Sportsnet: Holl: "I gotta make it happen"

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Holl in thick of Leafs roster battle: 'I gotta make it happen' - Sportsnet.ca

"A positive sign: During the Leafs’ unofficial (but fairly formalized) hour-long, pre-camp practices at MasterCard Centre — observed from the bleachers by president Brendan Shanahan, head coach Mike Babcock, and his staff — Holl is now skating with the main group, while other candidates for the fringes of the big club’s defence core (Jordan Subban, Andreas Borgman, Calle Rosen) are training with the Marlies group."

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He looked good in the two games he played with the big club. No reason he shouldn't have stayed with us to close the year Imo.
I could see our d halfway through as such.

Dermott/Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott/Gardiner - Zaitsev/Holl
Hainsey- Holl/Carrick

Many factors to consider with our inexperienced d at the NHL level(dermott, Carrick, Holl, zaitsev)

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I would 've liked to have seen more. Lou complimented him by pointing out Rafalskis path to the NHL. Holl is right though,he has to play well to get on this mediocre d squad.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
My fav Marlie d'man but he needs to tighten up his defensive game if he wants to be a Leaf regular.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dark horse candidate of mine to make the team at some point. Think he can be a very useful and stable bottom pairing guy

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Carrick
_____ ______

6 dmen and only 2 spots available:
Holl Rosen Borgman Ozhiganov Liljegren Marincin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our RHD really is god-awful. If the main plan is to run Hainsey into the ground with the most PK minutes in the league again, it's not going to work out well.

Reactions: ToMaLe and TimeZone

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If some of the younger guys impress Babcock at camp, I wonder if the Leafs may opt to flip Hainsey to clear out a spot

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's all part of the developmental game and what good organizations do to try and find those competitive advantages and hidden gems. Guys like Justin Braun, Alec Martinez, Adam McQuaid, Johnny Boychuk, Jake Muzzin, Colin Miller, Kevan Miller, Dan Girardi, Mark Giordano, etc. all came out of nowhere with no hype but with time, development, luck they turned into something. Leafs are doing the same thing here with Holl, and will be trying to do with Rosen, Borgman, etc.

Reactions: Keon1963 and IPS

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Let's see how Holl does in camp.

Scoring a couple of goals in sheltered minutes in blowout games isn't the most convincing evidence hes ready for the big show but if hes back to his high level AHL form before he took that puck to the face, it's a possibility.

Hainsey isn't going anywhere.

He showed he can still play before he tired down the stretch and a healthy Zaitsev and hopefully Dermott/Rielly will help shelter his PK minutes a bit. I admired how he finished the Bruins series strong after a rough first half of the series.

Reactions: Cams

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's all part of the developmental game and what good organizations do to try and find those competitive advantages and hidden gems. Guys like Justin Braun, Alec Martinez, Adam McQuaid, Johnny Boychuk, Jake Muzzin, Colin Miller, Kevan Miller, Dan Girardi, Mark Giordano, etc. all came out of nowhere with no hype but with time, development, luck they turned into something. Leafs are doing the same thing here with Holl, and will be trying to do with Rosen, Borgman, etc.

Don't forget about Brian Dumoulin from the Penguins. Very similar situation and upbringing from Pittsburgh there. He was 25 when he finally got a full time spot with the Pens.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
At this point I think Babs would be stupid not to try Gardiner - Rielly pairing. Cut back on Hainsey's mileage and play him with Holl/Carrick/Oz.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
At this point I think Babs would be stupid not to try Gardiner - Rielly pairing. Cut back on Hainsey's mileage and play him with Holl/Carrick/Oz.

So you want:

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Holl/Oz/Carrick

A couple problems: If Zaitsev does not properly bounce back and Dermott (who's still very young) cannot adequately play a top-4 role, we got huge problems. The second problem you run into is that you have your 2 best transition D-men on the same pairing, that will largely reduce the effectiveness of the Leafs transition.

There's just a ton of ifs about this defense no matter what way one looks at it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So you want:

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Holl/Oz/Carrick

A couple problems: If Zaitsev does not properly bounce back and Dermott (who's still very young) cannot adequately play a top-4 role, we got huge problems. The second problem you run into is that you have your 2 best transition D-men on the same pairing, that will largely reduce the effectiveness of the Leafs transition.

There's just a ton of ifs about this defense no matter what way one looks at it.
Agreed.
The goal right now is to have one of Rielly/Gardiner on the ice as much as possible. To cover at least 40 some minutes of the game and not 20.
We’d be strained to much at present leaving that big gap of time to fill.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Dark horse candidate of mine to make the team at some point. Think he can be a very useful and stable bottom pairing guy
He's not a dark horse.
Lots of people figure he's gonna be on the team. He's good and not waiver exempt.
Personally, I think it's bad if he doesn't make the team.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd imagine he's 7th/8th D to start. Time and eventual opportunity will tell if he consistently becomes more than that.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Carrick
_____ ______

6 dmen and only 2 spots available:
Holl Rosen Borgman Ozhiganov Liljegren Marincin

I'll agree with your top 5....but Carrick is "iffy". He wasn't good enough (in Babcock's eyes) to play and Polak took his place.
So the competition for 6 and 7...Carrick, Borgman, Ozhiganov and Holl.
I like Borgman, if he could make the LHD, maybe Dermot can switch to the right side.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Gardiner - Reilly (not really a choice)
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Holl (have some chemistry)
Carrick

I could see that. Not a fan of the first pairing defensively though.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
And Holl isn't over rated? He had once in a lifetime debut, but he has been a career AHLer for a reason. I'd rather see Borgman/Rosen up. Borgman is actually a D who can and will lay the body which is sorely lacking on this team.
We don't know what Holl is, yet. We have a better understanding of what Carrick is, and IMO it's not a whole lot. Let's give Holl a chance.

But yes, I agree I want to see Borgman or Rosen in as well. If only they were RHD...

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad