Sportsnet: Holl: "I gotta make it happen"

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sigh, Another soft defenseman?

I mean yeah...he looked good in terms of pace and stick handling. Seems to have some puck smarts in the limited time I saw him. But he seemed really slow footed and soft, especially for a guy his size.

We have enough of those D-Man as is...I really want give a guy like Borman and Ozhighanov a chance. Add a different element to our team

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I mean yeah...he looked good in terms of pace and stick handling. Seems to have some puck smarts in the limited time I saw him. But he seemed really slow footed and soft, especially for a guy his size.

We have enough of those D-Man as is...I really want give a guy like Borman and Ozhighanov a chance. Add a different element to our team

Who knows what will happen. That's why we have pre season and all that.

Reactions: OVO16

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Why would he do that?

And even if he did, you want him up against the best players in the league? I dont want Holl against Ovie, Kane, McD, Crosby etc

Reactions: Cams

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm rooting for every guy in this organization, but I will be among the surprised if Holl makes the team. He's right, he's gotta be the one to make it happen and steal a job, but I don't have high expectations for him. If he's a capable pressbox defenceman this year and gets into 15-20 games this year, that's a success in my book. I'm not particularly enamoured with Carrick either, but he's the much better option for 3rd pairing RD IMO.

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Borgman - Holl in the box, though my money is on Holl playing the year with the Marlies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think he will get a look this season. We will inevitably need reinforcements due to injuries and he is definitely in our top 8-9 defencemen in terms of depth.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What on earth makes you think Holl is ready for top pairing duties?

The 0.5% chance of him having a rookie season like Brian Dumoulin's I guess (who actually had a very similar upbringing to Holl in Pittsburgh's system).

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The 0.5% chance of him having a rookie season like Brian Dumoulin's I guess (who actually had a very similar upbringing to Holl in Pittsburgh's system).

If he can up his Physicality his other attributes are of NHL calibre.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would like to see more of him before I make up my mind.

I did like his play with Dermott, but it was too small a sample to form much of a judgement.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Curious if the people writing him off have seen anything more than the 2 games he played with the Leafs.

To see people say he's soft or slow makes me question if they were paying attention at all.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I like Holl, and think he is a 7th or 8th d-man. Hoping for more is setting yourself up for disappointment. I am the most intrigued by Ozi, as he has played for years in the second best league in the world. He is my sleeper pick for someone with potential to truly surprise.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
This is where we need one of these guys to take a step and evolve into a top 4D man. We have plenty of these wildcards, Rosen/Borgman/Holl/Ozhi-whatever/Lilj...someone needs to step up.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Why do people keep advocating moving our left shot d to the right side? We’ve already seen these experiments with Reilly and Gardiner and clearly they don’t like it and aren’t at their best. Now people want Dermott to play his off side? No thanks. Hainsey is the only one who can play the ride side d comfortably and also the fact that Babs wants his defence balanced. Stop coming up with these cockamamie d pairings.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

His first 3 strides and the stop and re-start will keep him out of the NHL. His long reach compensates for this in the AHL. Guys in the NHL are too smart and skate too well.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Holl was my dark horse pick to make the team last year, I'd like to see him make the grade based on what I've seen from him on the Marlies, he plays the style of game we need on the team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What I liked beside his two goals was his confidence and comfort level in both games. Didn’t seem to panic when the other teams were pressing.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
We have a few D ahead of him. My prediction is Holl becomes the Josh Leivo of the defense.. At best, make the club but won’t get to play regularly.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not see him getting much of a shot. Out of the guys on the Marlies alone, he's behind Marincin and Rosen for ice time. Add in Borgman, Carrick, Ozhiganov and Dermott all ahead of him as well for 3 spots (I doubt they use 8 spots on defense over 14 at forward), then you are facing an uphill battle if you are Holl. He is an AHL vet not much unlike Loverde. Maybe he gets more opportunities than Loverde, but his value is to the Marlies, not the Leafs. It'll take a lot of underperforming players or injuries for him to get any sort of legitimate ice time in the NHL.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I do not see him getting much of a shot. Out of the guys on the Marlies alone, he's behind Marincin and Rosen for ice time. Add in Borgman, Carrick, Ozhiganov and Dermott all ahead of him as well for 3 spots (I doubt they use 8 spots on defense over 14 at forward), then you are facing an uphill battle if you are Holl. He is an AHL vet not much unlike Loverde. Maybe he gets more opportunities than Loverde, but his value is to the Marlies, not the Leafs. It'll take a lot of underperforming players or injuries for him to get any sort of legitimate ice time in the NHL.

The Leafs pretty much have a top 10 LD and a bottom 10 RD.

So, how many of these players you describe as being ahead of Holl are actually RD? Marincin? Who played himself off the leafs pretty much permanently and then took a major paycut? Ozy? Who's never played a game in NA and was at best a bottom pairing player in the KHL last year? Carrick? who Babcock seems to prefer in the pressbox? Sure its uphill, but given T.Os lack of decent RD, not as high a grade as you suggest.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The way ppl on the Leafs seem to be talking about Holl, he could be the next Hyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad