News and Blog Report: Holland Presser

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
-McDavid at regular practice. Coming along fine.

-Not surprised at performance. Said Tippett has them prepared.
-Trade deadline. He said he would like to do something to help the team. "We'll see." What other teams do doesn't influence his. Depends on what the market is. 1st round pick not going for rental. Cap is an issue. You never know what young players can do until they get opportunity. Young players and role players have added depth. Has talked to 15-20 teams. Knows who is available. Some teams not sure where they are at. More expensive to trade for players with term. Dman isn't totally out of the question.

What's available, what's the cost. It isn't like there are tons and tons of guys available.

-When he came here on a 5 year deal he has to look at what developing the team looks like. Has to decide over the next three or four days what approach to take that continues that development. Until you get on the phone you talk to your people, your coach and work towards helping out the team.

Neal is 2-3 weeks. Russell is getting better but no timeline. Nygard is getting pins out. 2-3 weeks away. Klefbom is 2-2.5 weeks.

A lot of this resiliency goes to coaching staff and leadership of the team.

Puljujarvi. Not shopped him and no one has really asked about him.

Tone about Bako was very positive. Their development has helped big club.

Last edited:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for the summary - I wasn't able to tune in. No mention of McDavid at all?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
McDavid is doing good and going on the road trip.

Thank you. Hopefully he is able to get a game in by the end of the road trip, but I'm sure even just practicing with the team is a big positive.

PS - I'm a fan of the methodical approach of Holland so far. If the right piece isn't available for a proper price I don't think we're in a rush to acquire an overpriced rental. If this were year 3 of us making the playoffs and just needing a piece to push us over I'd be a bigger fan of making a short term move. We're not there yet and still hamstrung by numerous Chia moves that were knee jerk responses to filling square holes with a round peg.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Glad Holland is being stingy with our prospects and picks.

If at the very end of the deadline he can scoop up someone cheap that's perfect.

We have great defensive depth now it's time to add to the forwards.

Yamamoto. Basically graduated.
Benson. A good chance he starts on the team next year.
Lavoie...?
???

I like Maxismov and a few others, would have liked to see Gambardella up and Marody, but they are so far away or apparently not good enough. A couple more blue chip guys are desperately needed.

He goes hard after forwards this year there is at least a chance one or two makes an impact before his 5 year term is up.

Terrible but love hearing that about Puljujarvi. If we can't get good value I have no problem with him being a precautionary tale to future a-holes that don't want to play for their team.

Clock is really ticking on Puljujarvi. Barring a miracle he just isn't going to get a trade the way he is going about this.

He needs to suck it up, apologize, and come into camp next year trying his hardest to make the team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"cap is an issue" It always is here, but rentals don't cost as much just for the short term you have them and there was no reason to lock up the Kassian contract this early, or for this much. Frankly I would have waited for the season to be done prior to signing that one.

Its a bit disappointing that Holland is taking a step back from earlier indications that he would work to help the team if they managed to be still in contention by deadline. Maybe its just the way its stated but the conviction to do a deal doesn't seem as strong now.

No one asked about Puljujarvi. OMG...lol

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
"cap is an issue" It always is here, but rentals don't cost as much just for the short term you have them and there was no reason to lock up the Kassian contract this early, or for this much. Frankly I would have waited for the season to be done prior to signing that one.

Its a bit disappointing that Holland is taking a step back from earlier indications that he would work to help the team if they managed to be still in contention by deadline. Maybe its just the way its stated but the conviction to do a deal doesn't seem as strong now.

Kass's cap doesn't affect the deadline this year unless you are adding a guy with term. After this season the following contracts are done. Gagner, Archibald, Hass, Sheahan, P. Russell, Cave, Brodziak, Manning, Granlund, Persson, Jurco (Assuming he wants to reup the others like Smith Lagesson etc) Gryba is also off the books. Lots of room for Kass's deal.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bakersfield is terrible right now. Oilers injuries stripped that team of all talent and depth. Bottom-5 team in the league and got smoked by San Jose Barracudas (and other teams) who are bottom of league.

I'm glad Holland isn't trading our first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Bakersfield is terrible right now. Oilers injuries stripped that team of all talent and depth. Bottom-5 team in the league and got smoked by San Jose (and other teams) who are bottom of league.

Some of the best NHL teams had awful AHL teams, they are meant to be a developmental league, if you focus on winning an AHL title you are doing it wrong. Look at the leafs, one of the top AHL teams in the league for years now, hows that working for them?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

"Cap is an issue"is not a general comment. Nothing to do with Kassian signing. It is an issue because our deadline cap space is in minus (ie we need to shed salary) we currently don't even have cap space to add a Ennis.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Bakersfield is terrible right now. Oilers injuries stripped that team of all talent and depth. Bottom-5 team in the league and got smoked by San Jose (and other teams) who are bottom of league.

Must be tough for a team with 5-6 of your best players out of the line up. Oh wait...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Mav3rick07

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Some of the best NHL teams had awful AHL teams, they are meant to be a developmental league, if you focus on winning an AHL title you are doing it wrong. Look at the leafs, one of the top AHL teams in the league for years now, hows that working for them?

While I hate the Leafs, their farm team has provided cheap depth over last few the years. Plenty of mid/late rounders developed on the Marlies.

I feel teams like Stockton and Tucson have more vets than prospects. Those teams curbstomp the Condors. I recall teams like Hershey prefers to win over development...

The Condors are playing horribly and the roster is as bad (bad D, bad G, poor F). A losing culture is not conducive to proper development. It's so obvious we lack bonafide top-6 forward prospects in the AHL... When McLeod is the best F prospect (who will be a great defensive C at least) it's pretty sad. Thankfully Holland went and signed all these Euro vets... because the farm team could not supply bodies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Must be tough for a team with 5-6 of your best players out of the line up. Oh wait...:sarcasm:

Since Jones and Lagesson need waivers in the fall and Bears graduated... you can see how poor the rest of the D prospects are on the Condors. While Samorukov has progressed nicely and Bouchard is great in the transition... it's still a terrible AHL D group without the 3 graduates.

Don't get me started on the forwards. No Benson, Yams, Marody... it's definitely a bottom-feeder AHL group.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Holland seems MORE likely to trade his first after that presser than before tbh. He said he wouldn't do it for a rental, not that he wouldn't do it at all.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Since Jones and Lagesson need waivers in the fall and Bears graduated... you can see how poor the rest of the D prospects are on the Condors. While Samorukov has progressed nicely and Bouchard is great in the transition... it's still a terrible AHL D group without the 3 graduates.

Don't get me started on the forwards. No Benson, Yams, Marody... it's definitely a bottom-feeder AHL group.

Graduating a huge number of players at once hurts the team, no doubt. But that's the point of an AHL team with good players when the NHL team is hurt. They exist to feed us. Their success in a situation like this is less than secondary.

Raphael Lavoie and possibly Philip Broberg may help out next year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The problem is so many injuries. They are effectively playing with a 28 man roster right now which puts them a little over the cap. If healthy this team would be fine wrt the cap.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Graduating a huge number of players at once hurts the team, no doubt. But that's the point of an AHL team with good players when the NHL team is hurt. They exist to feed us. Their success in a situation like this is less than secondary.

Raphael Lavoie and possibly Philip Broberg may help out next year.

Let's not forget that everyone is up because of 6 players on the IR and 1 player suspended most of which will likely be on the team next year. So some of these kids may be going back still to continue development next year. They're all showing well, but they haven't all "graduated". Throw in some likely new signings and trades that should happen in the offseason, a couple of them could very well be leading the farm next year as the first injury callups.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kass's cap doesn't affect the deadline this year unless you are adding a guy with term. After this season the following contracts are done. Gagner, Archibald, Hass, Sheahan, P. Russell, Cave, Brodziak, Manning, Granlund, Persson, Jurco (Assuming he wants to reup the others like Smith Lagesson etc) Gryba is also off the books. Lots of room for Kass's deal.

Right, sorry, I never get any of this cap stuff right so I usually avoid the topic heh.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I really wouldn't be surprised if Pulju's camp warms to the idea of him returning to our lineup next year. I can't see why he wouldn't want to be a part of a winning team, and we could use him. His stint in Finland seems to be helping his development.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Not that I expected much more, but that was a whole lot of saying nothing - which, he shouldn't be saying his intention/wishes just before the deadline. But, classic Ken Holland stuff.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The cap is an issue because they have six players on the IR, so they're essentially icing a 29 man roster right now.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I don't think we'll get a trade before the deadline, and I'm fine with that. At full health this is a good team.
Maybe Ennis for a 4th but I'll be shocked if anything more significant happens.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah he didnt say much about anything on what hes planning to do which is how I think it should be.

He isnt trading a first for a rental. I think its a smart thing personally.

I got the impression he isnt going to do much though because of prices/cap. I dont think we should expect anything other than a couple trades for depth. But who knows, like I said, he didnt say much about anything. Still hoping for a top 6 winger with term but I dont think I am going to get it.

Gave some decent explanations on the injury front. Nice to hear. Doesnt sound like hes going to panic.

I find it amusing how much of the schedule he seems to know in advance. He at least gives the impression that hes dialed in, looking at the present and looking at the future.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
It got their coach promoted ‍

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not that I expected much more, but that was a whole lot of saying nothing - which, he shouldn't be saying his intention/wishes just before the deadline. But, classic Ken Holland stuff.

Perfect, why telegraph what you want to do when it adds zero value to do so. But reflects too I think a very fluid market that is likely changing all the time. He did talk several times of feeling responsible to help this team out with what they've achieved. Love that we have a veteran GM whose not going to be reactive in this bubble time where assets are too often significantly overvalued.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad