile up. A good test of depth for the organization in a emergency.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Don't think that's an accurate take on what he said.

Holland said he wants to add, said he would be very disappointed if he couldn't. He specifically referenced rewarding or "contributing" to the Oilers moving forward. Him not refusing to rule out trading his first for non-rentals is sort of news in that it contradicts some things we've heard from about a month back.

I think and have thought that a depth forward, maybe a winger who can slide around, was likely based on what's being said by team insiders. I haven't thought much about a more expensive winger at all, but now I think there's at least some chance he does leverage his first round pick in a package for a winger with term. The two kind of out there: Tatar and Palmieri.

More chance than before from my perspective.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
The 31st pick has too be in play. To anyone else its a 16 through 23.

Like already stated, Holland has been patient other than getting caught up in the Kassian hysteria. My guess is something will fall into his lap based on the number of teams he has contacted.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Perfect, why telegraph what you want to do when it adds zero value to do so. But reflects too I think a very fluid market that is likely changing all the time. He did talk several times of feeling responsible to help this team out with what they've achieved. Love that we have a veteran GM whose not going to be reactive in this bubble time where assets are too often significantly overvalued.

Yep, Kenny keeps it pretty close to the vest.

Just a couple weeks ago he was saying moves would depend on the team winning or losing the next stretch of games. They won, and today he said things were unchanged by winning or losing. Hah.

If you read between the lines, you can bet he's trying his ass off to make this team better. Just don't expect him to do anything stupid if the price isn't fair.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Bakersfield is terrible right now. Oilers injuries stripped that team of all talent and depth. Bottom-5 team in the league and got smoked by San Jose Barracudas (and other teams) who are bottom of league.

They have what, 2 games in the next week+ I know its important to build confidence down there but there really isn't an option.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

giphy.gif

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
I really wouldn't be surprised if Pulju's camp warms to the idea of him returning to our lineup next year. I can't see why he wouldn't want to be a part of a winning team, and we could use him. His stint in Finland seems to be helping his development.

Meh I don't think he's really shown much this season. His NHLe (if you believe in that calculation) puts him at a theoretical 35 points per 82 games. That makes him a 3rd liner, which is what he was before.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I really wouldn't be surprised if Pulju's camp warms to the idea of him returning to our lineup next year. I can't see why he wouldn't want to be a part of a winning team, and we could use him. His stint in Finland seems to be helping his development.

I think it 50/50 at best he even considers coming back to the Oilers. He has been very adamant that he is better off away from the organization no matter what. Very foolish imo.

Meh I don't think he's really shown much this season. His NHLe (if you believe in that calculation) puts him at a theoretical 35 points per 82 games. That makes him a 3rd liner, which is what he was before.

Agreed. His trip away hopefully helped his mental state because I don't believe it actually helped his career or his value in the nhl.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

Point projections are a tiny piece of the puzzle. If he is playing hard with his speed, size and shot he could be a very effective player in the nhl. Especially if he has his confidence back.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
JP has size... which gives him an obvious edge over player X who might be 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs putting up point per game numbers as well.

He's also what... 21? He's still at an age where he has some upside and isn't a finished project yet.

His downside is that shitty attitude that he's dragging around and that takes him down probably a couple notches.. probably some GM's have no interest in him at all because of that... essentially like having him on a "DO NOT DRAFT" list.

I don't mind JP... I always saw a decent player there, but I think where he was drafted A) went to his head and B) he was given too much "benefit of the doubt" that he could live up to that #4 draft pick status.

If he's closer to a 3rd line type talent with some good size/speed and defensive awareness (which I think is what he is)... that's still a good NHL player and will help many teams. Problem being maybe JP thinks he should be more than that and treated like a top line player getting top minutes etc... and the team may be holding out for a return that is in line with a #4 type pick as well.

Once JP has his head size down a notch or two (yes I know he has a giant head)... then the team may get a decent return for him.

Can they get a 1st for him? Probably not... but maybe a 2nd or a prospect in return with "issues" as well... one that was possibly drafted higher than they should have been and has not panned out quite as well as anticipated.

All depends on what Holland is holding out for as well... at some point he'll see a reasonable return and bite on something or just decide to take "something" for him instead of watching him depreciate even further.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers only have about 500,000 in cap space, so really not enough to do much of anything unless you move a body out. And I agree with him, no way do you start giving up high draft picks (1st or 2nd) for pure rentals.

Personally, I like the way our team is set up right now. The biggest thing is getting some bodies back. The guys that have been filling in are proving they can provide depth if needed should we make the playoffs and go deep.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
JP has size... which gives him an obvious edge over player X who might be 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs putting up point per game numbers as well.

He's also what... 21? He's still at an age where he has some upside and isn't a finished project yet.

His downside is that shitty attitude that he's dragging around and that takes him down probably a couple notches.. probably some GM's have no interest in him at all because of that... essentially like having him on a "DO NOT DRAFT" list.

I don't mind JP... I always saw a decent player there, but I think where he was drafted A) went to his head and B) he was given too much "benefit of the doubt" that he could live up to that #4 draft pick status.

If he's closer to a 3rd line type talent with some good size/speed and defensive awareness (which I think is what he is)... that's still a good NHL player and will help many teams. Problem being maybe JP thinks he should be more than that and treated like a top line player getting top minutes etc... and the team may be holding out for a return that is in line with a #4 type pick as well.

Once JP has his head size down a notch or two (yes I know he has a giant head)... then the team may get a decent return for him.

Can they get a 1st for him? Probably not... but maybe a 2nd or a prospect in return with "issues" as well... one that was possibly drafted higher than they should have been and has not panned out quite as well as anticipated.

All depends on what Holland is holding out for as well... at some point he'll see a reasonable return and bite on something or just decide to take "something" for him instead of watching him depreciate even further.
I think that the only way JP gets traded is if it's part of a package deal for a better player. I'd be shocked if we would get something more valuable than a 3rd round pick if we are talking one for one value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad