Holik Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I have a question regarding Bobby Holik. I was just reading the new issue of The Hockey News and I read about Team USA GM Larry Pleau eliminating Holik from consideration from the team because the IIHF has declared him ineligable for World Championships and the Olympics. Does anyone know the reason for that? Despite the possible reasons I think that is kind of a lame way to not invite someone to the team that he really wanted to play for. :dunno:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Dan Galvin said:
USA GM Larry Pleau eliminating Holik from consideration from the team because the IIHF has declared him ineligable for World Championships and the Olympics. Does anyone know the reason for that?

He played for Czechoslovakia at the 1991 World Championships.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
jekoh said:

Thats true but this is not an IIHF event so players can play for their non-birth or non-original countries. Nabakov is an example for Russia. He originally played for Kazakhstan (I think) so in IIHF events he is ineligeble to play for Russia.

Bohologo

Apr 21, 2002
Tokyo
Visit site
jekoh said:
A country that no longer exists....I wonder why this would be held against him? Peter Nedved played for Czechoslovakia as a Jr., but then played for Canada in the Olympics.

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
Bohologo said:
A country that no longer exists....I wonder why this would be held against him? Peter Nedved played for Czechoslovakia as a Jr., but then played for Canada in the Olympics.

I'm pretty sure that once he became an American, the Czechs will not let him play for them either. Its almost like he's a man without a team.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Still not clear why he would be declared ineligable? Wouldn't he still be able to play for the Czech Republic? They may not want him now because he has become a U.S. citizen, but that is their choice not the IIHF's. I also feel bad because like someone else said the country no longer exsists. This isn't a sanctioned IIHF event. Nabokov is playing for Russia why can't Holik be apart of Team USA? It's not like we couldn't use his grit. I'm still not 100 percent clear why he is banned.

Last edited:

degroat*

I agree with Pleau's move here. Holik has never been part of USA Hockey in the past and he shouldn't be just for one tournament.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Dan Galvin said:
I also feel bad because like someone else said the country no longer exsists.

Why should this make any difference ? Czechia took Czechoslovakia's spot in every IIHF championship.

Dan Galvin said:
I'm still not 100 percent clear why he is banned.

He's not "banned" for the World Cup.

Nobody gets banned in the World Cup (well, at least not on citizenship grounds). Even Nedved could switch countries a second time and play for Czechia in 1996.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
If USA wanted him to play, he would play. This tournament has nothing to do with IIHF. The same is with Nabokov and Zubrus. He didn't have a great season so obviously they didn't wanted him on the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stich said:
I agree with Pleau's move here. Holik has never been part of USA Hockey in the past and he shouldn't be just for one tournament.

I don't think it's unreasonable that the U.S. went with guys that are eligible for all international events, and have participated on national teams in the past.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i thought nedved was in some sort of U17 tournement in alberta playing for czecheslovakia, and he defected at the end of the tournament

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
No one wants Holik not because he's American or Czech, but simply because he sucks at hockey.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
He's not "banned" for the World Cup.

Nobody gets banned in the World Cup (well, at least not on citizenship grounds). Even Nedved could switch countries a second time and play for Czechia in 1996.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should have worded this better. I know he is not banned for the World Cup so to say even though in a way he is since that was the reason Pleau took him out of consideration. Banned isn't the word I should have used but ineligable also means he is not playing. Pleau said that since the IIHF declared him ineligable for World Champs and Olympics, he was not under consideration for the U.S. team. I know now he made an appearance for Czechoslovokia in the early 90's. Since he made that appearance I understand why he is ineligable for the U.S., but why can't he still play for the Czech Republic if he and the country's hockey people want him?

leafaholix*

Countries should stick with players they've developed.

Not players who suddenly have citizenship.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
i'm not sure whether holik should be allowed to play for either the czech republic or the u.s.a. in the world cup. even though he seems pretty passionate about wanting to have been on the american roster, can't really say one way or the other if i believe that he should be representing the u.s. if born-americans who are as deserving are available.

with all that said, it seems a player of his calibre, and one who personally had a good bounce-back season, should be playing in the world cup with somebody...anybody.

Bohologo

Apr 21, 2002
Tokyo
Visit site
ginner said:
Yeah I don't think he did. Nedved defected when he was 17 (maybe even 16) and ended up living in Calgary for a while before joining the Seattle Thunderbirds. He would probably not have made any U20 teams by that age though it is possible he played U18.
I thought Nedved defected while touring Canada with an under-18 team (perhaps it was a club team?). Maybe someone with a more reliable memory can confirm this.

Bohologo

Apr 21, 2002
Tokyo
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Countries should stick with players they've developed.

Not players who suddenly have citizenship.
And your reasoning would be? Why shouldn't people have the freedom to move somewhere for a better life? If Holik is a proud America, who cares? I find this jingoism to be pretty sad.

leafaholix*

Bohologo said:
And your reasoning would be? Why shouldn't people have the freedom to move somewhere for a better life? If Holik is a proud America, who cares? I find this jingoism to be pretty sad.
It's about hockey.

USA Hockey has done nothing for the development of Bobby Holik.

leafaholix*

Mobey said:
So can USA hockey stake claims to Martin St. Louis, Paul Kariya, Dany Heatley, Marty Turco, and so on?
All of those players were developed into NCAA calibre players in Canada.

leafaholix*

Mobey said:
So? All of those players were developed into NHL calibre players in the US College hockey system.
They were introduced to the sport in Canada and learned how to play the game up here.

Much like Holik learned to play the game in the Czech-Republic.

They were developed in Canada... there's no point in arguing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad