News Article: Holland nixed promotion that would have made Stevie GM

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
When Steve Yzerman left the front office to manage the Lightning, Mike Ilitch said he had approached Holland about moving up in the front office to make room for Yzerman as general manager.

Ilitch said Holland declined.

Now, Holland’s tasks are formidable and mounting, and his joke several seasons ago that Lidstrom’s retirement might hasten his own is less humorous.

He faces fierce urgency in a hot kitchen, likely to get only hotter.

source: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...and-needs-deal-way-out-wings-morass/83406300/

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That is mind boggling to me, considering Holland over the last few years has not appeared to be very active as a general manager.

Like, what?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why does it seem like Holland and company are more or less willing to let the rot set in with the Red Wings? There's always the sense Detroit is waiting for the next shoe to drop.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Why does it seem like Holland and company are more or less willing to let the rot set in with the Red Wings? There's always the sense Detroit is waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Why make moves when you can kick tires?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep in mind at the time, Holland also likely viewed this as something terrible to do to Jim Nill.

I think he wanted to continue being GM regardless, clearly that played out later with Nill. But certainly to Holland even with the love everyone has for Yzerman, jumping Jim Nill who was actually next in line probably wasn't a cool part of this story.

Feel about it what you want. It is unfortunate, not sure Yzerman has a time machine for Datsyuk or Zetterberg though either.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This demonstrates what I have been saying on here for years: Loyalty and complacency are the orders of the day in the organization. Holland could have moved up, probably retained a level of control in managing Detroit, and Yzerman could have stayed in Detroit. Instead, he turns down more money, a higher position, and Stevie leaves the organization he has been a part of decades because Holland couldn't step aside.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Keep in mind at the time, Holland also likely viewed this as something terrible to do to Jim Nill.

I think he wanted to continue being GM regardless, clearly that played out later with Nill. But certainly to Holland even with the love everyone has for Yzerman, jumping Jim Nill who was actually next in line probably wasn't a cool part of this story.

Feel about it what you want. It is unfortunate, not sure Yzerman has a time machine for Datsyuk or Zetterberg though either.

It was an open secret that Yzerman was above Nill because of his years of being the face of the Wings. Nill only became heir apparent when Yzerman moved on. It's unfortunate, but Yzerman was, by virtue of his relationship with the Ilitches and Detroit the golden child.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It was an open secret that Yzerman was above Nill because of his years of being the face of the Wings. Nill only became heir apparent when Yzerman moved on. It's unfortunate, but Yzerman was, by virtue of his relationship with the Ilitches and Detroit the golden child.

Not surprised to see Nill throw in his lot with Jimmy Lites in Dallas then as a nice **** you to the Ilitch family.

Which is probably something to keep in mind for those of you that think if we strike out in luring Yzerman back we can just go get Nill. He is likely dead to the family for doing that. I was surprised he would, this gives the angle I have always wondered about in terms of that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I was just going to post much the same thing. This was already pretty well known I thought.

There was a rumor to this effect when Yzerman left, but it was left as unsubstantiated. Basically the fact that this has been confirmed might be a first crack in the relationship between Holland and the Ilitches.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
To play devil's advocate here:

And if Stevie did about the same as Wings GM or missed the PO, then what?

TB had a couple blue chip players to build around, due to their lack of playoff success, which is nice to have once the team starts to gel. The Wings aren't getting some of these blue chip prospects, because they aren't good enough at being bad, but on the other hand, the fan base probably would be even more distressed if the Wings did miss the playoffs...pick your poison, people. I swear this fan base is never happy with anything.

If you want better players, the team will probably have to miss the playoffs, and do it badly, maybe not as bad as the Dead Wings and Darkness with Harkness era, but who knows.

Not to say that he could or couldn't do better than Holland, but so what, he's down in TB now.

But it makes for good blog fodder in the meantime.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I always thought this was well known. I remember Holland even saying that he was offered a promotion but he wanted to stay on as GM.

I don't know where you heard it why you thought it was well known. If it were it would of been mentioned on this board a thousand times since and I've never heard about this happening.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To play devil's advocate here:

And if Stevie did about the same as Wings GM or missed the PO, then what?

TB had a couple blue chip players to build around, due to their lack of playoff success, which is nice to have once the team starts to gel. The Wings aren't getting some of these blue chip prospects, because they aren't good enough at being bad, but on the other hand, the fan base probably would be even more distressed if the Wings did miss the playoffs...pick your poison, people. I swear this fan base is never happy with anything.

If you want better players, the team will probably have to miss the playoffs, and do it badly, maybe not as bad as the Dead Wings and Darkness with Harkness era, but who knows.

Not to say that he could or couldn't do better than Holland, but so what, he's down in TB now.

But it makes for good blog fodder in the meantime.

From an outsiders point of view, I always thought the Red Wings needed a jolt, and it's somewhat ironic that Jim Nill did for Dallas with the Seguin trade what Detroit needed to get going again.

At the time, Dallas was going nowhere, had nothing and looked like they were going to be the next basement dwellers. It was strange to see a former Detroit manager make such a bold trade while giving up not that much to Boston.

The Red Wings just appear to be one of those late dynasties where decay has set in and there's no more forward momentum. Management needs some fresh blood.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I was under the impression that we knew this was a thing? Like, it's not news to me that Holland turned down a promotion and it led to Yzerman leaving Detroit.

There can only be one GM, and Holland earned the right to stay on as GM. Unfortunately, the Holland we got after this occurred has been very lazy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I always thought this was well known. I remember Holland even saying that he was offered a promotion but he wanted to stay on as GM.

I was just going to post much the same thing. This was already pretty well known I thought.

I remember rumors circulating that Holland was asked about moving upstairs and it didn't fit his timeline. I was not sure if it was for either Nill or Yzerman.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, Holland wasn't really at a retirement age at a time, he still isn't really.

To get rid of him within the next 4-5 years you'll probably have to fire him for performance-related issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad