Helene St. James Holland: Mike Babcock extension unlikely before season

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Could this be a power move on Babcock's part to get the roster that he wants? Its no secret that a lot of Holland's strategy with respect to keeping kids in the AHL is financially-motivated. Babs wants Jurco on the team, but this is a man's league and Jurco is only 21. With waiver eligibility.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Could this be a power move on Babcock's part to get the roster that he wants? Its no secret that a lot of Holland's strategy with respect to keeping kids in the AHL is financially-motivated. Babs wants Jurco on the team, but this is a man's league and Jurco is only 21. With waiver eligibility.

If Babcock is having to pull such a move to get the roster he wants, I think he's definitely gone.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Babcock isn't signed before the season starts he's not coming back. If he really wanted to be here he'd have already signed a deal.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
10 years is a long time. Maybe Babs would like a change of scenery, just to stay fresh. Not unheard of in the coaching business.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Yeah wow, it really casts that Jurco quote in a different light.

I wonder what's going through his head on taking a stand on this issue? Either he thinks Jurco is *that* good, or he thinks he can make a run with a properly assembled team, or Jurco is just the tipping point and he's been upset about an inferior roster for a while now.

Maybe we were wrong. Babcock's comments about how slow the team was last year could be taken in at least a couple ways. It's either just talk, or he was forced into that situation because of Holland's roster mess. Maybe he was being told to play certain players in order to make the cap/roster work.

I dunno, I have a tough time believing that Babcock would go for that kind of arrangement. He seems like the kind of guy who knows exactly what he wants and would not settle for less. Especially since he's so competitive. If he truly wanted some of those kids right from the start, I feel like he would have made that abundantly clear.

Either way, this is a pretty interesting turn of events.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I would put it this way:

Jurco with 50-60 total career (20-30 at this season) games will cost 950k with his next contract.

Jurco with 100 total (~70 at this season) career game will cost Tatar-money 2.5M with his next contract.

Jurco on the roster is a short-term coache's move for best possible roster and Jurco partially out from the roster is a long-term GM move to control future caphits.

Both decisions have a valid point. There's no good or bad decisions.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jurco on the roster is a short-term coache's move for best possible roster and Jurco partially out from the roster is a long-term GM move to control future caphits.

We don't have that many roster spots to fill next season and isn't the cap going up? Cleary better be gone for realzies next year, Alfie will almost definitely retire if he doesn't this season. Gustavsson probably won't be back. That's some money getting cleared up.

We have Smith, Nyquist, and Jurco coming up for contracts next season. All 3 are RFA. I just don't see the cap situation as being all that scary with that in mind. At least, not to the point of purposefully putting out a worse roster.

Say everyone get's a Tatar/Dekesyer deal. That's 7.5M next year for those 3 guys at the most.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would put it this way:

Jurco with 50-60 total career (20-30 at this season) games will cost 950k with his next contract.

Jurco with 100 total (~70 at this season) career game will cost Tatar-money 2.5M with his next contract.

We lit 2.5 million on fire this year, so play Jurco and then pay him if he puts up Tatar numbers.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would put it this way:

I find the idea of purposefully making your roster worse to save some money down the line to be preposterous.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We lit 2.5 million on fire this year, so play Jurco and then pay him if he puts up Tatar numbers.

Hey now, hey now.

It might only be 1.5M.
I find the idea of purposefully making your roster worse to save some money down the line to be preposterous.

Yeah there might be certain situations where I find it compelling, but not ours presently. For example, if we had a bunch of roster holes and not that much money. Because we definitely want to keep Nyquist and Jurco and probably Smith long term. All 3 come up for contracts next season as RFAs. If we were up against the cap and keeping Jurco down made him cheaper and afforded us the cap space to sign Nyquist and Smith, that's an okay idea. The thing is, like I said, we have plenty of players signed for next season and only a few holes. We can afford to play Jurco and pay all 3 RFAs as long as we don't do anything really stupid again. Cleary, Gustavsson coming off, maybe one of Andy/Glendening.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Whatever. If you're going to pinch pennies on contracts to not play Jurco, don't go spend money on dumb ****.

Even Holland knows he can't justify that contract on anything but "I made an oath."

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Just a gut feeling of mine, Is that if Babcock does'nt resign within the next few days. Then he is as good as gone! I can't believe that a deal would'nt have already been done if he truly wanted to stay by now. And Dreger pretty much said the exact same thing.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
He is obviously done in Hockeytown.

If he had wanted to stay, a deal would have been done by now. Kenny knew that he was leaning towards leaving but had hoped to change his mind.
All week we had been hearing how Kenny and the Illitches had an offer ready to present him.... They met, the offer was made and Babcock turned it down... Both guys come out of the meeting agreeing on one thing, that they aren't going to talk to the media about his contract any more.... it can only mean one thing. Babcock has stated he is in fact leaving at the end of his contract and now both men are hoping this doesn't turn into a circus before he leaves.

The only question left is who is going to replace him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Babcock unlike a forthcoming UFa player dosent want or need to hold off resigning before the season starts because of a desire to play well and increase his value.

If by game one he isnt signed its because he flat out dosent want to coach here and has made up his mind. He would be able to get the same deal today from the DRW as he would next July as he is already the best in the business.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would put it this way:

cap space is only useful if used smart.

they haven't done that, especially this offseason.

if jurco gets tatar money, he has scored at 20G + 50 point level. that costs close to 5 mil or more at UFA.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
29 other fan bases would love our 'trash'.

Yup. Not to mention losing him to the Leafs or Penguins turns the best coach in the world into an asset to be used against us.

This forum must get along well with Barney Stinson:

search

Edit: Not sure how to post a picture? Its a reference to Barney's, "New is always better" rule

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not so convinced he's gone. But unless we look like a team that can contend for the cup by the end of the year, yeah he'll probably leave. Babcock is just too good a coach to stay with a bubble team, he can easily sign with a top team and be on a contender each year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad