Holland, Palmieri, Etem

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Holland, Palmieri, Etem. Just curious how Ducks fans and others see these prospects shaking out. With Blake/Koivu/Selanne having at most 1 more year together there seems to be a lot of opportunity for these talented youngsters.

Who would you bet on having the biggest impact offensively in the next 3 years? Conversely, who's the most likely to bust?

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Ducks are hoping that Holland-Palmieri become even a fragment of that which is our Getzlaf-Perry duo. They both fit the mold and hopefully some time in the AHL together will help them and I see them being in the lineup once Saku and Teemu are gone after this next season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Holland, Palmieri, Etem. Just curious how Ducks fans and others see these prospects shaking out. With Blake/Koivu/Selanne having at most 1 more year together there seems to be a lot of opportunity for these talented youngsters.

Who would you bet on having the biggest impact offensively in the next 3 years? Conversely, who's the most likely to bust?

It's kind of unclear atm. Holland seems to be gifted and will most likely be a second or third line center, but will never be first line calibur because of his inconsistency issues. He had a pretty explosive few games in the AHL, it was good enough to get an NHL callup in the playoffs (he didn't play any games). Of the three he's got the biggest bust potential. But I doubt he's gonna fully bust. I believe he will contribute to the NHL at SOME level.

Palmieri is doing all the right things in the levels just under the big leagues. He was pretty great in the AHL and he was a star for USA at the WJC. But he hasn't got his game figured out for the NHL level. He could fit in and keep up at that level, but he's got some time before he excels. Just like Holland, he'll never be a first line guy, but I'd say he has more potential than Holland. At best a second line 60 point guy. But that's after a few years in the NHL. He'll start as a 20-30 pts a year, and if things work out he'll turn into a star. Of the three he's the most likely to have the biggest impact.

Etem...it's hard to critique him. I'd have to wait for his AHL days. He's got natural scoring talent, and if I had more to go off of, I'd say that he could be the best of the three. But I don't. He's speedy, he can score, he drives to the net, and his drive to succeed is extraordinary. Plus it helps that he was drafted by a team in his home...area. That's extra motivation. One thing that bothers me from what I saw at training camp is, despite his speed, he has a very strange skating stance. He hits his strides hunched over. And while this provides lots of speed (i know because when I skate and I need an extra burst of speed I do the same thing) it makes him very open to crushing hits. I'll see how his game translates to the professional level before making my judgement. He is our first ranked prospect.

One guy from Anaheim worth being excited about is Devante Smith-Pelly. If you followed the OHL and CHL finals, you'll know that he was a playoff hero for the Mississuaga St. Micheals Majors (longest name ever). I got to actually watch a lot of those games, and we got a total steal in this pick. If I was Murray and I had picks 12, 28, and 29 last year I would have made the same first three picks. He has natural offensive talent, vision, and hockey iq. He can score, he can pass, he can skate, and his defensive game is so solid, that I believe that with the right development he could go back in time remove Travis Moen from Anaheim's checking line in 2007 and improve it. At the NHL level I see him being a prototypical Sammy Pahlsson, meaning his checking game (which he decided to work on) will be at the same level, or better, and he'll add even more of a scoring touch. Think a combination of Pahlsson and Big Buff. I've seen him play 10 times and I've been left impressed each time.

Hope that helped. :)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks are hoping that Holland-Palmieri become even a fragment of that which is our Getzlaf-Perry duo. They both fit the mold and hopefully some time in the AHL together will help them and I see them being in the lineup once Saku and Teemu are gone after this next season.

Yeah. I actually agree with this. Holland-Palmieri are like Getz-Perry lite. Holland plays like Getzlaf, minus several talent levels, and Palmieri plays like Perry minus a few talent levels and pest mentality.

Apr 6, 2011
Anaheim loves to draft high risk / high reward guys, the same philosophy behind these 3 is the same which has led them to draft dmen like Schultz and Fowler. I don't really like Etem but I think the Ducks have enough frontline stars (ryan-getzlaf-perry) that will allow Palmieri-Holland to develop as a hidden force, probably in two years though.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
It's kind of unclear atm. Holland seems to be gifted and will most likely be a second or third line center, but will never be first line calibur because of his inconsistency issues. He had a pretty explosive few games in the AHL, it was good enough to get an NHL callup in the playoffs (he didn't play any games). Of the three he's got the biggest bust potential. But I doubt he's gonna fully bust. I believe he will contribute to the NHL at SOME level.

Palmieri is doing all the right things in the levels just under the big leagues. He was pretty great in the AHL and he was a star for USA at the WJC. But he hasn't got his game figured out for the NHL level. He could fit in and keep up at that level, but he's got some time before he excels. Just like Holland, he'll never be a first line guy, but I'd say he has more potential than Holland. At best a second line 60 point guy. But that's after a few years in the NHL. He'll start as a 20-30 pts a year, and if things work out he'll turn into a star. Of the three he's the most likely to have the biggest impact.

Etem...it's hard to critique him. I'd have to wait for his AHL days. He's got natural scoring talent, and if I had more to go off of, I'd say that he could be the best of the three. But I don't. He's speedy, he can score, he drives to the net, and his drive to succeed is extraordinary. Plus it helps that he was drafted by a team in his home...area. That's extra motivation. One thing that bothers me from what I saw at training camp is, despite his speed, he has a very strange skating stance. He hits his strides hunched over. And while this provides lots of speed (i know because when I skate and I need an extra burst of speed I do the same thing) it makes him very open to crushing hits. I'll see how his game translates to the professional level before making my judgement. He is our first ranked prospect.

One guy from Anaheim worth being excited about is Devante Smith-Pelly. If you followed the OHL and CHL finals, you'll know that he was a playoff hero for the Mississuaga St. Micheals Majors (longest name ever). I got to actually watch a lot of those games, and we got a total steal in this pick. If I was Murray and I had picks 12, 28, and 29 last year I would have made the same first three picks. He has natural offensive talent, vision, and hockey iq. He can score, he can pass, he can skate, and his defensive game is so solid, that I believe that with the right development he could go back in time remove Travis Moen from Anaheim's checking line in 2007 and improve it. At the NHL level I see him being a prototypical Sammy Pahlsson, meaning his checking game (which he decided to work on) will be at the same level, or better, and he'll add even more of a scoring touch. Think a combination of Pahlsson and Big Buff. I've seen him play 10 times and I've been left impressed each time.

Hope that helped. :)

Some of this I agree with and some I do not. I have watched quite a bit of Holland as my brother lives in Syracuse, and I absolutely think he has 1st round potential. That is not to say I believe with any certinaty that he will be a 1st liner, but he has the skill set. Many young players struggle with consistency (see Ryan Getzlaf), but I think his game will translate well to the NHL in the same way Getzlaf's did.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some of this I agree with and some I do not. I have watched quite a bit of Holland as my brother lives in Syracuse, and I absolutely think he has 1st round potential. That is not to say I believe with any certinaty that he will be a 1st liner, but he has the skill set. Many young players struggle with consistency (see Ryan Getzlaf), but I think his game will translate well to the NHL in the same way Getzlaf's did.

I guess I may have misspoken my own point. I fully expect him to play at the NHL level. His max potential is to be a star in the second line role. But, we can't know that for sure. How many prospects have we had that were dynamite at the AHL level, and then couldn't handle the NHL. My own opinion is that this is most likely to happen to Holland...of the three players this topic covers.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I guess I may have misspoken my own point. I fully expect him to play at the NHL level. His max potential is to be a star in the second line role. But, we can't know that for sure. How many prospects have we had that were dynamite at the AHL level, and then couldn't handle the NHL. My own opinion is that this is most likely to happen to Holland...of the three players this topic covers.

why is his max potential a second line player? have you watched him play? his max potential is certainly first liner player, even if the likelihood is not great.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
why is his max potential a second line player? have you watched him play? his max potential is certainly first liner player, even if the likelihood is not great.

I guess I take the low likelihood into account as well as the fact that Getzlaf is already our top line center in that assessment.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Yeah. I actually agree with this. Holland-Palmieri are like Getz-Perry lite. Holland plays like Getzlaf, minus several talent levels, and Palmieri plays like Perry minus a few talent levels and pest mentality.

Wrong.. Holland isn't afraid to shoot the puck! lol

In terms of ceiling I'd rate them

Holland
Etem
Palmieri

In terms of heart/grit I'd rank them

Palmieri
Etem
Holland

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
All very helpful, thanks a bunch for your comments. Keep 'em comin'.

I hear that Palmieri is being brought along as a LW, is that true? If that's the case, do you think he might eventually be a fit on the 1st line with Getz/Perry, allowing Carlyle to slot Ryan on the 2nd line and spread out the scoring?

And yes, Smith-Pelly is obviously in the mix here too. Didn't mean to neglect him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
All very helpful, thanks a bunch for your comments. Keep 'em comin'.

I hear that Palmieri is being brought along as a LW, is that true? If that's the case, do you think he might eventually be a fit on the 1st line with Getz/Perry, allowing Carlyle to slot Ryan on the 2nd line and spread out the scoring?

And yes, Smith-Pelly is obviously in the mix here too. Didn't mean to neglect him.

We've had several players that we believed would take Ryan's spot. No one has worked out. So...we'll see.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
We've had several players that we believed would take Ryan's spot. No one has worked out. So...we'll see.

He'd be the first skilled guy to be tried there, no? (probably depends on your definition of skilled, I suppose)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Etem is the fastest kid in the WHL. Blazing speed and magic hands. A bit selfish at times and a bit one-dimensional. With some rounding out he could be something special. Dynamic. Ducks are a good drafting team.

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
Etem is the fastest kid in the WHL. Blazing speed and magic hands. A bit selfish at times and a bit one-dimensional. With some rounding out he could be something special. Dynamic. Ducks are a good drafting team.

or they got very lucky last year that Etem and Fowler fell to them last year.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I guess I take the low likelihood into account as well as the fact that Getzlaf is already our top line center in that assessment.

Understood. I am not accessing his potential as first line center for the ducks (ahead of Getzlaf), but rather that he has the skill set to be a 1st line calibre playef in the NHL.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What do you all think of Deschamps and Sexton?

Deschamps looks like a permanent AHLer. Sexton? I think under a different coach he can max his potential and be the next Andy McDonald. 05-07 Andy Mac

He'd be the first skilled guy to be tried there, no? (probably depends on your definition of skilled, I suppose)

They might try McMillan. I hope the Ducks get Jokinen and re-sign Selanne.
Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Blake-Koivu-Selanne
Jokinen-McMillan-Ryan
Beleskey-Marchant-Parros Niiiice

Thanks for the insight. Would you be worried about his skating stance?

or they got very lucky last year that Etem and Fowler fell to them last year.

Initially I was pretty upset with the Devante Smith-Pelly pick (I'm still just a bit bummed we didn't get Toffoli) but he has blown me away, so I'd say we drafted pretty well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Kunitz and Penner both worked out but they were pre Ryan. Beleskey looked good for stretches in 2009-10 but was injured last year so could never stick on their line. Palmieri as far as I know has only played RW in Syracuse. He played RW whenever he was called up to Anaheim too. I have no idea if Carlyle or Murray have any intentions for him to play with the twins but if they do, I doubt it will be next year.

Sexton has great speed and work ethich but has no hands, a weak shot and tunnel vision. If he had an ounce of creativity and vision he could perhaps be a somewhat decent playmaker from the wing but unfortunately for him he has neither. He'll be a top 6 player on a lottery pick team and an AHL all star for any team which is somewhat talented and deep. Outside of his hot streak to start his career (where every shot he took seemed to trickle through the goalie somehow) his production has been very poor.

Deschamps I haven't seen much of but from everything I've heard he projects as a bottom 6 two way forward at best.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Lets not be so harsh on Deschamps. The guy has only played one season in the AHL, and produced solid rookie numbers for a guy projecting to become a 3rd liner at best. I think he'll make his NHL debute in a couple of years, but I'm not so sure if it's going to be with the Ducks.

Sexton is three years older and I think he's pretty much done developing. He must have the weakest shot in the league. If he can improve that he might be able to stick in the NHL thanks to his speed. But until he improves his shot I think he's more destined to be another Ryan Shannon or Andrew Ebbett rather than Andy McDonald.

wesott11

May 13, 2009
huntington beach,CA

I Don't think sexton has it to make it at the NHL level. He's predictable, he's small, his shot isn't anything that will impress.... Plus he isn't well rounded at all. Don't expect much from him in his own zone.

I fully expect another team to give him a shot after he fails with Anaheim and then it's either Ahl or Europe for good.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Holland, I see as having the most upside here. Excels on special teams. 6 pts in 3 AHL games is a small sample but promising nonetheless. Has all the tools, good size, good skater, just needs to put the effort in consistently.

Palmieri has an NHL style game but lacks a little size. When he learns how to find the holes, he should become a solid 2nd line winger.

Etem, I see as a having the highest bust potential of the 3. A little soft, and offense is very plain vanilla (note:I only saw him play a # of times in his draft yr, none this past season).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Holland, I see as having the most upside here. Excels on special teams. 6 pts in 3 AHL games is a small sample but promising nonetheless. Has all the tools, good size, good skater, just needs to put the effort in consistently.

Palmieri has an NHL style game but lacks a little size. When he learns how to find the holes, he should become a solid 2nd line winger.

Etem, I see as a having the highest bust potential of the 3. A little soft, and offense is very plain vanilla (note:I only saw him play a # of times in his draft yr, none this past season).

Something here doesn't compute. The guy isn't "plain vanilla" on offense. He's one of the most dynamic players in the WHL..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad